Muhammad Sharif (محمد شريف)
|Alma mater||Quaid-i-Azam University|
|Known for||Cosmology, Gravitational theories, General relativity, Mathematical sciences, Relativity, Relativistic Astrophysics|
|Awards||Izaz-i-Fazeelat (2007), Tamgha-e-Imtiaz (2008), Distinguished National Professor (2010)|
|Doctoral advisor||Asghar Qadir|
Muhammad Sharif (cosmologist) (Urdu: محمد شريف) (15 June 1962), TI, FPAS, is a Pakistani professor, specialised in mathematical physics and cosmology. He worked as the chairman of the department of Mathematics, University of the Punjab (PU), Lahore for six years, i.e., from 2013-2019. Now, Sharif has been appointed as Dean, Faculty of Science at University of the Punjab. He is a Higher Education Commission (HEC) Distinguished National Professor. He has been awarded with the Izaz-Fazeelat and Tamgha-i-Imtiaz by the government of Pakistan.
Sharif's father earned his living through agriculture.
After graduating from The Islamia University of Bahawalpur, Sharif proceeded to join Quaid-e-Azam University (QAU), initially focusing to become a good mathematician. In this respect, Sharif was enrolled at QAU in Islamabad where he excelled in courses of mathematics and physics and received MSc Mathematics in 1985.
Education and career
Sharif completed a postdoctoral Fellowship in South Korea and another in the UK.
Sharif has participated and attended more than 60 International and National workshops and conferences in his field. He has published more than 333 research papers and his work has been cited more than 3000 times by national and international researchers. He had organised an International Conference on Relativistic Astrophysics in University of the Punjab, Lahore-Pakistan during 10–14 February 2015, in which people from all over the world had participated. The aim of this conference is to celebrate 100 years of Einstein's theory of general relativity.
Sharif made painstaking efforts to spread awareness among Pakistani young students about writing more and more number of research papers in the field of relativity.
Awards and fellowships
- Post-Doctoral Fellowship awarded by Korea Science and Engineering Foundation (KOSEF) (2000).
- Research Productivity Allowance (2001–2008) awarded by Pakistan Council of Science and Technology(PCST).
- Tamgha-e-Imtiaz awarded by Government of Pakistan (23 March 2008).
- Best Research Paper Award awarded by Higher Education Commission (17 December 2009).
- Pakistan Academy of Sciences Gold Medal awarded by Pakistan Academy of Sciences (22 December 2009).
- Best Research Paper Award awarded by Higher Education Commission (March 2015).
Selected research papers
- General formula for the momentum imparted to test particles in arbitrary spacetimes (1992) by A. Qadir and M. Sharif
- Matter collineations of spacetime homogeneous Gödel-type metrics (2003) by U. Camci and M. Sharif.
- Matter Inheritance Symmetries of Spherically Symmetric Static Spacetimes (2005) by M. Sharif
- Isothermal Plasma Waves in Gravitomagnetic Planar Analogue (2007) by M. Sharif and U. Sheikh.
- Cosmological evolution for dark energy models in f(T) gravity (2012) by M. Sharif and S. Azeem.
- HEC Distinguished National Professors Archived 4 October 2013 at the Wayback Machine. Pakistan Higher Education Commission
- PU appointment as Chairman in Department of Mathematics Archived 15 August 2016 at the Wayback Machine. PU Community Centre
- List of participants, ICGAC11 Archived 4 October 2013 at the Wayback Machine
- "One-day conference on Gravitation held at Punjab University. PPI News Agency
- "Muhammad Sharif - Google Scholar Citations". scholar.google.com.pk. Retrieved 31 August 2018.
- "Brief news Lahore". 11 February 2015. Retrieved 31 August 2018.
- "PU to celebrate 100 years of Einstein's theory". Archived from the original on 24 April 2015. Retrieved 22 April 2015.
- Inductions of Fellows of the Pakistan Academy of Science, 2010. Archived 4 October 2013 at the Wayback Machine
- "UN climate envoys clear hurdle in Warsaw". Retrieved 31 August 2018.