Mukesh at Mazhavil Manorama 2013
|Member of the Legislative Assembly for Kollam|
|Preceded by||P. K. Gurudasan|
22 November 1961 [page needed]
|Political party||Communist Party of India (Marxist)- CPI(M)|
|Spouse(s)||Saritha (m.1988–2011) (divorced)
Methil Devika (m.2013–present)
|Parents||O. Madhavan, Vijayakumari|
|Occupation||Film actor & Member of legislative assembly(MLA), Film Actor, Producer, Television host, Politician|
Mukesh (born Mukesh Babu, 22 November 1959 in Pattathanam, Kollam) is an Indian film actor, producer, and politician known for his work in Malayalam cinema. He's best known for his comic-oriented roles. Mukesh is the current Member of the Legislative Assembly (M.L.A.) representing the Kollam constituency of Kerala state.
Mukesh made his debut in the film Balloon (1982). He gained prominence for both his comedy and drama centred roles. Mukesh's role as Gopalakrishnan in Ramji Rav Speaking (1989) saw a rebirth in his career, a new type of stock character emerged based on Mukesh's stardom. A youthful, funny, and fraudulent young man who had to go against the law due to life's pressures and circumstances. This period saw the shift of Mukesh as a bankable lead actor, especially due to the box-office success of In Harihar Nagar (1990) and Godfather (1991). This led to a series of low-budget comedy films such as Innathe Programme (1991), Ennodishtam Koodamo (1992), Ammayane Sathyam (1993), Poochakkaru Mani Kettum (1994), Malappuram Haji Mahanaya Joji (1994), and Sipayi Lahala (1995).
Post-2000s, Mukesh went into another shift of his career. He started doing more character roles. Some of them being Chronic Bachelor (2003), Sethurama Iyer CBI (2004), Udayananu Tharam (2005), Rasathanthram (2006), Vinodayathra (2007), Naalu Pennungal (2007), and Innathe Chintha Vishayam (2008). In 2007, Mukesh turned to production as well. He formed Lumiere Film Company along with Sreenivasan. Their first venture Katha Parayumpol (2007) was a commercial success. Their second film Thattathin Marayathu (2012) was a huge success as well. In 2009, he made a massive comeback through To Harihar Nagar in his evergreen role Mahadevan and it is the highest-grossing film in his career till date. This comeback lead to many other commercial and critical successes such as In Ghost House Inn (2010), Mummy & Me (2010), Oru Marubhoomikkadha (2011), Sound Thoma (2013), English (2013), Lucky Star (2013), Adi Kapyare Kootamani (2015), and Two Countries (2015). In 2014, he won the Kerala Film Critics Award for his performance in English.
Mukesh was born to theater artist and actor O. Madhavan and Vijayakumari, who is also an actress, at Kollam, Kerala. He has two sisters, Sandya Rajendran and Jayasree. Sandhya's husband, E.A. Rajendran is also a film actor. He had his primary education from Infant Jesus School Kollam and pursued B.Sc from Sree Narayana College, Kollam. He holds LLB from Government Law College, Thiruvananthapuram. He acted in dramas before entering movie industry.
He was married to South Indian film actress Saritha and they have two sons Shravan, Tejas. Sravan is pursuing M.B.B.S at Ras Al Khaima University Dubai and Thejas is pursuing his undergraduate degree from Victoria University of Wellington New Zealand. Later, Mukesh married dancer Methil Devika on 24 October 2013. She worked as lecturer in the Department of Post-graduate Studies (Mohiniyattam/Kathakali/Koodiyattam) and at the Research Department, Kerala Kalamandalam Deemed University, Kerala.
Mukesh began his career through the movie Balloon in 1982. In 1985, he acted in Mutharamkunnu P. O. directed by Sibi Malayil, with a script by Sreenivasan and story by Jagadeesh. Then came a series of slapstick comedies, often with Priyadarshan, like Ponnum Kudathinu Pottu, Akkare Ninnoru Maran, Boeing Boeing and Odaruthammava Aalariyaam. His breakthrough came in 1989 with the movie Ramji Rao Speaking directed by Siddique-Lal. Thereafter he established himself as a leading actor in the Malayalam film industry. In the early nineties Mukesh acted alongside Jayaram, Jagadeesh and Siddique in a number of low-budget comedy movies. His major hits were directed by duo Siddique-Lal. Apart from Ramji Rao Speaking, they worked together in In Harihar Nagar, Godfather, Hitler, Chronic Bachelor and Friends. The characters he played were usually of a young man doing something fraudulent under the pressure of circumstances. The best example of a film with such a character is Sipayi Lahala (1995) by Vinayan and written by Sreenivasan.
