Muhammad Ibn Alawi al-Maliki
Muhammad ibn Alawi al-Maliki
|Died||2004 (aged 59-60)|
|Resting place||Mecca, Saudi Arabia|
|Alma mater||Al-Azhar University|
|Occupation||Islamic scholar, Imam|
|Part of a series on Islam|
With his father’s instruction, he also studied and mastered the various traditional Islamic sciences of Aqidah (Islamic theology), Tafsir (Qur'anic exegesis), Hadith (Prophetic tradition), Seerah (Prophetic biography), Fiqh (Islamic jurisprudence), Usul (origins and fundamentals), Mustalah (hadith terminology), Nahw (Arabic grammar), etc. Scholars of Mecca, as well as Medina, all of whom granted him full Ijazah (certification) to teach these sciences to others. Some of the scholars from whom he obtained ijazahs and chains of transmission from include: His father, al-Sayyid 'Alawi ibn 'Abbas al-Maliki al-Hasani, as-Sayyid al-Habib Ahmad Mashhur TaHa al-Haddad, Shaikh Hasanain Makhlouf, Muhammad Hafidh al-Tijani, Amin Kutbi, Mustafa Raza Khan, and numerous others.
Regardless of criticisms against him, al-Maliki retained prominence. In an attempt to counter the Islamic revival in the early 1990s, the Government of Saudi Arabia began supporting practitioners of Sufism in the Hijaz region as a way to bolster religious support of the state; al-Maliki became the self-imposed leader of Hijazi Sufism under state sponsorship, with several thousand supporters.
He died in 2004 and was buried in Mecca. After his death, Saudi dignitaries made condolence visits to his family. Crown Prince 'Abd Allah (the future king) was quoted as stating that al-Maliki "was faithful both to his religion and country" as one western journalist noted, "the rehabilitation of his legacy was almost complete." 
Al-Maliki has written on a variety of religious, legal, social and historical topics.
Selected works on various subjects
- Mafahim Yajib ‘an Tusahhah
- Bidaah Menurut Ulama Salaf
- On Celebrating the Birthday of Prophet
- Manhaj al-Salaf fi Fahm al-Nusus
- Al-Tahzir min al-Takfir
- Huwa Allah
- Qul Hazihi Sabeeli
- Sharh ‘Aqidat al-‘Awam
- Zubdat al-Itqan fi ‘Ulum al-Qur’an
- Wa Huwa bi al-Ufuq al-‘A’la
- Al-Qawa‘id al-Asasiyyah fi ‘Ulum al-Quran
- Hawl Khasa’is al-Quran
- Al-Manhal al-Latif fi Usul al-Hadith al-Sharif
- Al-Qawa‘id al-Asasiyyah fi ‘Ilm Mustalah al-Hadith Al-Sharif
- Fadl al-Muwatta wa Inayat al-Ummah al-Islamiyyah bihi
- Anwar al-Masalik fi al-Muqaranah bayn Riwayat al-Muwatta lil-Imam Malik
- Muhammad the Best of Creation
- Muhammad al-Insan al-Kamil
- Prophet's Night Journey and Heavenly ascent
- ‘Urf al-T ‘arif bi al-Mawlid al-Sharif
- Al-Anwar al-Bahiyyah fi Isra wa M’iraj Khayr al-Bariyyah
- Al-Zakha’ir al-Muhammadiyyah 
- Zikriyat wa Munasabat
- Al-Bushra fi Manaqib al-Sayyidah Khadijah al-Kubra
- Prophet in the Barzakh and the Hadith of Isra and Miraj
- Al-Risalah al-Islamiyyah Kamaluha wa Khuluduha wa `Alamiyyatuha
- Labbayk Allahumma Labbayk
- Al-Ziyarah al-Nabawiyyah bayn al-Shar`iyyah wa al-Bid`iyyah
- Shifa' al-Fu'ad bi Ziyarat Khayr al-`Ibad
- Hawl al-Ihtifal bi Zikra al-Mawlid al-Nabawi al-Sharif
- Al-Madh al-Nabawi bayn al-Ghuluww wa al-Ijhaf
- Al-Qawa‘id al-Asasiyyah fi Usul al-Fiqh
- Sharh Manzumat al-Waraqat fi Usul al-Fiqh
- Mafhum al-Tatawwur wa al-Tajdid fi al-Shari‘ah al-Islamiyyah
- Shawariq al-Anwar min Ad‘iyat al-Sadah al-Akhyar
- Al-Mukhtar min Kalam al-Akhyar
- Al-Husun al-Mani‘ah
- Mukhtasar Shawariq al-Anwar
- Salawat Quraniyyah
- Meluruskan Kesalahpahaman
- Dialah Allah
- Fi Rihab al-Bayt al-Haram (History of Mecca)
- Al-Mustashriqun Bayn al-Insaf wa al-‘Asabiyyah (Study of Orientalism)
- Nazrat al-Islam ila al-Riyadah (Sports in Islam)
- Al-Qudwah al-Hasanah fi Manhaj al-Da‘wah ila Allah (Methods of Dawah)
- Ma La ‘Aynun Ra’at (Description of Paradise)
- Nizam al-Usrah fi al-Islam (Islam and Family)
- Al-Muslimun Bayn al-Waqi‘ wa al-Tajribah (Contemporary Muslim world)
- Kashf al-Ghumma (Virtues of helping fellow Muslims)
- Al-Dawah al-Islahiyyah (Call for Reform)
- Fi Sabil al-Huda wa al-Rashad (Collection of speeches)
- Sharaf al-Ummah al-Islamiyyah (Superiority of the Muslim Ummah)
- Usul al-Tarbiyah al-Nabawiyyah (Prophetic methods of education)
- Nur al-Nibras fi Asanid al-Jadd al-Sayyid Abbas (Set of Grandfather’s Ijazahs)
- Al-‘Uqud al-Lu’luiyyah fi al-Asanid al-Alawiyyah (Set of father’s Ijazahs)
- Al-Tali‘ al-Sa‘id al-Muntakhab min al-Musalsalat wa al-Asanid (Set of Ijazahs)
- Al-‘Iqd al-Farid al-Mukhtasar min al-Athbah wa al-Asanid (Set of Ijazahs)
- "next mujaddid- Syekh Muhammad Alawi al-Maliki, Benteng Sunni Abad ke-21". Republika Online (in Indonesian). 2015-03-02. Retrieved 2020-06-08.
