||This article includes a list of references, but its sources remain unclear because it has insufficient inline citations. (January 2008)|
26 February 1946 |
Tikamgarh, Madhya Pradesh, India
|Alma mater||Allahabad University|
|Occupation||Hindi story writer, editor, columist, essayist|
Mrinal Pande (born 1946) is an Indian television personality, journalist and author, and until 2009 chief editor of Hindi daily Hindustan. She left Hindustan on 31 August 2009. She was appointed chairperson of Prasar Bharati, the official apex body[clarification needed] of Indian broadcast media. This appointment commenced on 23 January 2010. She was replaced by Dr. A. Surya Prakash as chairperson of Prasar Bharati. She also hosts a the weekly interview show Baaton Baaton Mein on Lok Sabha TV. She is the daughter of the Hindi novelist Shivani. Earlier she worked for Doordarshan and STAR News. She has also written a few short stories. She was the editor of the popular women's magazine Vama from 1984-87. The Government of India awarded her the fourth highest civilian honour of Padma Shri in 2006.
Pande was born in Tikamgarh, Madhya Pradesh. She studied initially at Nainital and then completed her Master's degree from Allahabad University. Later on she studied English and Sanskrit literature, Ancient Indian History, Archeology, Classical Music and the Visual Arts at the Corcoran in Washington DC. Her first story was published in the Hindi weekly Dharmyug, at the age of 21. Since then she has been consistently writing, apart from working in media, both television and press.
She spent several years on the National Commission for Self-Employed Women, inquiring into the conditions for rag-pickers, vegetable sellers and domestic help.
- Devi, Tales of the Goddess in our time; 2000, Viking/Penguin.
- Daughter's Daughter, 1993. Penguin Books.
- That Which Ram Hath Ordained, 1993, Seagull Books.
- The Subject is Woman, 1991. Sanchar Publishing House, New Delhi.
- My Own Witness, New Delhi, Penguin, 2001, ISBN 0-14-029731-6.
- The Other Country: Dispatches from the Mofussil, New Delhi, Penguin, 2012
- Chimgadadein, a short story by Mrinal Pande
- 'Bitch', a short story by Mrinal Pande
- Bibbo, a short story by Mrinal Pande
- Mrinal Pande's article: India’s nurseries of politics
- Mrinal Pande columns at Mint (newspaper)
- A price for life, an article in The Hindu
- The hindi media and an unreal discourse an article in The Hindu
- The games of masking from reality an article in The Hindu