|Developer(s)||The GNOME Project|
|Initial release||April 2011|
|Stable release||3.24.2 (8 May 2017) [±]|
|Preview release||3.25.1 (26 April 2017) [±]|
|Operating system||GNU/Linux, FreeBSD, others|
Mutter is a window manager initially designed and implemented for the X Window System, and recently has evolved to be a Wayland compositor. It became the default window manager in GNOME 3, replacing Metacity which used GTK+ for rendering. Mutter uses a graphics library called Clutter giving it OpenGL capability. The name is a portmanteau of Metacity and Clutter.
Mutter can function as a standalone window manager for GNOME-like desktops and serves as the primary window manager for the GNOME Shell, which is an integral part of GNOME 3. Mutter is extensible with plugins and supports numerous visual effects. GNOME Shell is written as a plugin to Mutter. Gala, a core component of the Pantheon desktop environment, is built using libmutter. Budgie-wm, used in the Budgie desktop environment, is another window manager built on libmutter.
||Parts of this article (those related to Performance) need to be updated. (July 2016)|
Muffin is a fork of Mutter by the Linux Mint team for their Cinnamon desktop environment. Cinnamon's shell, a fork of GNOME Shell, is written as a plugin for Muffin.
- Müllner, Florian (27 April 2017). "GNOME 3.25.1". gnome-announce-list (Mailing list). Retrieved 2 May 2017.
- "Debian Mutter Package in sid".
- Vervloesem, Koen (2009-08-04). "Mutter: a window manager for GNOME 3". LWN.net. Retrieved 2011-12-27.
- Kissling, Kristian (2009-07-08). "Mutter: Window Manager in GNOME's Future". Linux Magazine. Retrieved 2011-12-27.
- "Meet Gala: The Window Manager".
- "5 Myths About elementary".
- "wayland: Add basic hidpi support". 2014-05-03. Retrieved 2014-05-03.
- "mutter 3.13.2 release notes". 2014-05-27.
- "wayland: Implement the server side bits of wl_touch_interface". 2014-06-04.
- "mutter 3.13.3 release notes". 2014-06-24.
- "Bug 724442 - Touchscreen does not work".
- Larabel, Michael (2010-06-21). "Mutter Can Cause A Gaming/OpenGL Performance Hit Too". Phoronix. Retrieved 2011-04-24.
- Larabel, Michael (2010-05-21). "The Cost Of Running Compiz". Phoronix. Retrieved 2011-04-24.