He portrayed the CBI officer Chacko in the four movies of the CBI series directed by K. Madhu. His supporting roles with Mammootty received popularity. He maintains a close friendship with Mohanlal and has acted with him in films such as Hello My Dear Wrong Number, Thalavattam, Vandanam, Akkare Akkare Akkare, Kakkakuyil and Boeing Boeing. In the 2000s, he struggled a bit to escape an image trap. He has come back strongly with interesting supporting roles in Udayananu Tharam, Goal, Vinodayathra, Boy Friend, Kaiyoppu, Naalu Pennungal and Katha Parayumbol. He has been a part of many of Mohanlal's comedies, most of them directed by Priyadarshan.
Apart from acting, he also ventured into production with Sreenivasan. Their first movie, Katha Parayumbol, featured a cameo by Mammootty and was the biggest hit of the year. Mukesh was the host of Deal or No Deal, a Malayalam television program along the lines of Deal or No Deal which was aired on Surya TV and was a big success. Mukesh authored and published a book on his reminiscences and anecdotes from life. This book, in the Malayalam language, is titled Mukesh Kathakal – Jeevithathiley Nerum Narmavum. It is a collection of Mukesh's humorous experiences while he was a student at S. N. College, Kollam, and also contains some tales from his life as a movie actor. The book was a big hit.
Awards, honours and recognitions
- 2007 : Asianet Film Award for Best Film (Producer) – Kadha Parayumbol
- 2007 : Filmfare Award for Best Film – Malayalam (Producer) – Kadha Parayumbol
- 2007 : Kerala State Film Award for Best Popular Film(Producer)-Kadha Parayumbol
- 2011 : ISC Award
- 2013 : Kerala Film Critics Association Awards - Second Best Actor - English, Vasanthathinte Kanalvazhikal
|2016||Angane Thanne Nethave Anjettennam Pinnale||Paala Thankachan|
|2015||Adi Kapyare Kootamani||Father Alfred Kattuvilayil||Nominated - Asianet Film Awards for Best Comedian|
|2015||Su Su Sudhi Vathmeekam||Himself|
|2015||1000 – Oru Note Paranja Katha|
|2014||To Let Ambadi Talkies||Circle Inspector Jayashankar|
|2014||Ormayundo Ee Mukham||Doctor|
|2014||To Noora With Love||Special Appearance|
|2014||Praise The Lord||Sunny|
|2014||Mannar Mathai Speaking 2||Gopalakrishnan||3rd Part of RamjiRao speaking|
|2013||Escape From Uganda||Firoz|
|2013||Philips and the Monkeypen||Principal|
|2013||Ithu Manthramo Thanthramo Kuthanthramo||Sadanantha Bhoopathi Swami|
|2013||For Sale||Prathapan Guruji|
|2013||Sound Thoma||Plapparambil Mathai/Musthafa|
|2013||English||Joy||2nd Best Actor-Film critics award|
|2013||Lucky Star||Dr. John Chitillapally|
|2012||Hide N' Seek||Solomon / Niranjan|
|2012||Navagatharkku Swagatham||Rajasekharan aka Appettan|
|2012||Masters||SP Ravi Shanker|
|2011||Ninnishtam Ennishtam 2|
|2011||Oru Marubhoomikkadha||Abdu Kupleri|
|2011||Adaminte Makan Abu||Ashraf|
|2011||Happy Durbar||CID Ananthan|
|2011||Kottarathil Kutty Bhootham|
|2010||Mummy & Me||Joseph|
|2010||Swantham Bharya Zindabad||Pavan Kumar|
|2010||Cheriya Kallanum Valiya Policum||Sadasivan|
|2010||In Ghost House Inn||Mahadevan||Sequel to 2 Harihar Nagar (2009)|
|2010||Advocate Lakshmanan Ladies Only||Lakshmanan|
|2009||Bharya Swantham Suhruthu|
|2009||Kappal Muthalaali||Venkitt Raman|
|2009||Shudharil Shudhan||Mohanachandran Pilla|
|2009||Bharya Onnu Makkal Moonnu|
|2009||Currency||Danny D'Souza Aka Sayippu|
|2009||2 Harihar Nagar||Mahadevan||Sequel to In Harihar Nagar|
|2008||S M S|
|2008||Parthan Kanda Paralokam||Madhavan|
|2008||Innathe Chintha Vishayam||Dr .Murali Krishanan|
|2007||Vinodayathra||Shaji Raghavan||Mukesh 1st film with Sathyan Anthikad|
|2007||Rock N Roll||Vishal|
|2007||Naalu Pennungal||Nara Pillai|
|2007||Katha Parayumbol||Venu||Produced by Mukesh and Sreenivasan|
|2006||Balram vs Tharadas||Inspector Varma|
|2005||Nerariyan C B I|
|2005||Boy Friend||Minister Nateshan, Dineshan (double role)|
