Mula River (India)
Mula River as viewed from Harris Bridge
|⁃ location||Near Aamby Valley, Pune District, Sahyadri, Maharashtra|
|Sangamwadi, Pune District, Pune city, Maharashtra, India|
|⁃ left||Pawana River|
|⁃ right||Devnadi, Ramnadi, Mutha River|
The Mula is a river in Pune, India. It is dammed near the Western Ghats at the Mulshi Dam that forms the Mulshi Lake. Further downstream, in Pune city, it merges with the Pawana River on the left bank and Mutha River on the right bank to form the Mula-Mutha river, which later meets the Bhima River.
Pollution and flooding
In 2010, areas surrounding the river experienced flash floods due to high levels of pollution and garbage dumped into the river.
The College of Engineering, Pune (CoEP) holds an annual boating festival at the river near its premises. In 2012, it was found that the river was not navigable from Khadki to CoEP because the Maharashtra Natural Gas Limited had obstructed the flow of the river by constructing a mud path to lay a pipeline.
Due to high levels of pollution, including 125 MLD of untreated sewerage water being discharged into the river by the Pune Municipal Corporation, the Maharashtra Pollution Control Board has classified the water quality to be of Class-IV.
- "Quick getaway: Mulshi dam, Chail". The Economic Times (India). 12 April 2012. Retrieved 7 July 2014.
- "RIVER SYSTEMS". GAZETTEERS OF BOMBAY STATE – POONA. Ministry of Culture and Tourism, Government of Maharashtra. Retrieved 7 July 2014.
- "Another bridge across Mula river in Dapodi planned". Pune. Times of India. 30 July 2013. Retrieved 7 July 2014.
- Gaikwad, Siddharth (28 October 2012). "Pimpri-Chinchwad township cuts over 2,800 trees to widen Aundh-Ravet Road". Pune: Times of India. Retrieved 7 July 2014.
- "17-yr-old dies after hitting pole on Harris Bridge". Pune: Times of India. 6 May 2013. Retrieved 7 July 2014.
- Chandawarkar, Rahul (5 January 2012). "Maharashtra Natural Gas team inspects damage to Mula river". Pune. DNA (newspaper). Retrieved 9 July 2014.
- "PMC removes construction waste along Mutha riverbank". Pune. The Indian Express. 28 June 2009. Retrieved 7 July 2014.
- Biswas, Partha Sarthi (18 April 2012). "Mula river 'wasted', get set for flash floods this monsoon". Pune: Daily News and Analysis. Retrieved 7 July 2014.
- "Dead fish in Mula river raise concern". Pune. Times of India. 22 March 2013. Retrieved 9 July 2014.
- "MAJOR SOURCES OF POLLUTION in PUNE" (PDF). Maharashtra Pollution Control Board. Retrieved 9 July 2014.
- "More cannabis growth found on Mula-Mutha river bed". Pune. Indian Express. 2 March 2014. Retrieved 9 July 2014.