|Alma mater||Loyola College, Chennai|
|Occupation||Author, Educationist, Management adviser|
|Website||Official web site of Sampradaan|
Mrityunjay Athreya is an Indian author, educationist and management advisor, widely regarded as one of the founders and pioneers of Indian Management movement and education. A former professor at the Indian Institute of Management, Calcutta, the London Business School and the Strathclyde Business School, Scotland, and a known speaker at various international forums, he is the founder of Sampradaan Indian Centre for Philanthropy, a non-profit non governmental organization, serving as a platform for charity initiatives by high-net-worth individuals. The Government of India honored him, in 2014, by bestowing on him the third highest civilian award, the Padma Bhushan.
Mritunjay Athreya was born in 1941, in Tirunelveli, Tamil Nadu to T.A. Balasundaram Iyer and Narayani. He was one of six sons and three daughters of his parents. They were of the Athreya Gotra, which would later be added to the name. The young Mrityunjay was a bright student and graduated in Statistics from the Loyola College, University of Madras and followed it with the Cost Accountant qualification offered by the Institute of Cost Accountants of India (previously the Institute of Cost and Works Accountants of India) (ICWAI) with first rank and gold medal. He also qualified with the Chartered Institute of Management Accountants of England. For further studies, he joined Stanford Business School, California, USA, on scholarship, spent one year there and, later, two years at the Harvard Business School to secure a PhD in Business Management before returning to India in 1967.
Pursuing his career as a management advisor, he currently lives in the Indian capital of New Delhi.
Mrityunjay Athreya began his career as an executive in the Indian office of a multinational company which was short lived as he went over to the USA for his studies. On his return to India, he joined the Indian Institute of Management, Kolkata, in 1967, as the Assistant Professor and later, became the Professor. He also worked as visiting professor at London Business School and the Strathclyde Business School, Scotland.
Athreya's associations with various Government committees started with his involvement with the committee for restructuring Indian Airlines, in 1971, where he worked with Vijay Kelkar. This was followed by another committee, in 1972, for restructuring the State Enterprises of the Jammu and Kashmir.
In 1991, the Government of India invited Athreya to head the Telcom Restructuring Committee, which later came to be known as the Athreya Committee, heading a panel of eminent members such as Sam Pitroda; N. Vittal, IAS; V. Krishnamurthy and late M. R. Pai. The Committee made a set of proposals which are reported to have set India's communication revolution rolling.
Athreya has also been involved with many other committees, involved with the Reserve Bank of India, the Ministries of Coal and Civil Aviation and Nuclear power. He has also worked with C. Rangarajan, Montek Singh Ahluwalia, and Y. V. R. Reddy.
- Founder President of Sampradaan Indian Centre for Philanthropy
- Chairman of the Sringeri Institute of Management
- Former Professor of the Indian Institute of Management Calcutta
- Visiting Professor at the London Business School
- Visiting Professor at the Scottish Business School, Scotland
- Founder - Athreya Management Services
- Management Advisor - Athreya Management Systems
- Board Member - SeraNova, Inc
Sampradaan Indian Centre for Philanthropy
Dr. Mrityunjay Athreya founded an NGO, Sampradaan Indian Centre for Philanthropy (SICP), a non-profit organization in 1996. The organization, registered as a society, has the objectives to promote philanthropy among Indian people, especially the high-net-worth individuals. It provides a platform for the philanthropists to channel their charity activities. The organization has a mandate to encourage research, documentation and dissemination of information, organize workshops and conferences and place itself as a premier resource centre.
Awards and recognitions
- Learning Luminary Award by Learning & OD Round Table in Mumbai, Sept 2015
- Padma Bhushan - 2014
- "Icon of the Year Award" by Institute of Cost Accountants of India, Kolkata, 2014
- Lifetime Achievement Award, Thinkers50 India, 2013
He has also been recognized with various fellowships.
- Ford Fellow, Harvard Business School, 1965-67
- Hoover Fellow, Stanford Business School, 1964-66
- Fellow, Institute of Cost and Works Accountants of India (ICAI)
- Fellow, Institute of Management Consultants of India (IMCI)
- Fellow, Human Resources Development Network (HRD Network)
- Fellow, Indian Society for Training and Development (ISTD)
- Fellow, All India Management Association (AIMA)
- Fellow, eInformation Systems, Security and Audit Association (EISA), 2005
- S. B. Budhiraja, M B Athreya (1 October 2002). Cases In Strategic Mgmt H/C. Tata McGraw-Hill Education. ISBN 9780074620977.
- Mrityunjay Athreya (October 1999). "In Defence of Civil Society". Rediff Business Special.
- Mrityunjay Athreya (January 2009). "Corporate Social Responsibility for Inclusive Growth". Indian Journal of Industrial Relations. 44 (3).
- Mrityunjay Athreya (1998). "Indian Telecommunications Liberalisation:Halting but Inexorable". Home Magazine (India 1998).
- Profile on YouTube
- Vision and Mission of Indian Professional on YouTube
- Dr. M B Athreya - Felicitation Poem by Rajiv Khurana
- Institute of Management Consultants of India, Delhi
- "IMC Delhi" (PDF). Retrieved 30 July 2014.
- "CG Park". Retrieved 30 July 2014.
- Athreya, Mrityunjay B (20 October 1999). "In Defence of Civil Society". Rediff. Retrieved 22 January 2019.
- "Speaker profile". Retrieved 2 August 2014.
- "Sampradaan". Retrieved 2 August 2014.
- "Awards AIMA" (PDF). Retrieved 2 August 2014.
- "Padma list". Retrieved 31 July 2014.
- "Jindal" (PDF). Retrieved 2 August 2014.
- "Zoom info". Retrieved 2 August 2014.
- "EISSA" (PDF). Retrieved 2 August 2014.
- "Positions". Retrieved 2 August 2014.
- "Sampradaan". Retrieved 2 August 2014.
- "TOI Padma Bhushan". Retrieved 2 August 2014.
- "Thisnkers50". Retrieved 2 August 2014.
- S. B. Budhiraja, M B Athreya (1 October 2002). Cases In Strategic Mgmt H/C. Tata McGraw-Hill Education. p. 412. ISBN 9780074620977.
- "CITATION Award of Honorary Fellowship To Hon’ble Prof. Mrityunjay Athreya" (PDF)
- "Profile on YouTube". Retrieved 2 August 2014.
- "Vision and Mission of Indian Professional". Retrieved 2 August 2014.
- "Dr. M B Athreya - Felicitation Poem by Rajiv Khurana". Retrieved 2 August 2014.
- "Institute of Management Consultants of India, Delhi". Retrieved 2 August 2014.