Mr. Bill (musician)
This article has multiple issues. Please help improve it or discuss these issues on the talk page. (Learn how and when to remove these template messages)(Learn how and when to remove this template message)
|Birth name||Bill James Day|
|Born||19 April 1988|
|Origin||Sydney, New South Wales, Australia|
|Occupation(s)||DJ, Musician, Producer|
Biography and career
Bill started writing music by age five after being introduced to Bill Haley & The Comets and receiving a keyboard from his parents. As a teenager, he acquired a guitar and joined various metal bands. He credits Metallica as one of his earliest influences, and later saw parallels between metal and electronic music.
His first exposure to electronic music occurred at 18 when a friend took him to a psytrance show (known as a doof) on a beach in NSW, Australia. At the time, he thought the CDJs were playing everything live and was amazed that someone could do so much complex production on the spot. His foray into electronic music production began shortly after when his parents bought a Macintosh computer. Starting with GarageBand, Day quickly found Ableton, which he still uses today. He received a bachelor's degree in Audio Engineering from SAE Institute, in Sydney, NSW, which helped solidify his electronic production skills. Production appealed to Bill because of the frustration of having to work around other musicians in bands, a sentiment echoed by Frank Zappa.
In 2008, Mr. Bill released his first album, Cell Abrasions, through Qwerty Records.
Through the years, Bill collaborated with many artists and released dozens of remixes and singles, as well as 10 EPs. In 2013, he released The Collaborative Endeavours, a double-album consisting of collaborations with various artists over 28 tracks. His fifth album, IRL, was released in 2014, followed nine months later by his sixth album, Settling for Mediocrity. Both were released through Section Z Records.
IRL was produced during a period of brief hiatus from live shows. Bill became disillusioned with self-management and decided to stop touring and devote his time to writing music. In response to the public statement, Muz Moeller, who manages Opiuo and Tom Cosm, offered to take up the role as manager.
In 2013, he undertook a tour of India and Canada.
Bill has taught at Dubspot and holds Ableton seminars.
He has an ongoing project, The Art of Mr. Bill, which includes both music and video. As of January 2019, there are four "seasons," and it continues to grow.
In 2019, Mr. Bill taught at The University of Valencia in Spain for 3 months.
- Cell Abrasions (2008)
- Barcodes (2009)
- The Ulterior Vadge Shpiel Rehearsal (2009)
- The Collaborative Endeavors (2013)
- IRL (2014)
- Settling for Mediocrity (2014)
- Corrective Scene Surgery (2015)
- The Recency Effect (2018)
- Apophenia (2018)
- Mom and Dad OST (2018)
- Chipmonks with Black Samurai (2009)
- A Serious Start to Something Seriously Unserious (2010)
- Suave (2010)
- The Designer (2010)
- Sway (2011)
- Pteroplex with Tha Fruitbat (2011)
- Entanglement with Circuit Bent, Tom Cosm, and Sun In Aquarius (2011)
- Focus (2012)
- Rave Jesus with Tha Fruitbat (2012)
- Gourmet Everything with Freddy Todd (2012)
- Lego Bolognese (2013)
- Entanglement 2 with Circuit Bent, Tom Cosm, The Mollusk, Freddy Todd, Sun In Aquarius, and Foldy (2013)
- The Art of Mr. Bill (2013–present)
In 2009, Mr. Bill formed the electronic music duo Electrocado with fellow producer Ryanosaurus.
- Guacamole Dreams (EP) (2009)
- The Hass Effect (studio album) (2011)
- "Ahuacatl" (single) (2011)
- The Shepard Tone (EP) (2012)
- Insomnia (EP) (2012)
- Scribble (studio album) (2015)
- Smooth & Creamy (EP) (2017)
- "Lord Dustwang" (single) (2017)
- "Bouncey Balls" (single) (2017)
- "DSCO CNT" (w/ No Mana) (single) (2018)
- Skin (EP) (2018)
- "Artist Interview: Mr. Bill".
- "Mr. Bill Interview @ Output Brooklyn".
- "Electronic Music Pioneer Frank Zappa's Final Album Scheduled for Release".
- "Mr. Bill's Bandcamp".
- Meer, Abhimanyu (28 September 2013). "Psychedelic Wonk with Mr. Bill". NH7. OML Entertainment. Retrieved 1 August 2015.
- "Cheyah Remix Contest".
- "Electrocado's Bandcamp".
- "Ableton Courses, Project Files, Sample Packs, Production Footage, Merch". Mr. Bill's Tunes. Retrieved 2 August 2019.