||This biography of a living person needs additional citations for verification. (May 2009) (Learn how and when to remove this template message)|
Koshy was born in Delhi and migrated to the US in the 1980s, at the age of 15. She has worked as a cashier at a Kentucky Fried Chicken, swap-meet sales clerk, backstage dresser at fashion shows, waitress, polisher of silverware, writing adviser, a house painter, receptionist at a law firm, collator of tax forms, trade union organiser and community organiser.
She currently works as a librarian and community organiser with the Deepalaya Community Library Project, which runs a free community library for over 250 children from working class families in the south Delhi neighbourhood of Sheikh Sarai. It has another branch in Sanjay Colony in Okhla.
Her first novel, Not Only the Things That Have Happened (Harper Collins, 2012) was shortlisted for the 2013 Crossword Book Award.
Koshy’s books often explore the lives of Delhi’s working class. Her latest novel Bicycle Dreaming focuses on family life in a waste worker community in Delhi. It follows a 13-year-old girl named Noor, who dreams of owning a bicycle and working as a kabadiwala like her father. However, the loss of his job forces him to work as a ragpicker, adversely affecting her family.
- Bicycle Dreaming (Speaking Tiger, 2016)
- Not Only the Things That Have Happened (Harper Collins India, 2012)
- If It Is Sweet, a collection of short stories (Westland/Tranquebar Press, 2009; Brass Monkey, 2011)
- "Intimations of a Greater Truth" in Existere.
- "Romancing the Koodawallah" in Wasafiri, Summer 2008.
- "Stray Blades of Grass" in The Dalhousie Review, Autumn 2008.
- "Companion" in Prairie Fire.
- "Good Mother" in India Currents, winner first place, Katha 2008. (online text)
- "The Large Girl" in 21 Under Forty from Zubaan and Katha: Short Stories by Indian Women from Saqi, March 2007.
- "When the Child was a Child" in First Proof 3 from Penguin India, April 2008.
- "Jeans" in India from Isbn Edizioni.
- "Same Day" in Tehelka's first fiction special, December 2008 (online text).
- Review of Bicycle Dreaming in The Hindu, February 2016
- Review of Bicycle Dreaming in Hindustan Times, August 2016
- Review of Not Only The Things That Have Happened in India Today, January 2013
- Review of Not Only The Things That Have Happened in Sunday Guardian, February, 2013
- Review of Not Only The Things That Have Happened from People Magazine, May, 2-13
- Review of If It Is Sweet in Outlook Magazine, June 2009
- Review of If It Is Sweet, in Tehelka, June 2009
- Review of "The Large Girl" in the The Hindu Literary Review, July 2007
- Review of "The Large Girl" in India Today, April 2007
- "Mridula Koshy's If It is Sweet". http://www.hindustantimes.com/. 2009-05-22. Retrieved 2016-10-08. External link in
- "My Little Magazine: Up Close & Personal: Mridula Koshy". mylittlemagazine.blogspot.in. Retrieved 2015-12-29.
- "Dispersing the Light of Knowledge". http://www.tribuneindia.com/news/spectrum/society/dispersing-the-light-of-knowledge/127806.html. Retrieved 2015-12-29. External link in
- Mridula_Koshy Good Reads.
- "Crossword Book Award nominees announced". Retrieved 2015-12-29.
- "Mridula Koshy". Siyahi | A Literary Consultancy. Retrieved 2016-10-08.
- ‘I want to be fair to the reader’, Anupama Raju interviews Mridula Koshy in The Hindu, February 2013
- ‘Interview with Indian Writer, Mridula Koshy’, Video Clip (in Malayalam) on Asianet News, January 2013
- ‘Mridula Koshy-If It Is Sweet', Video Clip, Back Page #272, Oregon Public Broadcasting, December 2013.
- An Anthology with a Feminist Viewpoint, Video Clip on CNN-IBN, September 2007
- Article on the launch of First Proof 3
- Website of publisher, Westland Books
- Author's blog