|Created by||Don Michael Perez|
Karen delos Reyes
For the complete list, see the Characters and Cast section
|Country of origin||Philippines|
|Original language(s)||Tagalog, Filipino, English|
|No. of episodes||165|
|Running time||30 minutes|
|Original network||GMA Network|
|Original release||August 2, 2004– March 18, 2005|
|Followed by||Mulawin: The Movie|
Mulawin is a speculative fiction Television drama series about two races of winged humanoids. The Mulawin must fight the Ravena to protect the mortals from its wrath. It tells the story of Aguiluz portrayed by Richard Gutierrez and Alwina which was portrayed by Angel Locsin.
The series ended on March 18, 2005 and a movie sequel was released in December 25, 2005.
GMA Network also aired the series on its international network, GMA Pinoy TV, and the rights to air the series have been also sold to other Asian countries. It was aired in Indonesia and Cambodia, dubbed in those countries' local languages. 
In 2011, GMA Network made another Mulawin spin-off - Iglot, a story about an Unggiko, legendary pets of the Mulawin race who have gone extinct in the midst of war between Ravena and Mulawin until the only surviving egg came out of a volcano when it erupted.
Before Ferdinand Magellan discovered the Philippines, flying human birds ruled the archipelago. Agiluz, a young Mulawin, was tasked by his father, who is left dying after a bout against the Ravenas Rasmus, Tuka and Kuwak, to find and protect the half-Mulawin/half-human Sugo, the one from the egg he was trying to protect from the Ravenas. Alwina, the Sugo, lives as a human under the care of Lourdes, the mangkukulam or healer of Tierra Fuego, while Aguiluz protects her from the shadows, both as a fulfillment of the promise he made to his father, and due to his growing feelings for Alwina. Things are complicated when Gabriel, the childhood friend of Alwina and is the only son of the Montenegros, the richest family in town, and Alwina grow feelings for each other. After they have decided to remain friends, it prompts Aguiluz to sacrifice his wings and his existence as a Mulawin in order to get closer to Alwina, who remains unaware of her true role.
Characters and cast
- Agiluz – Mulawin, tasked by his father Aquilar to protect Alwina at all cost. Aguiluz is played by Richard Gutierrez.Later, in the show, he falls madly in love with Alwina and all the troubles soon come afterwards. It is revealed near the end that he is the biological son of Ravenum, the leader of the Ravenas
- Alwina – half-Mulawin/half-Human, prophesied to be the Sugo who will unite the Mulawins and Humans. Later, joins forces with the Mulawins. Alwina is played by Angel Locsin. The role was first offered to Maxene Magalona but the latter refused to further her studies at Ateneo de Manila University.
- Gabriel – Human/Ravena, childhood friend of Alwina. Developed a crush on Alwina since childhood and is haunted by strange dreams. He was purified into a Ravena by Ravenum and renamed as a prince of Ravena. Later, he was turned back into human form. He is also the older brother of Aguiluz as revealed in the series' near-end. Gabriel is played by Dennis Trillo.
- Aviona – Mulawin, has a secret unrequited devotion to Agiluz. Aviona is played by Bianca King.
- Vultra/Violeta/Veronica – Ravena/Human/Mulawin, Queen of the Ravenas and wife of Rasmus. She transforms herself into the human form known as Violeta to kill the Sugo and later purified into Mulawin as Veronica. Revealed as the wife of Bagwis and the real mother of Alwina. Vultra, Violeta and Veronica are played by Ara Mina.
- Savannah – Human into Ravena, a social climber whose main goal is to get closer to Gabriel and his inheritance, no matter who or what stands on her way.She mainly hates Alwina because Alwina has got all of Gabriel's attention. Later, she joined forces with Ravenas as an evil princess. Savanah is played by Karen delos Reyes.
- Dakila – Mulawin, the aging wise leader of Mulawins. Dakila is played by Eddie Gutierrez.
- Ravenum – Ravena, the surrogate father of Rasmus, the real father of Aguiluz and Gabriel, and evil lord and ancestor of Ravenas. Ravenum is played by Michael de Mesa.
- Bagwis – Mulawin, the protégé of Dakila favored to be the next leader of Mulawins. He is the father of Alwina and the first husband of Vultra (who was later purified into Mulawin as Veronica). Bagwis is played by Zoren Legazpi.
- Habagat – Mulawin, the brother of Bagwis (who secretly longs to be the next leader of their race). He later joins forces with Ravenas. He is the husband of Linang and the father of Mulagat. Habagat is played by Romnick Sarmenta.
- Rasmus – Ravena, King of the Ravenas and the second husband of Vultra. He was a Mulawin before turning into a Ravena and later purified back into Mulawin to join forces against Ravenas in the last war. He is the best friend of Bagwis.He was later revealed to be an illegitimate child of Ravenum . Rasmus is played by Gary Estrada.
- Tuka – Ravena turned Mulawin, revealed as the adopted mother of Pagaspas and allies with Mulawins, played by Marissa Sanchez.
- Kuwak – Ravena purified into Human, joined forces with the Tagubas and the Mulawins, played by Bearwin Meily.
- Pagaspas/Gus – Night owl, the owl pet of Alwina who transforms into a young boy when together with another owl, Lawiswis. Later revealed as an adopted son of Tuka, a Ravena who was purified into a Mulawin. Pagaspas is played by Miguel Tanfelix; older Pagaspas is played by Rainier Castillo.
