Claimant to the 53rd Da'i al-Mutlaq
of the Dawoodi Bohra community
Saifuddin (left) with Narendra Modi (right)
20 August 1946 |
Surat, Gujarat, British Raj
|Denomination||Dawoodi Taiyabi Mustaali Ismaili Shia|
|Children||Jafar us Sadiq Imaduddin (b. 1973), Taha Najmuddin, Husain Burhanuddin|
Mufaddal Saifuddin (Arabic: مفضل سيف الدين; Abu Jafar-us-Sadiq Mufaddal Saifuddin) is a claimant to the title of 53rd Dā'ī al-Mutlaq (highest spiritual authority) of the Dawoodi Bohra. The Dawoodi Bohra are a sub group within the Mustaali, Ismaili Shia branch of Islam. He is currently the Chancellor of Aligarh Muslim University. 
Mufaddal Saifuddin was born on 20 August 1946, on the night of Laylat al-Qadr in Surat, Gujarat, and was given the name Aali Qadr Mufaddal (Arabic:عالي قدر مفضل) by his grandfather Syedna Taher Saifuddin. He was named the Chancellor of the Aligarh Muslim University on April 11 2015.
Mufaddal Saifuddin was appointed Amirul Hajj by his father Burhanuddin in 1390 AH (1970 CE). After Hajj, he travelled to Karbala, Shaam, Misr and Yemen. During his trip to Yemen, he laid the foundations for the construction of the 3rd Da'i al-Mutlaq's Syedna Hatim's mausoleum. After that journey Burhanuddin bestowed upon him the religious honorific title Aqeeq-ul-Yemen in 1391 AH/1971 AD.
On 28 Rabi' al-thani 1435 AH (28 February 2014 CE), the Indian foreign minister Salman Khurshid accompanied Saifuddin to Mumbai airport to see him off for his first visit abroad after the passing of his father Burhanuddin in January of that year. Khurshid presented Mufaddal with a letter of good wishes from Sonia Gandhi, the president of the Indian Congress, before departed to Najaf and Karbala in Iraq for a pilgrimage to the shrines of Imam Ali and Imam Husain.
The main message that Saifuddin hopes to instill on the community is that of loyalty to wherever people live, to follow the rules and be a good citizen, live in peace and make an honest living.
Burhanuddin did not publicly declare any successor as late as 2011 and there were fights between rival factions of Burhanuddin's family over who should inherit control.
After Burhanuddin suffered a stroke in June 2011 in London, Mufaddal Saifuddin was declared as his successor by Muffadal's brothers. The Dawoodi Bohra community was reported of the succession by Mufaddal's brothers a group formed in 2013 in support of Burhanuddin's half-brother Khuzaima Qutbuddin, who was Mazoon, serving second under Dai al Mutlaq.
After the Burhanuddin's death in January 2014, Mufaddal took up his office claiming to be Dai, Qutbuddin, claiming to have been appointed heir 50 years earlier in secrecy, challenged Mufaddal's right to be Dai in court. Khuzaima also took the office as the 53rd Dai of Dawoodi Bohras having his primary headquarters in Saify Mahal where Mufaddal also resides and other in Thane, Mumbai.
The faction of Dawoodi Bohras led by Qaid Johar Ezzuddin the brother of Mufaddal who follow Mufaddal Saifuddin supports Mufaddal Saifuddin as Dai, and it is alleged that they have excommunicated Qutbuddin and his faction. However, there is no official confirmation from Dawoodi Bohra community on the alleged ex-communication and progressive members have called a banned on this practice citing it as illegal.
| Part of a series on Shīa Islam
- "A perilous transition - Mumbai Mirror". Retrieved 9 December 2014.
- Rizwan Mawani (30 January 2014). "The Intricacies of Succession: Two Claimants Emerge for Dawoodi Bohra Leadership". Huffington Post. Retrieved 11 February 2014.
- "Bohra community head is AMU Chancellor". The Hindu. 12 April 2015.
- Gulshan-e-Ma'alumaat Birth Date Article[full citation needed]
- "Syedna Aali Qadr Mufaddal Saifuddin". Free Press Journal. 26 January 2014. Retrieved 17 May 2014.
- "Profile of Syedna Mufaddal Saifuddin". GulfNews.com. Retrieved 2014-03-07.
- "Chancellor". Retrieved 13 April 2015.
- "Union Foreign Minister Salman Khurshid". Afternoon Dispatch and Courier. 28 February 2014. Retrieved 17 May 2014.
- Hasan, Shazia (28 February 2014). "Saifuddin receives warm welcome on brief visit". DAWN.com. Retrieved 17 May 2014.
- "bohra-dissenters-challenge-oppressive-priesthood/". Retrieved 9 December 2014.
- 'Mufaddal Saifuddin as designate-successor', http://www.dnaindia.com/mumbai/report-claimant-to-syedna-seat-declares-official-challenge-1968682
- http://gulfnews.com/news/world/india/profile-of-syedna-mufaddal-saifuddin-1.1279387, 'With prayers and quiet celebrations at home, the Dawoodi Bohra community had welcomed their community leader’s choice of Mufaddal Saifuddin as his successor'
- "Dawoodi Bohras welcome nomination of successor". Hindustan Times. Mumbai: HT Media. 7 June 2011.
- "Talk of rift among Bohras over Syedna’s successor". Hindustan Times. 15 April 2013.
- "Bohras protest Syedna's half-brother 's claim". The Times Of India. Retrieved 26 March 2014.
- http://www.dnaindia.com/mumbai/report-claimant-to-syedna-seat-declares-official-challenge-1968682, 'Mufaddal Saifuddin as designate-successor'.'Mufaddal took charge officially last month'
- "Talk of rift among Bohras over Syedna’s successor". Retrieved 26 March 2014.
- "The Intricacies of Succession: Two Claimants Emerge for Dawoodi Bohra Leadership". Huffington Post. 30 January 2014.
- http://www.dnaindia.com/mumbai/report-claimant-to-syedna-seat-declares-official-challenge-1968682, 'but this has been challenged by Khuzaima'
- "Commencement of Legal Action by His Holiness Syedna Khuzaima Qutbuddin TUS, being the 53rd Dai al-Mutlaq and Head of the Dawoodi Bohra Community Against The False Claimant Shehzada Mufaddal Saifuddin: For Truth, Justice and Future of the Dawoodi Bohra Community" (PDF). Retrieved 3 December 2014.
- "How is Syedna chosen? HC wants to know". The Indian Express. April 30, 2014.
- "Bohras make anti-Syedna faction’s ex-communication official, stick by Mufaddal Saifuddin". Daily News and Analysis. 31 January 2014. Retrieved 30 June 2014.
Find more about
at Wikipedia's sister projects
|Media from Commons|
|Data from Wikidata|