- Jalali. "Correct Understanding of the Mawlid – 1 | TAQWA.sg | Tariqatu-l Arusiyyatu-l Qadiriyyah Worldwide Association (Singapore) - Shari'a, Tariqa, Ma'rifa, and Haqiqa". Retrieved 2020-06-08.
- Marion Holmes Katz, The Birth of the Prophet Muhammad: Devotional piety in Sunni Islam, p. 185. ISBN 0203962141. Publication Date: June 6, 2007
- Obituary to al-Sayyid Muhammad bin Alawi al-Maliki Archived 2007-10-18 at the Wayback Machine
- Stephane Lacroix, Awakening Islam, pg. 220. Trns. George Holoch. Cambridge: President and Fellows of Harvard College, 2011.
- Marion Holmes Katz, The Birth of the Prophet Muhammad: Devotional piety in Sunni Islam, p. 215. ISBN 0203962141. Publication Date: June 6, 2007. See Khalid ' Abd Allah, " al-Amlr Sultan yazuru usrat al-Duktur Muhammad 'Alawl al-Malikl mu'azziyan," Jaridat al-Riyad, 19 Ramadan 1425 (accessed at www.alriyadh.com/Contents/02-l l-2004/Mainpage/LOCALl_24136.php on May 25, 2006).
- See P.K. Abdul Ghafour, "Abdullah Lauds Noble Efforts of Al-Malki," Arab News, November 2, 2004.(http://www.arabnews.com/node/257480)
- Marion Holmes Katz, The Birth of the Prophet Muhammad: Devotional piety in Sunni Islam, p. 215. ISBN 0203962141. Publication Date: June 6, 2007. Quoting Ambah, "In Saudi Arabia," p. A13.
- Katz, Marion Holmes (2007-05-07). The Birth of The Prophet Muhammad: Devotional Piety in Sunni Islam. Routledge. ISBN 978-1-135-98394-9.
- "Books by Muhammad Alawi al-Maliki al-Hasani (Author of Meluruskan Kesalahpahaman)". www.goodreads.com. Retrieved 2020-06-08.
- Muhammad, Alawi Al-Maliki (2015-12-20). On Celebrating the Birth of the Prophet. Muhammad Sattaur. ISBN 978-0-578-17440-2.
- "Prophet the Best of Creation". 8 June 2020.
- Al-Maliki, Muhammad Ibn Alawi (2020-02-15). The Prophet's Night Journey and Heavenly Ascent. Imam Ghazali Institute. ISBN 978-1-952306-00-6.
- Kabbani, Muhammad Hisham; Kabbani, Shaykh Muhammad Hisham (2004). The Naqshbandi Sufi Tradition Guidebook of Daily Practices and Devotions. ISCA. ISBN 978-1-930409-22-4.
- "Zakha'ir al-Muhammadiyyah Urdu Translation". Archived from the original on 2012-03-23. Retrieved 2010-08-11.
- Ibn 'Alawi, Al-Sayyid Muhammad (December 1999). Islamic Doctrines & Beliefs: The prophets in Barzakh and the hadith of Isrâ ̓and Mirâj by al-Sayyid Muhammad ibn ʻAlawī followed by The immense merits of al-Shâm and The vision of Allah. ISCA. ISBN 978-1-930409-00-2.
- al-Maliki, Sayyid Muhammad ibn Alawi (2003). Salawat Quraniah (in Malay). Abnak Production. ISBN 978-983-2276-47-0.
- Extract from “Notions That Must Be Corrected” by Shaykh Muhammad b. Alawi al-Maliki al-Hasani
- Getting to know the Sufis by Stephen Schwartz, The Weekly Standard
- on YouTube
- on YouTube
- Video of Shaykh Muhammad Ibn 'Alawî Al Mâlikî's funeral
- The Prophets in Barzakh and the Hadith of Isra and Miraj Followed by the Immense Merits of Al-Sham - Online book by Shaikh Muhammad
- The path ahead, Macleans.ca
- Obituary by Shaykh Seraj Hendricks
- Obituary by Shafiq Morton
- Obituary on Islamica Magazine
- A defence of the Ash'ari school by Shaykh Muhammad ibn `Alawi al-Maliki