||This article provides insufficient context for those unfamiliar with the subject. (January 2015)|
||This article may require copy editing for grammar, style, cohesion, tone, or spelling. (January 2015)|
19 February 1962 |
Lahore, Punjab, Pakistan
|Occupation||Host and Anchor|
|Title||Executive Editor ARY News|
Mubashir Luqman started his career as a film producer and then turned into a journalist and then appeared on Dunya News in 2009 in his programme "Khari Baat Luqman Ke Saath". However he got fired from Dunya News in June 2012 when off air scenes of his planted interview with Malik Riaz surfaced on YouTube.
He then joined ARY News hosting a show "kharra such" through which he brought many lies of the various politicians forward.However,his outspoken criticism cost ARY and the channel was cut off and Mubasshir luqman had to fight a case,winning it,he relaunched the show,but now appears in a show in bol news.
Planted Interview of Malik Riaz
Mubashir Luqman stirred a controversy when his off-air discussion with real estate tycoon Malik Riaz whom he was about to interview on air in Dunya TV was leaked on the internet.
On 7 June 2012, Pakistani real estate investor Malik Riaz secretly approached a numbers of country's leading news channels and shared detailed information on camera to provide videos, documentation, and receipts of transferring ₨. 340–400 million (about $3.7 million) made to his fellow businessman Arsalan Iftikhar. The businessman, Arsalan Iftikhar, is the son of the famed Chief Justice Iftikhar Mohammad Chaudhry and claimed that payments were made to Arsalan Iftikhar over the several years to influence over on the Supreme court cases and National Accountability Bureau (NAB) investigations. Riaz's statements were also confirmed by leading lawyer, Aitzaz Ahsan, who claimed to know the existence of such business meetings and payment, and also shared it with Chief Justice Iftikhar Chaudhry a while ago. Riaz also alleged that between 2009 and 2011, Arsalan Iftikhar sponsored his trips to London with credit cards to be used at his discretion.
On 15 June 2012, the behind the scenes footage showing Dunya News anchors Mubashir lukman and Meher Bukhari talking to Malik Riaz during their show surfaced on YouTube under the title "Malik Riaz Planted Interview with Mehar Bokhari and Mubashir Lukman on Dunya Tv". The show aired on the TV channel on Wednesday. In an attempt at damage control, Dunya TV channel's management registered a criminal case against "unidentifed" people responsible for publicising off-air footage of a controversial interview with Malik Riaz; no names were put forward as suspects. On 16 June 2012, PEMRA and Supreme Court launched full investigation against the Dunya News headed by two supreme court justices. The Supreme Court of Pakistan issued legal notices to Dunya News and its political correspondents on 29 June 2012.
The rivalry within the news channels heated up when the Aaj TV broadcast and televised the documented records payments allegedly made to the country's top 19 senior-political journalists by Malik Riaz. The documents showed an account of favours allegedly given to these journalists in shapes of money, luxury vehicles, and property recorded in these trademarked letterheads of Bahria Town.
The interview of former spokesman of ISPR Major General Athar Abbas against General Kayani was also a part of the programme.
Portrayals in popular culture
Luqman has been portrayed in English language popular culture a number of times including:
- In the novel "The Scriptwriter" it is implied that the news channel BSZ News anchor is Mubashir Luqman who delivers a pro-PIT speech in his TV show during the Azadi March movement.
- Dawn.Com (7 June 2012). "A strange case of conspiracies and conspiracy theories". Dawn News, 2012 report. Retrieved 8 February 2013.
- News Desk (12 June 2012). "Over Rs 340m spent on Dr Arsalan to win favorable verdicts: Malik Riaz". Awaz Television. Retrieved 8 February 2013.
- Popalzov, Shaheryar (14 June 2012). "Video leak: Lucman, Bokhari run 'planted show' with Malik Riaz". Tribune Express, First. Retrieved 8 February 2013.
- Umer Nangiana, Nangiana (16 June 2012). "'Anchorgate': Criminal case lodged against Dunya TV whistleblowers". DUnya. Retrieved 8 February 2013.
- Qamar Zaman (16 June 2012). "TEX (Planted' TV interview: Two-judge panel to probe off-air clips". TEX (Planted' TV interview: Two-judge panel to probe off-air clips. Retrieved 8 February 2013.
- By Our Correspondent (: 29 June 2012). "Mediagate': Notices issued to Dunya TV, real-estate tycoon". Tribune Express (TEX). Retrieved 8 February 2013. Check date values in:
- Shabbir,, Farrukh (14 June 2012). "A list of 19 journalists allegedly bribed by Malik Riaz". Aaj TV report. Retrieved 8 February 2013.