Type of site
|Created by||Jim McBride|
|Alexa rank||7,878 (July 2017[update])|
|Registration||Optional (previews only)|
|Launched||August 10, 1999|
Mr. Skin is a website that specializes in locating, posting, and rating instances of female nudity in television and film. Founded in August 1999, Mr. Skin is also the nickname of the company's chief executive, whose real name is Jim McBride. MrSkin.com attracted more than seven million visitors per month in 2007, going up to over ten million in 2014. As of 2017[update], the site has more than nine million visitors per month.
In 1997, Jim McBride took his hobby of memorizing what movie actresses had performed nude scenes in Hollywood movies onto the radio. He was featured as a radio show personality "Mr. Skin" on Harry Teinowitz's WMVP/Chicago call in radio show.
In 1999 Jim McBride met with an attorney to map out a legal strategy for creating a website featuring nude video clips of famous Hollywood stars taken from movie scenes. The Mr. Skin website was created as an editorial site featuring complete biographies, reviews and news about movie celebrities, along with clips from their movies. The most popular scenes that drove web traffic happened to be the clips featuring partial or full nudity from the actresses' movie.
After an appearance on The Howard Stern Show in 2000, McBride became a regular guest, ultimately producing a "Mr. Skin Minute" that continues to air every Thursday as part of Stern's Sirius Satellite Radio program. You can listen to him every other Wednesday at 9:40 am on The Rude Awakening Show on WOCM. Other radio shows that have featured Mr. Skin include Lex and Terry, Tom Leykis, The Adam Carolla Show, Loveline, Steve Dahl, Opie and Anthony, Kidd Chris, The Bob & Tom Show, The World Famous Frank Show, Todd and Tyler, The Regular Guys, The Jeff O'Neil Show, "The Free Beer and Hot Wings Show", "The Toucher and Rich Show", "The Don & Mike Show" and a weekly call in to the BS on Real Radio 104.1 in Orlando, Florida and every Monday on The Paul Castronovo show. He also appeared numerous times on The Drew and Mike Show on WRIF radio in Detroit. Mr. Skin is on every Thursday on The Playboy Morning Show TV and Web Audio and video Streaming on Playboy TV.
In 2007, MrSkin.com was referenced in Judd Apatow's comedy, Knocked Up, which was discussed in a New York Times Business section feature which detailed MrSkin.com's history, its prominence in Knocked Up, and the site's positive relationship with Hollywood companies as a marketing tool. In the article, interviewer Andrew Newman wrote that "[T]he movie studios not only tolerate Mr. McBride but also court him by sending advance screeners of DVD releases."
St. Martin's Press published the nudity guidebook Mr. Skin's Skincyclopedia: The A to Z Guide to Finding Your Favorite Actresses Naked in 2005.
Mr. Skin's Skintastic Video Guide: The 501 Greatest Movies for Sex and Nudity on DVD was published in the fall of 2007.
- "Mr.skin Site Info". Alexa Internet. Retrieved 31 July 2017.
- Elder, Robert (September 27, 2007). "The Two Worlds of Mr. Skin". Chicago Tribune. Retrieved September 12, 2009.
- Nichols, Michelle (2007-09-17). ""Mr. Skin" cashes in on obsession with naked women". Reuters. Retrieved 2009-09-12.
- "Radio's Most SKINnovative: Jim McBride". Jacobs Media Strategies. 2014-08-22. Retrieved 2018-05-29.
- Haden, Jeff (2014-01-07). "The Business of Nudity: The Unlikely Success of Mr. Skin". Entrepreneur. Retrieved 2018-05-29.
- Newman, Andrew (2007-07-23). "Site That Bills Itself as a Movie Reviewer Finds That Sex Sells". The New York Times. Retrieved 2009-09-12.
- Gray, Lila (2013-10-11). "Mr. Skin Launches Male Nudity Site, Mr. Man". Retrieved 2013-11-23.
- Gray, Lila (2013-10-11). "Fangoria and Mr. Skin Partner for New NSFW Column, "Flesh and Blood"!". Retrieved 2013-11-23.