|District||Kampala Capital City Authority|
|Division||Kampala Central Division|
|Elevation||1,260 m (4,130 ft)|
|Time zone||UTC+3 (EAT)|
Mulago is in Kawempe Division, one of the five administrative divisions of Kampala. It is approximately 4 kilometres (2.5 mi), by road, north of the city's central business district. The coordinates of Mulago are 0°20'33.0"N, 32°34'37.0"E (Latitude:0.342508; Longitude:32.576959).
"Mulago was derived from the Ganda word 'omulago', a type of medicine, kept on this hill that was used by King Suna II for protection against spirits. The landmark on this hill is Mulago Hospital. Built in 1917, Old Mulago Hospital merged with the New Mulago Hospital in 1960 to form a giant complex that is the national referral hospital. The complex also houses Makerere University Medical School."
At the lower end of the hill about 2 kilometres (1.2 mi) from the hospital complex, are the Uganda Museum and headquarters of the Uganda Wildlife Authority at Kamwookya. The British High Commission office and the High Commission office of Rwanda are both located in neighboring Kamwookya.
The hill is, however, dominated by hospital related activities that include:
- A doctors' village
- A nurses' Hostel
- Infectious Diseases Institute
- Mulago National Referral Hospital
- Makerere University College of Health Sciences
- Makerere University School of Medicine
- Makerere University School of Public Health
- Makerere University School of Biomedical Sciences
- Makerere University School of Health Sciences
- Mulago Women's Referral Hospital
- Upper Mulago Regional Referral Hospital
- Uganda Cancer Institute
- Uganda Heart Institute
- Kampala City Mortuary
- Research Laboratories
Other prominent structures and buildings in the neighborhood
- Corner house by Property Services Limited
- Tagore Apartments
- Iwat Solutions[third-party source needed]
- Uganda Radio Network
- Daks Couriers
- Kitante Medical Centre
The headquarters of the Uganda Ministry of Health is located at Wandegeya, in the valley between Nakasero Hill and Mulago Hill. There is a small residential area on Mulago Hill, overlooking the Uganda National Museum. Also, there is a market at Kamwookya, between Kololo Hill and Mulago Hill. The Uganda Electricity Transmission Company Limited maintains a large electricity sub-station at Mulago, which distributes power to the northern part of the city, including Makerere University, the Mulago Hospital Complex, Old Kampala and most of Nakasero Hill.
- "Elevation of Mulago Hill Above Sea Level". Uganda Safari Guide: Uganda Travel Guide. Retrieved 13 April 2014.
- GFC (24 January 2016). "Distance between Kampala Road, Kampala, Central Region, Uganda and Mulago Hospital, Kampala, Central Region, Uganda". Globefeed.com (GFC).
- Google (24 January 2016). "Location of Mulago At Google Maps" (Map). Google Maps. Google. Retrieved 24 January 2016.
- UTG (24 January 2016). "Kampala City, Uganda Travel Directory: Mulago Hill". Kampala: Uganda Travel Guide (UTG). Retrieved 24 January 2016.
- "Tagore Apartments | Fully Furnished Apartments in Kampala". Tagore Apartments | Fully Furnished Apartments in Kampala. Retrieved 2017-09-11.
- "IWAT SOLUTIONS LIMITED". Yellow.ug. Retrieved 2017-09-11.
- "iwatsolutions". LinkedIn.
- "iwat solutions , web design , web development, mobile application streaming". www.iwatsolutions.com. Retrieved 2017-09-11.
- "Daks Couriers – Logistics Transportation Warehousing". www.dakscouriers.com. Retrieved 2017-09-11.
- "Kitante Medical Centre | Kamwokya, Kampala, Uganda « World Traders' Directory". www.worldtradersdirectory.com. Retrieved 2017-09-11.
- Ronald, Muyimba. "Kitante Medical Centre | Kampala, Uganda". www.monitordirectory.co.ug. Retrieved 2017-09-11.
- Nicholas Wassajja, and Violet Nabatanzi (17 October 2014). "Fire guts Kampala North power substation". New Vision. Kampala. Retrieved 22 January 2016.