Mr. Natural (song)
This article needs additional citations for verification. (September 2014) (Learn how and when to remove this template message)
|Single by Bee Gees|
|from the album Mr. Natural|
|B-side||"It Doesn't Matter Much To Me"|
|Released||29 March 1974|
|Recorded||8 January 1974
Command Studios, London
|Genre||Pop rock, hard rock|
|Songwriter(s)||Barry Gibb, Robin Gibb|
|Bee Gees singles chronology|
"Mr. Natural" is a song by the Bee Gees, written by Barry and Robin Gibb. On 29 March 1974, it was released as a single and also released on the album of the same name in 1974. It was backed with a folk rock number "It Doesn't Matter Much to Me". The group's first single which was produced by Arif Mardin.
After the band recorded "It Doesn't Matter Much to Me" and "Voices" in January 4 sessions at IBC Studios, London. The group continued to record two more songs in January 8 including this track and "Had a Lot of Love Last Night" at Command Studios also in London. It was chosen as the first single and later became the title track of the album.
The song is an instance of Robin singing higher harmony to Barry's lower harmony.
Released during a period in which The Bee Gees just had an album A Kick In The Head Is Worth Eight In The Pants rejected by their manager Robert Stigwood, "Mr. Natural" barely scraped the lower end of the Billboard Hot 100 climbing to #93 and #11 in Australia. The promotional video for this song was filmed in black and white, and was televised at 192 TV. It was regularly performed on the Mr. Natural tour in 1974. Footage of the performance in Melbourne, Australia of the song (Mr. Natural) also exists. On 25 February 1974, the Bee Gees made their appearance at The Mike Douglas Show but only as a playback, on that performance, the backing band members are Alan Kendall, Dennis Bryon and Geoff Westley. It was also performed at The Merv Griffin Show.
- Robin Gibb — lead and harmony vocals (first verse and chorus)
- Barry Gibb — lead and harmony vocals (second verse), acoustic guitar
- Maurice Gibb — bass guitar, mellotron, harmony vocals
- Alan Kendall — electric guitar
- Dennis Bryon — drums
- Geoff Westley — piano
|Australia (Kent Music Report)||11|
|Canada Adult Contemporary (RPM)||13|
|US Billboard Hot 100||93|
|US Cash Box||87|
|US Record World||94|
- "The Bee Gees - Mr. Natural / It Doesn't Matter Much to Me". 45cat. Retrieved 4 February 2015.
- Brennan, Joseph. "Gibb Songs: 1974". Retrieved 6 January 2014.
- "Bee Gees - Mr. Natural (Live)". You Tube. Retrieved 6 January 2014.
- Kent, David (1993). Australian Chart Book 1970–1992 (doc). Australian Chart Book, St Ives, N.S.W. ISBN 0-646-11917-6.
- "Canadian Albums". RPM Canada. Retrieved 2014-11-09.
- "US Albums". AllMusic. Retrieved 2014-11-09.
- "Cashbox Top 100". Cashbox Magazine. March 23, 1974. Retrieved 4 February 2015.
- "Songs Written by the Gibb Family on the International Charts - Part 2" (PDF). brothersgibb.org. Retrieved 4 February 2015.