Mr. Bean (animated TV series)
|Mr. Bean: The Animated Series|
|Based on||Mr. Bean|
by Richard Curtis and Rowan Atkinson
|Country of origin|
|No. of seasons||5|
|No. of episodes||130 (list of episodes)|
|Running time||11 minutes|
|Original network||ITV (2002–2003)|
|Audio format||Dolby Surround|
|Original release||Original series:|
5 January 2002 – 2 June 2004
16 February 2015 –
|Related shows||Mr. Bean|
Mr. Bean: The Animated Series (also known as simply Mr. Bean) is a British animated sitcom produced by Tiger Aspect Productions in association with Richard Purdum Productions, Varga Holdings and Sunwoo Entertainment (for its first three seasons). Based on the 1990-95 British live-action television sitcom of the same name created by Richard Curtis and Rowan Atkinson, the series centers on Mr. Bean (voiced by the latter), Teddy, Irma Gobb and the Reliant Regal's mysterious driver with the addition of new characters such as Mrs. Wicket, Bean's landlady and her evil cat Scrapper. In February 2001, the series was officially announced, with it premiering shortly afterwards.
Debuting on 5 January 2002 and ending on 2 June 2004, three seasons and 52 episodes were originally broadcast, each consisting of two 11-minute segments. The first two seasons were originally broadcast on ITV1 at a prime time Saturday night slot. In May 2004, the series left ITV1 and the third and final season was instead broadcast daily on CITV due to the series' appeal to younger audiences.
In January 2014, CITV announced a revival of the series with Rowan Atkinson returning as the voice of Mr. Bean, along with other cast members reprising their roles. The revival now features 78 new episodes; the new episodes began airing from 16 February 2015 onwards. The revival now contains more actual dialogue than in the original series which mostly featured little sound effects and mumbling.
- Mr. Bean (voiced by Rowan Atkinson) – The titular character and main protagonist of the series who wants every environment around him to be clean and out of trouble.
- Teddy – Mr. Bean's lifelong best friend. Despite being an inanimate object, Bean assumes that Teddy is alive, much like in the original live action series.
- Mrs. Wicket (voiced by Sally Grace) – Mr. Bean's mean-spirited elderly landlady who often despises Bean, but is occasionally friends with him.
- Scrapper - Mrs. Wicket's good one eyed pet cat who despises Mr. Bean, much like his owner.
- Irma Gobb (voiced by Matilda Ziegler) – Mr. Bean's long-suffering girlfriend.
- The Burglars – A duo of unnamed thieves (one stocky and the other small) who frequently commit crimes while in various disguises, but are nevertheless frequently defeated and arrested by the police, mainly when Mr. Bean is their victim/witness. The duo somewhat bear a striking physical resemblance to Peter Griffin and Stewie Griffin from Family Guy, although this is presumably coincidental.
- The Bruisers – Mr. Bean and Mrs. Wicket's neighbours, a working class family consisting of a father, mother, three spoiled children and a dog. While appearing as a whole family in the episodes "Neighbourly Bean" and "Scaredy Bean", the Bruisers appear as father and son in most episodes.
- Queen Elizabeth II – The queen regnant of the United Kingdom and the Commonwealth of whom Mr. Bean is a fan.
- Reliant Regal – A running gag object and vehicle that falls victim to accidents whenever Mr. Bean bypasses it in his Mini, much like in the original live action series.
- Lottie – Irma's teddy bear who looks identical to Teddy except she has eyelashes, a red bow and a skirt. She is portrayed as Teddy's girlfriend, but Mr. Bean dislikes this relationship.
|First aired||Last aired|
|1||18||5 January 2002||26 March 2002|
|2||16||16 February 2003||5 April 2003|
|3||18||6 May 2004||2 June 2004|
|4||52||16 February 2015||10 March 2016|
|5||26||9 April 2019||12 April 2020|
Mr. Bean: The Animated Series has been released on DVD by A&E Home Video in Region 1 (actually are Region Free) and by Universal Pictures Home Entertainment in Regions 2 and 4. In the United States, all 52 episodes of the series were released on six volumes while in the United Kingdom and Australia, the six volumes only contained 47 of the 52 episodes with the last five episodes instead appearing each as extras on DVDs of the original live-action series.
