|Industry||Restaurants (casual dining)|
Number of locations
|21 (5-Mediterranean Bar + Grill locations, 16-Fast Casual)|
|(President & CEO)|
Mr. Greek is a mediterranean restaurant chain with locations throughout Ontario, Canada. There are two different franchise concepts used by Mr. Greek; Mediterranean Grill and Express. It is one of the largest Greek Cuisine restaurant establishments in North America.
Mr. Greek began in 1988 when George Raios purchased a small restaurant on Danforth Avenue, in the heart of Toronto’s Greektown. Following that the restaurant focused on eliminating MSG and trans fats from its ingredients.
In 1992, the company decided to add a second location in the east end of the city in Scarborough, which was risky at the time because until that point their only location was in Greektown. The success of the Scarborough location was pivotal since it expanded the restaurant's customer base while also raising the confidence of management. In response to the growing popularity of Mediterranean cuisine, Mr. Greek began franchising in 1993. The more hurried lifestyles of the 1990s led to the launching of Mr. Greek Express – a smaller version of the restaurants, offering an abridged menu, counter service, and takeout – using the slogan Great food for the new generation on the go. In the late fall of 2017 Mr .Greek was bought out by AKRestaurants Inc., who planned to re-branding of the franchise and will now operate as MisterGreekfastfood Services Incorporated.
The Mediterranean Diet is among the oldest and healthiest diets in the world. The Mediterranean diet which demands the use of fresh ingredients, emphasizes the use of olive oil when food is fire-grilled. Doesn't contain MSG or tenderizers and the oil used is trans fat free.
Mr. Greek was voted Toronto's best Greek restaurant a number of times by the Toronto Sun.
Mr. Greek has plans to expand throughout the Southern Ontario region and has identified several areas of future development; Brantford, Cambridge, Guelph, Hamilton, Kitchener-Waterloo, Barrie, Markham, Mississauga, Toronto (Downtown), Toronto (West), Toronto (East), Georgetown, Kingston, London, Ottawa, Peterborough, St. Catharines, Stouffville, Wasaga Beach and Windsor. There are also two locations in Regina, Saskatchewan.
Supports local community groups, school and charities through donations and sponsorships.
Helios supports various types of charities, with an emphasis on children’s charities. Fundraising for Helios occurs 365 days a year, with at least three major initiatives annually.
- "Ask Mr. Franchise - George Raios (video)". 2010-03-23.
- "Mr. Greek Says OPA! To Health". November 6, 2006. Archived from the original on October 1, 2011. Retrieved July 11, 2011.
- "Richmond Hill Restaurants". 2011. Archived from the original on 2011-06-12. Retrieved 2011-07-11.
- "Metro - Food and drink the order of the day on diverse Danforth". March 23, 2010. Archived from the original on March 28, 2010. Retrieved July 11, 2011.
- "The World's Healthiest Cuisine?". Archived from the original on 2011-07-22. Retrieved 2011-07-11.
- "Mr.Greek". 2009-11-26.
- "Adopt-A-Wish Sponsor: MR. GREEK" (PDF). 2009-08-07. Archived from the original (PDF) on 2011-09-30. Retrieved 2011-07-11.