Much Ado About Nothing (opera)
Much Ado About Nothing is an opera in four acts by Charles Villiers Stanford (his Op. 76a), to a libretto by Julian Sturgis based on Shakespeare's play Much Ado About Nothing. It was the composer's seventh opera.
It premiered at the Royal Opera House, Covent Garden on 30 May 1901, conducted by Luigi Mancinelli, when it was "well, but not rapturously received by the public", and given one further performance four days later. The Manchester Guardian commented, "Not even in the Falstaff of Arrigo Boito and Giuseppe Verdi have the characteristic charm, the ripe and pungent individuality of the original comedy been more sedulously preserved."
The opera was performed in German translation in Leipzig in 1902.
It was revived at the 1964 Wexford Opera Festival in a production directed by Peter Ebert. In 2016 the Northern Opera Group performed extracts from the opera to mark the 400th anniversary of Shakespeare's death.
|Role||Voice type||Premiere Cast, 30 May 1901
|Don Pedro, prince of Aragon||baritone||Ivor Foster|
|Don John, his bastard brother||bass|
|Leonato, governor of Messina||bass or baritone||Putnam Griswold|
- Dibble (2002), p. 333.
- "Much Ado About Nothing", The Manchester Guardian, 31 May 1901, p. 5
- Dibble (2002), pp. 334-5.
- Daly (2004), p. 189.
- "Northern Opera Group: Much Ado About Nothing". Retrieved 16 August 2016.
- Stanford (1901), p. 17; Anon 1 (1901), p. 473; Dibble (2002) p. 332.
- Anon (1) (1901). "Professor Stanford's 'Much Ado about Nothing'". The Musical Times. 47 (701): 472–473. JSTOR 3367678. (subscription required)
- Anon (2) (31 May 1901). "Dr. Stanford's New Opera". New York Times. p. 9.
- Daly, Karina (2004). Tom Walsh's Opera: A history of the Wexford Festival, 1951-2004. Dublin: Four Courts. ISBN 1-85182-878-8.
- Dibble, Jeremy (2002). Charles Villiers Stanford: Man and Musician. Oxford: Oxford University Press. ISBN 0-19-816383-5.
- Stanford, C. V. (1901). Much Ado about Nothing. London: Boosey and Hawkes.
- Much Ado About Nothing, Op.76a: Scores at the International Music Score Library Project
- "Stanford: Much Ado About Nothing, Duet "Tell me, who told you so?..." performed by Daire Halpin, (soprano), Wolfgang Resch (baritone)". Pedro Barilov (YouTube). 25 June 2013.
|This article about an English language opera is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|