The reason for this is that when the five episodes were classified by the BBFC in the United Kingdom, they were given a PG certificate rather than a U certificate, unlike the other episodes. It was decided that the DVDs of the series should have a U certificate, so the five PG episodes weren't included.
|DVD title||Season(s)||Episode count||Release date||Episodes|
|Bean There, Done That||1, 2||8||30 September 2003||13 ("Nurse!") – 20 ("Inventor")|
|Whatever Will Bean, Will Bean||2||10||30 March 2004||21 ("Royal Bean") – 30 ("Restaurant")|
|It's All Bean to Me||2, 3||8||31 ("Art Thief") – 38 ("Keyboard Capers")|
|Grin and Bean It||1, 3||28 September 2004||3 ("No Parking"), 4 ("Bean's Bounty"), 39 ("Artful Bean") – 44 ("Egg and Bean")|
|The Ends Justify the Beans||3||45 ("Camping") – 52 ("Double Trouble")|
|It's Not Easy Being Bean||1||10||1 ("In the Wild"), 2 ("Missing Teddy"), 5 ("Mime Games") – 12 ("Homeless")|
|DVD title||Episode count||Release date|
|Mr. Bean: The Animated Series – Number 1: Eight Amazing Adventures||8||29 August 2005; 20th Anniversary Re release: 6 September 2010; 25th Anniversary Re release: 20 July 2015|
|Mr. Bean: The Animated Series – Number 2: Eight Exciting Escapades||8||27 March 2006; 20th Anniversary Re release: 6 September 2010|
|Mr. Bean: The Animated Series – Number 3: Eight Terrific Tales||8||31 July 2006; 20th Anniversary Re release: 6 September 2010|
|Mr. Bean: The Animated Series – Number 4: Seven Smashing Stories||7||13 November 2006; 20th Anniversary Re release: 6 September 2010|
|Mr. Bean: The Animated Series – Number 5: Eight Eventful Escapades||8||19 March 2007; 20th Anniversary Re release: 9 September 2010|
|Mr. Bean: The Animated Series – Number 6: Eight Sticky Scrapes||8||22 November 2007; 20th Anniversary Re release: 9 September 2010|
|Mr. Bean: The Animated Series – The Bean Boxset! (Numbers 1–6)||47||18 March 2008; 20th Anniversary Re release: 6 September 2010|
|Mr. Bean: The Animated Series – Number 7: Nine Tremendous Tales||9||7 September 2015|
|Mr. Bean: The Animated Series – Number 7: Home Movie & MORE Tremendous Tales! (2017 New Cover Re release)||9||7 September 2015|
|Mr. Bean: The Animated Series – Number 8: Nine Splendid Stories||9||19 October 2015|
|Mr. Bean: The Animated Series - Number 8: Holiday For Teddy & MORE Tantalising Tales! (2017 New Cover Re release)||9||19 October 2015|
|Mr. Bean: The Animated Series – Number 9: Racing Adventures & MORE Exciting Escapades!||8||23 May 2016|
|Mr. Bean: The Animated Series: Cat Sitting & MORE Paw-some Adventures! (Re release of Episodes)||9||29 August 2016|
|Mr. Bean: The Animated Series – Number 10: Halloween & MORE Awesome Stories!||9||3 October 2016|
|Mr. Bean: The Animated Series – Number 11: SuperBean & OTHER Splendid Stories!||8||30 January 2017|
|Mr. Bean: The Animated Series: Egg & Bean & OTHER Springtime Surprises! (Re release of Episodes)||8||3 April 2017|
|Mr. Bean: The Animated Series – Number 12: Birthday Bean & FRIENDS!||9||24 July 2017|
|Mr. Bean: The Animated Series: On Thin Ice & OTHER Winter Wonders! (Re release of Episodes)||7||2 October 2017|
|DVD title||Episodes count||Release date|
|Mr. Bean: The Animated Series – Number 1: Eight Amazing Adventures||8||18 August 2004|
|Mr. Bean: The Animated Series – Number 2: Eight Exciting Escapades||8||4 July 2007|
|Mr. Bean: The Animated Series – Number 3: Eight Terrific Tales||8||28 October 2009|
|Mr. Bean: The Animated Series – Number 4: Seven Smashing Stories||7||28 October 2009|
|Mr. Bean: The Animated Series – Number 5: Eight Eventful Escapades||8||28 October 2009|
|Mr. Bean: The Animated Series – Number 6: Eight Sticky Scrapes||8||28 October 2009|
|Mr. Bean: The Animated Series – Season 2, Volume 1: Nine Tremendous Tales||9||24 September 2015|
|Mr. Bean: The Animated Series – Season 2, Volume 2: Nine Splendid Stories||9||24 September 2015|
|Mr. Bean: The Animated Series – Season 2, Volume 3: Racing Adventures & MORE Exciting Escapades||9||16 June 2016|
|Mr. Bean: The Animated Series – Season 2 Volume 4: Halloween & MORE Awesome Stories!||9||2017|
|Mr. Bean: The Animated Series: Superbean & OTHER Splendid Stories!||8||2017|
- "Toonhound - Mr Bean: The Animated Series". 19 May 2008. Retrieved 19 May 2008.
- Deans, Jason (6 February 2001). "Mr Bean turned into cartoon". The Guardian. Retrieved 11 October 2018.
- "Mr.Bean To Become A Cartoon". 10 October 2000. Retrieved 8 February 2016.
- "Rowan Atkinson working on new animated Mr Bean series". British Comedy Guide. 22 January 2014. Retrieved 11 October 2018.
- Mr. Bean: The Animated Series: Season 2, Volume 3 - Racing Adventures DVD, retrieved 2018-07-24