Mr. Denning Drives North
|Mr. Denning Drives North|
UK theatrical poster
|Directed by||Anthony Kimmins|
|Produced by||Anthony Kimmins
|Written by||Alec Coppel|
|Based on||novel by Alec Coppel|
|Music by||Benjamin Frankel|
|Edited by||Gerald Turney-Smith|
|Distributed by||British Lion Films|
|21 January 1952|
|Box office||£70,197 (UK)|
Mr. Denning Drives North is a 1952 British mystery film directed by Anthony Kimmins and starring John Mills, Phyllis Calvert and Eileen Moore. The plot concerns an aircraft manufacturer (Mills) who accidentally kills the boyfriend (Herbert Lom) of his daughter (Moore) and tries to dispose of the body. Alec Coppel wrote the script, adapted from his own novel. It was made at Shepperton Studios.
- John Mills as Tom Denning
- Phyllis Calvert as Kay Denning
- Eileen Moore as Liz Denning
- Sam Wanamaker as Chick Eddowes
- Herbert Lom as Mados
- Raymond Huntley as Wright
- Russell Waters as Harry Stoper
- Wilfrid Hyde-White as Woods
- Freda Jackson as Ma Smith
- Trader Faulkner as Ted Smith
- Sheila Shand Gibbs as Matilda
- Bernard Lee as Inspector Dodds
- Michael Shepley as Chairman of Court
- Ronald Adam as Coroner
- John Stuart as Wilson
- Hugh Morton as Inspector Snell
- David Davies as Chauffeur
- Ambrosine Phillpotts as Miss Blade
It was John Mills first film in almost two years. Sam Wanamaker had been living in England since 1949 and was offered the part after writing to his agent from holiday in France asking if any jobs were going.
The New York Times wrote, "this little melodrama serves as still another reminder, from a country that jolly well knows how to exercise it, that restraint can work minor wonders...Persuasive and tingling, minus one false note... No doubt about it. The British have what it takes."
- Vincent Porter, 'The Robert Clark Account', Historical Journal of Film, Radio and Television, Vol 20 No 4, 2000 p495
- "BFI | Film & TV Database | MR. DENNING DRIVES NORTH (1951)". Ftvdb.bfi.org.uk. 2009-04-16. Retrieved 2014-03-04.
- Mr Denning Drives North at AustLit
- "Latest Fiction.". The Advertiser (Adelaide: National Library of Australia). 3 March 1951. p. 6. Retrieved 20 March 2014.
- "Australian Angles.". The Sunday Herald (Sydney: National Library of Australia). 17 June 1951. p. 12. Retrieved 20 March 2014.
- "Patricia returns.". The Mail (Adelaide: National Library of Australia). 16 February 1952. p. 6 Supplement: SUNDAY MAGAZINE. Retrieved 20 March 2014.
- "John Healey's FILM PAGE.". The Mail (Adelaide: National Library of Australia). 21 July 1951. p. 11 Supplement: SUNDAY MAGAZINE. Retrieved 20 March 2014.
- H. H. T. (1953-09-02). "Movie Review – Mr Denning Drives North – A Cool, British Appraisal of Murder". NYTimes.com. Retrieved 2014-03-04.
|This article related to a British film of the 1950s is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|