Muktar Said Ibrahim

From Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Jump to: navigation, search
Muktar Said Ibrahim
Born (1978-01-24) 24 January 1978 (age 39)
Eritrea
Other names Muktar Mohammed Said

Muktar Said Ibrahim (born 24 January 1978), also known as Muktar Mohammed Said, has been found guilty of involvement in the attempted 21 July attacks on London's public transport system. He attempted to detonate a device on a London bus and was arrested sharing an apartment with the also guilty Ramzi Mohammed on 29 July 2005. During the arrest, which culminated in Ramzi and Ibrahim standing near-naked on their balcony to avoid tear gas that police had used,[1] Ramzi is reported to have repeatedly shouted "I have rights, I have rights!" to the media covering the event.

He was originally from Eritrea and arrived in the UK as a child dependent of asylum seekers in 1990, and was granted residency in 1992.[2] It has been reported that he applied for naturalisation as a British citizen in November 2003 and was issued with a British passport in September 2004. He had been living in Stoke Newington, London.[3] Ibrahim was convicted of robbery and jailed for five years in 1996 for committing the crime and also carrying a knife. His family were apparently unaware of any involvement in terrorist activities and have publicly distanced themselves from him since the bombing attempts.[4]

Arrest and Trial[edit]

29 July 2005 Ibrahim was arrested and in February 2007 tried alongside five other suspects for his part in the bombings.[5]

9 July 2007 he was found guilty at Woolwich Crown Court of conspiracy to murder[6] and sentenced to life imprisonment, to serve a minimum of forty years before being considered for release.[7]

Appeal[edit]

April 2008 the court of appeal judges dismissed a challenge by Ibrahim, Omar, Mohammed and Osman to their convictions.[8]

December 2014 an appeal to the European Court of Human Rights lodged in 2008 by the bombers claiming that their rights were breached in the 'safety interviews' after their arrests was rejected.[9]

See also[edit]

References[edit]

  1. ^ http://service.spiegel.de/cache/international/0,1518,368492,00.html
  2. ^ NewsFactor Network
  3. ^ http://www.hemelhempsteadtoday.co.uk/viewarticle.aspx?articleid=2031986&sectionid=4068
  4. ^ BBC NEWS | UK | Bus bomb suspect family's shock
  5. ^ BBC NEWS | Special Reports | 21 July trial
  6. ^ BBC NEWS | UK | Four guilty over 21/7 bomb plot
  7. ^ BBC NEWS | UK | Four 21/7 bomb plotters get life
  8. ^ "July 21 bomb plotters lose appeal 23 April 2008". The Guardian. Retrieved 31 December 2016. 
  9. ^ "July 21 failed London bombers lose appeal 16 December 2014". Telegraph. Retrieved 31 December 2016.