Muennink's spiny rat
|Muennink's spiny rat|
Muennink's spiny rat or Okinawa Spiny Rat (Tokudaia muenninki) is a species of rodent in the family Muridae. Endemic to Okinawa Island, Japan, its natural habitat is subtropical moist broadleaf forest. The karyotype has 2n = 44. Its sex chromosomes are abnormally large, while the other two species in Tokudaia have lost their Y chromosome. It is found only on the northern part (Yanbaru area) of the island, above 300 m.
The head and body are up to 7 inches long with a 5-inch tail. They weigh up to 7 ounces. They have a short thick body and dense fur, consisting of fine hairs and coarse, grooved spines (hence the common name “spiny rat”). The fur is brownish above and grayish white below with a faint orange tinge. The spines on the animal’s back are black throughout while the spines underneath are usually white with a reddish-brown tip. The spines cover the body except for the regions around the mouth, ears, feet and tail. The tail is bi-colored for its entire length.
The species is threatened by deforestation, predation by feral cats and introduced mongooses, and competition with introduced black rats. In March 2008, the first wild specimen in over 30 years was caught in the northern part of Okinawa island.
- Ishii, N. (2016). "Tokudaia muenninki". IUCN Red List of Threatened Species. IUCN. 2016: e.T21972A22409515. doi:10.2305/IUCN.UK.2016-1.RLTS.T21972A22409515.en. Retrieved 20 August 2016.
- Musser, G.G.; Carleton, M.D. (2005). "Superfamily Muroidea". In Wilson, D.E.; Reeder, D.M (eds.). Mammal Species of the World: A Taxonomic and Geographic Reference (3rd ed.). Johns Hopkins University Press. pp. 1512–1513. ISBN 978-0-8018-8221-0. OCLC 62265494.
- Murata, C.; Yamada, F.; Kawauchi, N.; Matsuda, Y.; Kuroiwa, A. (2011-12-24). "The Y chromosome of the Okinawa spiny rat, Tokudaia muenninki, was rescued through fusion with an autosome". Chromosome Research. 20: 111–125. doi:10.1007/s10577-011-9268-6.
- "Tokudaia muenninki (Muennink's Spiny Rat, Okinawa Spiny Rat)". www.iucnredlist.org. Retrieved 2017-02-27.
- "EDGE of Existence". EDGE of Existence. Retrieved 2017-03-02.
- 幻のネズミ、30年ぶり捕獲 沖縄北部の絶滅危惧種
Data related to Tokudaia muenninki at Wikispecies
|This Murinae article is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|