Mt. Pleasant High School (San Jose, California)
|Mount Pleasant High School|
1750 South White Road
|School district||East Side Union High School District|
|Number of students||1,401 (2016-17)|
|Color(s)||Red and black |
|Athletics conference||CIF Central Coast Section Blossom Valley Athletic League|
After selling his high-tech businesses, Steve Poizner worked at the school as a volunteer teacher, writing about it in Mount Pleasant: My Journey from Creating a Billion-Dollar Company to Teaching at a Struggling Public High School, a book released in April 2010. Poizner invoked hyperbole while describing the school, including exaggerating crime and graduation rates at the school and in the neighborhood. Ira Glass and This American Life exposed the differences between Poizner's account and the true story of the school, with Glass calling the story "obviously and provably untrue." Mt. Pleasant's high school principal, Teresa Marquez, cancelled Poizner's visit to the school, then Marquez and students protested the book at a book signing. The book reached the fifth position of the New York Times bestseller list, but that was possibly through altering of the sales data by ResultSource, a book marketing company.
- Kenny Williams, Vice President of the Chicago White Sox
- James Marlowe, Movie Producer and Director, location scout.
- Jeneba Tarmoh, member of the 2012 USA Olympic team, gold medal winner, 4x100m Relay
- Jhonen Vasquez, comics artist and creator of the popular animated series Invader Zim
- Ted Riveria III, Movie Director, Actor
- Template:50th homecoming Oct. 25th, 2014
- "Mt. Pleasant High". National Center for Education Statistics. Retrieved 4 March 2019.
- "CIF Directory" (PDF). Archived from the original (PDF) on 1 April 2010. Retrieved 5 May 2010.
- Roberts, Jerry (8 April 2010). "Capitol Letters: When it rains, it pours". Santa Barbara Independent. Retrieved 5 May 2010.
- Malcolm Maclachlan (29 April 2010). "Hundreds reportedly received unsolicited copies of Poizner memoir". Capitol Weekly. Archived from the original on 4 May 2010. Retrieved 17 March 2014.
- "Shelve Under Fiction? Steve Poizner's Book Lambasted for Misjudging San Jose Neighborhood, School". LAist. Archived from the original on 30 April 2010. Retrieved 5 May 2010.
- "Public radio's Ira Glass calls Poizner book 'so obviously and probably untrue'". Los Angeles Times. 26 April 2010. Retrieved 5 May 2010.
- Saunders, Debra J. (8 April 2010). "Republican volunteers at school - oh, the horrors". San Francisco Gate. Retrieved 5 May 2010.
- Greene, Jessica (2 April 2010). "Outraged Protesters Confront Poizner at Book Signing". KNTV. Retrieved 5 May 2010.
- Scott Herhold, etc (2 May 2010). "Internal Affairs: The mysterious case of Poizner's best-selling book". The Mercury News. Retrieved 17 March 2014.
- Mt. Pleasant High School profile provided by greatschools.net (contains pop-ups)
|This California school-related article is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|
|This article about a building or structure in San Jose, California is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|