Mug Root Beer
This article needs additional citations for verification. (February 2013) (Learn how and when to remove this template message)
|Country of origin||United States|
It was originally produced by the Belfast Beverage Company in San Francisco, California, during the 1940s as Belfast Root Beer. An advertisement for Belfast Root Beer appears as early as 1947. The product name was later changed to Mug Old Fashioned Root Beer. An advertisement for Belfast Old Fashioned Mug Root Beer appears as early as 1952.
In the late 1960s, Sugar Free Mug (now Diet Mug Root Beer) was introduced. Mug Cream Soda and Diet Mug Cream Soda were later introduced, but they are not as widely available. Mug was purchased by Pepsi in 1986, and replaced On-Tap Draft Style Root Beer as Pepsi's root beer brand. Mug Root Beer is manufactured by independent bottlers under the authority of New Century Beverage Company.
The Mug features the company's mascot, a bulldog named Dog, holding a mug of root beer.
- September 24, 1947, Bakersfield Californian, p. 7 (available at newspaperarchive.com)
- March 4, 1952, Mountain Democrat, p. 5 (available at newspaperarchive.com)
- Mug Root Beer Retrieved August 22, 2012.
- Official Website
- MUG Trademark Update 72039315
- BELFAST - Brand - NEW CENTURY BEVERAGE COMPANY SAN FRANCISCO, CA - Serial Number: 72284549
- OLD FASHIONED MUG - Brand - BELFAST BEVERAGES, INC. SAN FRANCISCO , - Serial Number: 71602543
|This brand-name food or drink product–related article is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|