Mr. Gone (album)
|Studio album by Weather Report|
|Recorded||May 1978 Devonshire Sound Studios, North Hollywood, California|
|Producer||Joe Zawinul, Jaco Pastorius|
|Weather Report chronology|
|The Rolling Stone Jazz Record Guide|||
Mr. Gone is the ninth album by Weather Report, recorded and released in 1978. As the group was still looking for a drummer following the departure of Alex Acuña, outside drummers Tony Williams and Steve Gadd appear along with Peter Erskine, who would become Acuña's replacement. Singers Deniece Williams and Maurice White appear on the final track, "And Then." Jaco Pastorius's song title "Punk Jazz" would later become the title for a posthumous compilation of his music.
The record became a center of controversy when Down Beat gave it a one-star review. According to the magazine, "Zawinul, Shorter, et al. have made the controversial music a commercial product; unfortunately ... Weather Report has over-orchestrated its sound." However, the album was quickly certified Gold and topped out at #52 on the Billboard music charts.
- "The Pursuit of the Woman with the Feathered Hat" (Zawinul) 5:03
- "River People" (Pastorius) 4:50
- "Young and Fine" (Zawinul) 6:55
- "The Elders" (Shorter, arranged by Zawinul) 4:21
- "Mr. Gone" (Zawinul) 5:26
- "Punk Jazz" (Pastorius) 5:09
- "Pinocchio" (Shorter) 2:26
- "And Then" (musiс - Zawinul, lyrics - Sam Guest) 3:22
- Joe Zawinul - modified Rhodes 88 electric piano, acoustic piano, two ARP 2600 synthesizers, Oberheim polyphonic synthesizer, Sequential Circuits Prophet 5 synthesizer, Mu-Tron Bi-Phase and Mu-Tron Volume Wah effects, kalimba, thumbeki drums, sleigh bells, melodica, high hat, voice (track 1)
- Wayne Shorter - Tenor, alto and soprano saxophone, voice (track 1)
- Jaco Pastorius - Bass, drums (tracks 1 and 2), timpani (track 2), voice (tracks 1, 2 and 6)
- Peter Erskine - Drums (tracks 1 and 7), high hat (track 3), voice (track 1)
- Manolo Badrena - Voice Solo (track 1)
- Jon Lucien - Voice (track 1)
- Deniece Williams - Voice (track 8)
- Maurice White - Vocal (track 8)
- Ginell, Richard S. (2011). "Mr. Gone - Weather Report | AllMusic". allmusic.com. Retrieved 19 July 2011.
- Christgau, Robert (2011). "Robert Christgau: CG: weather report". robertchristgau.com. Retrieved 19 July 2011.
- Swenson, J. (Editor) (1985). The Rolling Stone Jazz Record Guide. USA: Random House/Rolling Stone. p. 204. ISBN 0-394-72643-X.
- "https://www.discogs.com/Jaco-Pastorius-Punk-Jazz-The-Jaco-Pastorius-Anthology/release/710829". discogs.com. Retrieved 21 May 2016. External link in