Muhammad Habib Shakir
His son, Sheikh Ahmad Muhammad Shakir, wrote his biography in a treatise entitled Mohammed Shakir ‘Alam min A‘lam al-‘Asr
- Sudan's Supreme Judge for four years (1890-1893)
- Dean of Alexandria's Scholars
- Al-Azhar Secretary General ("Wakil") and a member of its board of directors
- Member of Al-Azhar Corps of High Scholars
- Member of Al-Azhar legislative Society ("al-Jam‘iyya al-Tashri‘iyya")
- "Al-Durus al-Awwaliyya fi al-‘Aqa’id al-Diniyya"
- "Al-Qawl al-Fasl fi Tarjamat al-Qur’an al-Karim"
- "Al-Sira al-Nabawiyya"
English translation controversy
Mohammed Habib Shakir has been stated by many internet sources as "a well known translator of the Qur'an into English." He has been associated with the translator M. H. Shakir of the translation published by Tahrike Tarsile Qur'an. However this idea is contradicted by two pieces of evidence that have now come to light:
- There is strong evidence that Mohammed Habib Shakir was against the translation of the Qur'an and considered the rendering of the Arabic into any other language unlawful.
- There is strong evidence that M. H. Shakir, the translator, is actually a pen name for Mohammedali Habib Shakir the son of Habib Esmail of The House of Habib.
It is alleged that the translation is directly plagiarized from Maulana Muhammad Ali's English translation of the Qur'an AAIIL, USA. One criticism in his translation is that he translates the word Nass to (He), which is wrong, those who speak Arabic understand that Nass means people. However, other opinions show that translating the word 'He' to refer to the entity of Mankind (which encompasses men and women) is plausible.
|Wikisource has original text related to this article:|
Islam online biography of translator Archived 2006-06-19 at the Wayback Machine
- "Introduction to Multiple Translations of the Qur'an". Archived from the original on 2007-10-09. Retrieved 2007-10-22.
- http://ahmadiyya.org/movement/shakir.htm - is the name a fraud?
A quote from Mohammed Habib Shakir Archived 2006-11-14 at the Wayback Machine
- Shakir Identified, AAIIL, USA
- "A report into several translations of the Holy Quran". www.muslim.org. Retrieved 2017-11-30.
- Compared Translations of the meaning of the Quran
- Al-Quran project includes the Qur'an translation of M. H. Shakir.
- Quran Database includes Quran Databases over 75 translation in 35+ different languages for developers.
- The Koran by M.H. Shakir University of Michigan Digital Library Production Service.
- Works by Mohammad Habib Shakir at Project Gutenberg