|2004||Sethurama Iyer CBI||Chacko|
- Varnam (1989)
- Mudra (1989)
- Ammavanu pattiya Amali (1989)
- Vandanam (1989)
- Ramji Rao Speaking (1989)
- Oru Sayahnathinte Swapnam (1989)
- Mathu Kudayum Choodi (1989)
- Aksharathettu (1989)
- Jagratha (1989)
- Varnatheru (1989)
- Nair Saab (1989)
- Mahayanam (1989)
- Dinarathrangal (1988)
- Sangam (1988)
- Moonnam Mura (1988)
- Aparan (1988)
- Vicharana (1988)
- Oru CBI Diary Kurippu (1988)
- 1921 (1988)
- P.C. 369 (1987)
- Neeyethra Dhanya (1987)
- Naradhan Keralathil (1987)
- Manja Manthrangal (1987)
- Adimakal Udamakal (1987)
- Athinumappuram (1987)
- Sruthi (1987) .... Pradeep
- Kalam Mari Katha Mari (1987) .... Yusaf
- Kottum Kuravayum (1987)
- Kurukkan Rajavayi (1987)
- Thaniyavarthanam (1987)
- Yagagni(1987) .... Chinkan
- Mazha Peyyunnu Maddalam Kottunnu (1986)
- Thalavattam (1986)...Hari
- Ponnum Kudthinu Pottu (1986)
- Onnu Muthal Poojaym Vare (1986)
- Hello My Dear Wrong Number (1986)
- Ayalvasi Oru Daridravasi (1986)
- Shyama (1986)
- Dheem Tharikida Thom (1986)
- Ithile Iniyum Varu (1986) ... Ramu
- Kshamichu Ennoru Vakku (1986)
- Prathyekam Sradhikuka (1986)...Raju
- Snehamulla Simham (1986)
- Ilanjipookal (1986).... Rajendran
- Atham Chithira Chothy (1986).... Rajan
- Aalorungi Arangorungi (1986)
- Koodanayum Kattu (1986)
- Adiverukal (1986)
- Katturubinu Kathukuttu (1986)... Soman
- Naale Njangalude Vivaham (1986)
- Ninnishttam Ennishttam (1986)
- Mutharamkunnu P.O. (1985)...DILIP KUMAR
- Kaiyum Thalayum Purathidaruthu (1985)
- Boeing Boeing (1985)
- Akalathe Ambili (1985) .... Ashokan
- Akkare Ninnoru Maran (1985).... Pavitran..
- Odaruthammava Aalariyam (1984)...... Gopan
- Pinnilavu (1983)....Sabu
- Ithu Njangalude Katha (1982)
- Balloon (1982)
|2000||Kodeeswaran (2000)||Surya TV||Anchor|
|2001||Sambavami Yuge Yuge||Surya TV||Actor|
|2008||Super Talent||Surya TV||Anchor|
|2009-2012||Deal or No Deal||Surya TV||Anchor|
|2013||Abhinethri||Surya TV||Serial Producer|
|2013-Present||Badai Bungalow||Asianet||Co-Host||Won,Asianet Television award 2016-Golden Star of the Year
2nd Asianet Comedy awards -Evergreen hero
Asianet Film Awards -Multifaceted talents of the year's
|2015||Sell me the answer||Asianet||Anchor|
|2016||Sell me the answer season 2||Asianet||Anchor|
- Laksham Laksham Pinnale (2013) (Reality show-Super 94.7 fm)
- Mukesh started Kalidasa Visual Magic for play productions. His first play was with Mohanlal and was named Chayamukhi which was written and directed by Prasanth Narayanan.and Naga another drama with methil devika. In the play, Mukesh played the role of Keechaka and Lal played Bheema.
- "Mukesh's profile". cinedairy.com. Retrieved 3 June 2015.
- "41st National Film Awards, 1994" (PDF). Directorate of Film Festivals. Akal Information Systems Ltd. Retrieved 15 March 2012.
- "താരങ്ങളുടെ കിടപ്പറയില് ഒളിഞ്ഞു നോക്കുന്നവരുണ്ട്". mangalam.com. 2013-06-03. Retrieved 2014-03-19. zero width joiner character in
|title=at position 23 (help)
- mangalam. "Mangalam - Varika 3-Feb-2014". Mangalamvarika.com. Retrieved 2014-03-19.
- "ഇത് ഞങ്ങള് കാത്തിരുന്ന വിവാഹം - articles,infocus_interview - Mathrubhumi Eves". Mathrubhumi.com. Retrieved 2014-03-19. zero width joiner character in
|title=at position 11 (help)
- Radhika C. Pillai (9 November 2013). "My marriage with Mukesh is an arranged one: Methil Devika". Times of India. Retrieved 25 January 2014.
- "എന്നെ ഒതുക്കാന് നോക്കേണ്ടാ.. , Interview - Mathrubhumi Movies". Mathrubhumi.com. 2012-08-28. Retrieved 2014-03-19. zero width joiner character in
|title=at position 16 (help)
- 'Indulekha books: Mukesh Kathakal'
- 'His maiden work is a big hit '
- "Mukesh got ISC Award".
- "'Drishyam' Bags Kerala Film Critics Association Awards". The New Indian Express. 2014-01-30. Retrieved 2014-03-19.
2016 Kerala Election Affidavit - Mukesh Age Sorce.
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to Mukesh (actor).|