Mr. & Mrs. '55
This article relies largely or entirely on a single source. (August 2017)
|Mr. & Mrs. '55|
|Directed by||Guru Dutt|
|Produced by||Guru Dutt|
|Written by||Abrar Alvi|
Vinita Bhatt/ Yasmin
|Music by||OP Nayyar|
|Distributed by||Ultra Distributors Pvt. Ltd.|
Mr. & Mrs. '55 is a 1955 Indian Hindi-language romantic comedy film by director Guru Dutt. Guru Dutt stars alongside Madhubala, supported by Lalita Pawar, Johnny Walker and Jagdeep in this socially critical film set in contemporary Bombay. The film's music is by O. P. Nayyar, with lyrics by Majrooh Sultanpuri. Actress Vyjayanthimala was first offered the lead female role but rejected due to her hectic schedule, which in later 2011 she recalled as her worst decision.
Preetam (Guru Dutt), a struggling cartoonist, meets Anita (Madhubala) at a tennis match, where she is watching her favourite tennis star. Anita, a wealthy and westernised heiress, is controlled by her aunt, Seeta Devi (Lalita Pawar). Seeta is suspicious of men and cultivates her attitudes in Anita. However, to receive her fortune, her father's will decrees that Anita must marry within one month of turning 21. Seeta Devi doesn't agree with this and tries to set Anita up with a sham marriage which will soon lead to divorce, thereby giving her both freedom and a fortune. Seeta hires Preetam to marry Anita, but she doesn't know that the pair have already met. Preetam is kept from Anita after their marriage, but he kidnaps her and takes her to the traditional house of his brother.
While at the house, Anita befriends Preetam's sister-in-law, and she begins to see the merit in becoming a wife. Preetam is worried that he has lost Anita and expedites their divorce by providing false, incriminating evidence to the court. Preetam then leaves Mumbai, heartbroken. Anita now recognises her feelings for Preetam and rushes to meet him at the airport. In the end, the couple is reunited.
- Guru Dutt as Preetam Kumar
- Madhubala as Anita Verma
- Lalita Pawar as Seeta Devi (Anita's Aunt)
- Johnny Walker as Johny
- Yasmin (Vinita Bhatt) as Julie - Yasmin's real name Vinita Bhatt. Yasmin was introduced by Guru Dutt as a side heroine opposite Johnny Walker in his film Mr. & Mrs. '55. She didn’t stay long in films and married a popular make-up man Jimmy Vining, for more see vinita butt interview at cineplot . Mr. & Mrs. '55 was her first and last film.
- Kumkum as Preetam's Bhabhi
- Tun Tun as Lily D'Silva (as Uma Devi)
- Cuckoo as Singer (in song "Neele Aasmani")
- Al Nasir as Ramesh
- Bir Sakhuja as the boss who hired Preetam
- Moni Chatterjee as judge
- C S Dubey as doctor (uncredited)
The music of this movie was composed by late O. P. Nayyar.
- "Ab To Jee Hone Laga" – Shamshad Begum
- "Neele Aasmani" – Geeta Dutt
- "Chal Diye Banda Nawaz" – Geeta Dutt, Mohammed Rafi
- "Dil Par Hua Aisa Jadoo" – Mohammed Rafi
- "Jaane Kahan Mera Jigar Gaya Ji" – Geeta Dutt, Mohammed Rafi
- "Meri Duniya Loot Rahi Thi" – Mohammed Rafi
- "Preetam Aan Milo" – Geeta Dutt
- "Preetam Aan Milo (duet)" – Geeta Dutt, C. H. Atma
- "Thandi Hawa Kaali Ghata" – Geeta Dutt, Shamshad Begum
- "Udhar Tum Haseen" – Mohammed Rafi, Geeta Dutt