Muhriz of Negeri Sembilan
|Yang di-Pertuan Besar of Negeri Sembilan|
|Reign||29 December 2008 – present|
|Installation||26 October 2009|
|Predecessor||Jaafar of Negeri Sembilan|
|Consort||Tuanku Aishah Rohani|
|Issue||Tunku Ali Redhauddin Muhriz
Tunku Zain Al'Abidin Muhriz
Tunku Alif Hussein Saifuddin Al-Amin
|Mother||Tunku Ampuan Durah binti Almarhum Tunku Besar Burhanuddin|
14 January 1948 |
|Negeri Sembilan Royal Family|
HRH Tuanku Muhriz, The Yang di-Pertuan Besar
Tuanku Muhriz is the only son out of six children of the late Tuanku Munawir ibni Almarhum Tuanku Abdul Rahman, the Yang di-Pertuan Besar of Negeri Sembilan from 1960 to 1967, and of his consort, Tunku Ampuan Durah binti Almarhum Tunku Besar Burhanuddin.
Born in 1948, Tuanku Muhriz received his early education at the Tuanku Muhammad and Tunku Besar Schools in Tampin, the King George V School in Seremban, Negeri Sembilan and later at the Aldenham School in the United Kingdom.
He began his career in an international bank in Malaysia and became a director and shareholder of a company licensed as brokers in interbank foreign exchange and in the currency deposits market(1973–1986). He was the chairman and shareholder of a Malaysian joint venture with a worldwide advertising agency (1981–1992), chairman and director of a joint venture company involved in the manufacturing of building products(1995–1998) and a director and shareholder of a company engaged in electrical engineering and construction (1995 to present). He has been on the board of directors of Bangkok Bank since 2006.
Tuanku Muhriz was made Tunku Besar, or heir presumptive in 1960. However, he was bypassed by the Council of Undangs to become Yang di-Pertuan Besar when his father died in 1967 for his uncle, Tuanku Jaafar. Tuanku Jaafar was elected by the Undangs as the 10th Yang di-Pertuan Besar of Negeri Sembilan.
The Negeri Sembilan Constitution states that the order of succession should first be the sons of the previous Ruler, followed by the grandsons of the previous Ruler, then by the brothers of the previous Ruler, and only then by the sons of the brothers of the previous Ruler.
Tuanku Muhriz was first in the order of succession before the death of Tuanku Munawir, followed by Tunku Jaafar and Tunku Abdullah. When Tuanku Munawir died, Tuanku Muhriz was not chosen. Instead the council chose his half-uncle Tuanku Jaafar ibni Almarhum Tuanku Abdul Rahman, a diplomat. It has been suggested that the then Prime Minister of Malaysia, Tunku Abdul Rahman, influenced the Undangs not to choose Tuanku Muhriz on account of his youth (he was then only eighteen).
Yang di-Pertuan Besar
On 29 December 2008, The Council of Undang proclaimed him as the 11th Yang di-Pertuan Besar of Negeri Sembilan succeeding Almarhum Tuanku Jaafar ibni Almarhum Tuanku Abdul Rahman who had died on 27 December 2008. It has been learnt that many prominent Malaysians had backed Tuanku Muhriz to succeed as the Ruler of Negeri Sembilan in view of his modest and dignified personality and by his having a successful corporate career.
Due to a lifelong habit of keeping a low profile, Tuanku Muhriz was largely unknown outside royal circles in Negeri Sembilan. However, Tuanku Muhriz was hardly the underdog in the intense negotiations that was played out for the position of Yang di-Pertuan Besar of Negri Sembilan. During the closed discussions to elect the successor to the late Tuanku Jaafar, at least two, if not all four of the Undangs strongly championed his candidacy. They refused to budge when it was suggested that they consider Tunku Naquiyuddin, Tuanku Jaafar's eldest son, instead as the next Ruler of Negeri Sembilan.
Tuanku Muhriz has throughout his life established and maintained strong ties with the Undangs, the general nobility, the lesser royalty and people of Negeri Sembilan, and more so since moving back to the state a few years ago. He also has powerful backers within the political establishment in the state, with the former state Menteri Besar Tan Sri Isa Samad among his supporters.
There has been a quiet campaign by his loyal supporters at state and federal level to portray him as a well-spoken and well-educated man; someone who had the great strength of character to put aside the disappointment of not being appointed Ruler of the state in 1967: and who continues to lead a dignified and respectable life.
His supporters said that in contrast to members of Tuanku Jaafar's family, Tuanku Muhriz shuns publicity and though he can be very progressive in his outlook, he seems more rooted in traditional ways. Tuanku Jaafar's family are said to be completely devastated with the decision of the Undangs to select Tuanku Muhriz over Tunku Naquiyuddin. They too had several powerful politicians in their camp but the Undangs were not to be swayed.
Tuanku Muhriz is married to Terengganu princess Tuanku Aishah Rohani Tengku Besar Mahmud and the royal couple have three sons: Tunku Ali Redhauddin Muhriz, Tunku Zain Al'Abidin Muhriz, and Tunku Alif Hussein Saifuddin Al-Amin.
He was awarded:
Honours of Negeri Sembilan
- Negeri Sembilan :
- Royal Family Order of Negeri Sembilan Grand Master (since 29 December 2008) and Member (25.2.2009)
- Grand Master of the Order of Negeri Sembilan (since 29 December 2008)
- Grand Master and Recipient of the Royal Family Order of Yam Tuan Radin Sunnah (since 29 December 2008)
- Grand Master of the Order of Loyalty to Negeri Sembilan (since 29 December 2008)
- Founding Grand Master of the Order of Loyalty to Tuanku Muhriz (Negeri Sembilan) (since 14 January 2010)
- Founding Grand Master of the Order of Loyal Service to Negeri Sembilan (since 14 January 2010)
- Grand Master of the Grand Order of Tuanku Ja’afar (Negeri Sembilan) (since 29 December 2008 )
- Founding Grand Master of the Distinguished Conduct Order (Negeri Sembilan) (since ?)
- Recipient of the Distinguished Conduct Medal (PPT)
Honours of Malaysia
- Malaysia : 
- Recipient of the Order of the Crown of the Realm (DMN)
- Johor : 
- First Class of the Royal Family Order of Johor (DK I)
- Kedah :
- Member of the Royal Family Order of Kedah (DK, 17.1.2010)
- Kelantan : 
- Recipient of the Royal Family Order or Star of Yunus (DK)
- Perak :
- Recipient of the Royal Family Order of Perak (DK, 5.3.2009)
- Perlis : 
- Recipient of the Perlis Family Order of the Gallant Prince Syed Putra Jamalullail (DK)
- Selangor :
- First Class of the Royal Family Order of Selangor (DK I, 11.12.2009)
- Terengganu : 
- Member first class of the Family Order of Terengganu (DK I)
- "Tunku Muhriz Is Proclaimed New Yang Dipertuan Besar Of NS". BERNAMA. 2008-12-29. Retrieved 2008-12-29.
|Yang di-Pertuan Besar of Negeri Sembilan
incumbent Tunku Ali Redhauddin Muhriz