|Elevation||1,190 m (3,900 ft)|
|Time zone||UTC+3 (EAT)|
Mpondwe is located in the Rwenzori Mountains in Kasese District. The town is at the border with the Democratic Republic of the Congo (DRC). Bwera is another settlement to the immediate east of the Mpondwe border crossing. The Mpondwe Town Council incorporates Bwera, and in this article "Mpondwe" refers to the combined "Mpondwe-Bwera" metropolitan area.
Mpondwe is approximately 61 kilometres (38 mi), by road, south-west of Kasese, where the district headquarters are located. This location is approximately 432 kilometres (268 mi), by road, west of Kampala, Uganda's capital and largest city. The coordinates of the town are 0° 02' 24.00"N, 29° 43' 30.00"E (Latitude:0.0400; Longitude:29.7250).
Mpondwe is one of the three busiest border crossings between Uganda and the Democratic Republic of the Congo, namely, Goli, in Nebbi District, Bunagana, in Kisoro District. The town is the busiest border crossing between the two countries, based on volume of exports and imports.
In 2002, the national population census estimated the population of Mpondwe at 12,050. In 2010, the Uganda Bureau of Statistics (UBOS) estimated the population at 16,100. In 2011, UBOS estimated the mid-year population at 16,700. The national census in August 2014 put the population at 51,018.
One Stop Border Post
In March 2018, The Independent (Uganda) reported that the government of Uganda, had secured a loan of US$14 million (USh50.4 billion), to facilitate cross-border trade between Uganda and DR Congo. The Ugandan government, through the Uganda Ministry of Trade, Industry and Cooperatives and the Uganda Ministry of Works and Transport, in collaboration with other stakeholders plans to use the borrowed funds to construct a one-stop-border-post (OSPB) and a Border Export Zone (BEZ) at Mpondwe.
Points of interest
The following points of interest lie within the town limits or close to the edges of town:
- Offices of the Uganda Revenue Authority
- Bwera General Hospital - A 120-bed public Hospital, administered by the Uganda Ministry of Health
- Mpondwe Central Market
- Offices of Mpondwe-Bwera Town Council
- International border crossing between Uganda and the Democratic Republic of the Congo
- Crispus Kiyonga - Physician and politician. Minister of defence in the Cabinet of Uganda. He was born here and maintains a home in the area. He also serves as the elected member of Parliament for this constituency.
- UBOS (27 August 2014). "The Population of The Regions of the Republic of Uganda And All Cities And Towns of More Than 15,000 Inhabitants". Citypopulation.de Quoting Uganda Bureau of Statistics (UBOS). Retrieved 23 February 2015.
- Ssali, Godfrey (6 March 2018). "Uganda: Mpondwe Export Zone to Boost Trade Between Uganda and DR Congo". The Independent (Uganda) via AllAfrica.com. Kampala. Retrieved 8 March 2018.
- Globefeed.com (8 March 2018). "Distance between Kasese Post Office, Rwenzori Road, Kasese, Uganda and Mpondwe Customs Police Station, Uganda". Globefeed.com. Retrieved 8 March 2018.
- Globefeed.com (8 March 2018). "Distance between Post Office Building, Kampala Road, Kampala, Uganda and Mpondwe Customs Police Station, Uganda". Globefeed.com. Retrieved 8 March 2018.
- Google (2 July 2015). "Location of Mpondwe At Google Maps" (Map). Google Maps. Google. Retrieved 2 July 2015.
- Muwanga, David (10 August 2006). "Busia leads in border trade". New Vision. Kampala. Retrieved 19 May 2016.
- UBOS. "Estimated Population of Mpondwe In 2002, 2010 And 2011" (PDF). Uganda Bureau of Statistics (UBOS). Retrieved 11 June 2014.
- POU (2011). "Profile of Kiyonga Chrispus Walter Barrabusa, Member of Parliament for Bukonjo County West, Kasese District". Parliament of Uganda (POU). Archived from the original on 27 May 2016. Retrieved 23 February 2015.