|Single by Stereophonics|
|from the album Just Enough Education to Perform|
|B-side||"Maritim Belle Vue in Kiel"|
|Released||March 19, 2001|
|Format||CD single, 7" single|
|Length||5:19 (album version)
|Writer(s)||Kelly Jones/Marshall Bird|
|Producer(s)||Bird & Bush|
|Stereophonics singles chronology|
The song is track 3 on the album. A live version from Millennium Stadium Cardiff is on the "Vegas Two Times" single. It was written in response to a journalist who had toured with the band and had later given them negative reviews. The song has been attributed as one of the factors that has caused the group's uneasy relationship with the media. In a 2008 interview with The Guardian, lead singer Kelly Jones admitted that "...every journalist thought ["Mr. Writer"] was about them. It took me 10 minutes to write and 10 years to explain." A live acoustic version is track 1 on CD2 on the "Mr. Writer" singles, along with live acoustic versions of "Hurry Up and Wait" and "Don't Let Me Down".
The music video for the song was directed by David Slade and features clips of the band performing in a snowy globe and some other clips of the band dressed as clowns driving in a car which soon catches fire and is brutally destroyed. Then the band run off into the dusk at the end of the video.
- "Mr. Writer (edit)"
- "Maritim Belle Vue in Kiel"
- "An Audience with Mr. Nice"
- "Mr. Writer (live acoustic)"
- "Hurry Up and Wait (live acoustic)"
- "Don't Let Me Down (live acoustic)"
- Barnett, Laura (28 October 2008). "Portrait of the artist: Kelly Jones, musician". The Guardian. Guardian Media Group. Retrieved 3 September 2015.
- MVDBase Music video Database - searching for Stereophonics videography.
- Stereophonics official website - Discography page: 2001 "Mr. Writer" track listing.