||This biography of a living person needs additional citations for verification. (September 2009) (Learn how and when to remove this template message)|
|Interkosmos Research Cosmonaut|
26 May 1951 |
|Muhammed Ahmed Faris|
|Rank||General, Syrian Air Force|
Time in space
|7d 23h 04min|
|Selection||1985 Intercosmos Group|
|Missions||Mir EP-1 (Soyuz TM-3 / Soyuz TM-2)|
Born in Aleppo, Syria, he was a pilot in the Syrian Air Force with the rank of a colonel. He specialized in navigation when he was selected to participate in the Intercosmos spaceflight program on 30 September 1985.
After his spaceflight, he returned to the Syrian Air Force and lived in Aleppo. He is married and has three children.
He is also part of the Syrian National Coordination Committee for Democratic Change, an anti-violence, anti-Assad grouping 
In a March 2016 interview as a Syrian refugee in Turkey, Faris stated regarding the ongoing Syrian Civil War "I tell Europe if you don't want refugees, then you should help us get rid of this regime," adding "I am very sorry about the Russian interference, which has stood on the side of dictator Bashar Assad, and has begun to kill the Syrian people with their planes".
- "Syria’s first astronaut defects to Turkey: report". ArabNews. Retrieved August 5, 2012.
- (Russian) Biography at the website on Heroes of the Soviet Union and Russia
- "Syria’s first astronaut defects to Turkey: report". ArabNews. Retrieved 5 August 2012.
- on YouTube
- Al Aan, Akhbar (13 September 2012). "لقاء خاص مع رائد الفضاء السوري المنشق محمد فارس". Akhbar Al Aan. Retrieved September 23, 2012.
- AP Interview: Syrian cosmonaut: Europe must help oust Assad
|This article about a space explorer is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|
|This Syria biography article is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|