Mugg & Bean
A Mugg and Bean restaurant in O.R. Tambo International Airport.
|Genre||Coffee & Generous Food|
|Founded||Victoria & Alfred Waterfront, Cape Town, South Africa (1996 )|
Number of locations
|184 stores (2015)|
|Parent||Famous Brands Limited |
Mugg & Bean is a full-service, & On-The-Move restaurant, coffee-themed franchise restaurant chain originating from South Africa. The restaurant chain was founded in 1996 by Ben Filmalter after a visit to a Chicago coffee shop in the early 1990s inspired him to open a similar restaurant in South Africa. The first restaurant was opened at the V&A Waterfront in Cape Town in 1996. The franchise was bought by Famous Brands in 2009.
In late 2018 and early 2019 Mugg & Bean was criticised by political parties and trade unions for alleged unfair labour practices. Trade union COSATU threatened report the company to regulators for violating labour regulations relating to wages and working conditions. In a separate incident the company was protested by the Economic Freedom Fighters political party when a restaurant manager was dismissed by a franchise owner amidst allegations of racism whilst the company stated that the manager was simply retrenched to cut costs.
- "Mugg & Bean founder dies | IOL". Retrieved 2016-11-07.
- "Mugg & Bean mourns the death of its creator, "Mr Generosity" Ben Filmalter". BizNews.com. 2016-07-26. Retrieved 2019-03-08.
- SAID, MICHAEL (19 October 2010). "Who mugged the Bean?". Bizcommunity.com. Retrieved 7 November 2016.
- Lindeque, Mia. "Cosatu threatens Mugg & Bean with legal action". ewn.co.za. Retrieved 2019-03-08.
- "Mugg & Bean manager lost his job because he was retrenched‚ not because he's black". www.timeslive.co.za. Retrieved 2019-03-08.
|This restaurant-related article is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|
|This South African corporation or company article is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|