- Lawiswis/Wis – Night owl, the owl friend of Pagaspas who transforms into a young girl when with him. Lawiswis is played by Sam Bumatay; older Lawiswis is played by Denise Laurel.
- Mayi – Mulawin, she can transform into a maya bird. She is usually sent to spy the enemies. Mayi is played by Isabella de Leon.
- Lourdes – Human, she finds the giant egg which hatches Alwina. She is considered a witch by the town people, thereby is outcast to live in the outskirts of Tierra Fuego. She was purified into Ravena queen by Ravenum. She is the mother of Aramis,she was beaten and raped by a drunk man while trying to protect Veronica from the rapist.Lourdes is played by Amy Austria.
- Lucio Montenegro – Human, the adopted father of Gabriel. He is a ruthless landlord and the richest man in Tierra Fuego.He is later killed by a Ravena warrior with a gunshot. Lucio is played by Lloyd Samartino.
- Terong – Human, a peasant in the Hacienda de Montenegro and best friend of Gabriel. Terong's death at the hands of the Ravenas later made Gabriel realize that siding with the Ravenas is a very wrong choice. Terong is played by Kiel Rodriguez.
- Niwalum – Mysterious being, a playmate of Pagaspas and Lawiswis. "Niwalum" is also a reversed name or word of Mulawin. The series reveals Niwalum to be the manifestation of the Mulawin's magical Molave Tree in human form. Niwalum is played by BJ Forbes.
- Avilan – Mulawin, a great warrior-hero ancestor of all winged humanoids, and from whose namesake the Mulawins derived their home's identification. Later, as spirit guide to Amihan in Encantadia. Avilan is also played by Romnick Sarmenta.
- Aguilar – Mulawin, a great warrior-hero and father of Aguiluz. Later in the series, Aguilar turns out to be just a mere "creation" of Dakila to hide Aguiluz's real identity and origin. Aguilar is also played by Richard Gutierrez
- Paloma – Mulawin, a mysterious Mulawin living in the city, and could transform herself into a real bird. Flashbacks reveal that she is the daughter of Dakila, and that she self-exiled because of a misunderstanding with him. She later dies, also at the hands of the Ravenas, shortly after she confessed her love to Gabriel. Paloma is played by Tanya Garcia.
- Biba – Human, a playful neighbor and a close friend to Alwina. Biba is played by Jaja Bolivar.
- Lino – Human, an orphan living with his grandmother. He wants to seek revenge against the winged beings for the death of his parents. Lino is played by Brian Revilla.
- Rosing – Human, grandmother of Lino. Rosing is played by Alicia Alonzo.
- Yolly – Human, mother of Savanah who would do everything to help her daughter achieved her dreams. Yolly is played by ???.
- Pamela – Human, best friend of Savanah. Pamela is played by Tricia Roman.
- Lucila Montenegro – Human, mother of Gabriel. She is a depressed suicidal wife of Lucio. Lucila is played by Pia Pilapil.
- Ina/Salimbay – Mulawin, mother of Aguiluz and the guardian of Molave Tree. Ina is played by Carmina Villaroel.
- Pericos – Dak-dak Eagle Riggs; Ang-ang; Ngas-ngas Bidz dela Cruz; Gad-gad Sasi Casas
- Musangs – Kuskos Michael Roy Jornales; Musmos; Sakmal; Laab; Hampas
- Scouts – Procopio; Bianca
- Tagubas – Maningning Princess Punzalan; Estrella Cristine Reyes; Oyayi Shermaine Santiago; Dalaginding Ehra Madrigal
- Encantadians – Ynang Reyna Giselle Toengi; Linang Sheryl Cruz; Mulagat Jay Aquitania; Muyak Nancy Castiglione; Aramis James Blanco; Florona Bettina Carlos; Marikit Katarina Perez; Mayumi; Pirena
- Balasik and Haraya – Haraya Geneva Cruz.
- City Orphans – Botchok and Ching ching
- Mulawin Tribunal – Daragit
- Young Alwina – Kristel Fulgar
- Young Aguiluz – Kurt Perez
- Young Gabriel – Paul Salas
- Young Aviona – Shammel Leask
- Caloy/Laki/Hidalgo – Winged water buffalo.
Production and development
Maxene Magalona was the first choice for the lead role. The Alwina role was eventually given to Angel Locsin.
Long ago, in the dense forests of the Philippines, there lived a race of "bird-men" called Mulawin, men and women with feathers and wings like an eagle's. In those days, this noble and peace-loving race freely interacted with human beings, although they never moved too far away from the forest because it is from trees that bird-men draw their strength. But, as the human population grew in number, the people's demand for territory and resources also increased. They deforested more and more of the lands that were the Mulawin's home, and the bird-men were forced to seek refuge high in the mountains, away from greedy humans.
Despite what they suffered from the common people, the Mulawin would not harm them in return; they wanted only to preserve their way of life as best they could without coming into conflict with men. However, a splinter group soon formed with quite different intentions. This group broke away from the main tribe and became the Ravena, a fierce new race of bird-men with black and red plumage and a fearsome appearance. The Ravena's sole ambition was and is to subdue both the Mulawin and human beings.
The Mulawin founded a new home for themselves, naming it Avila, whereas the Ravena called their own realm, Halconia. At this time, the Queen of the Diwata (fairies) presented the Mulawin with two gifts: the Molave tree and the bird, Balasik. The Molave tree is the most treasured possession of the Mulawin, for if it is lost or destroyed, Avila will also lose its power and be conquered by the Ravena. The Balasik is a magical bird. Like an oracle, it knows and always speaks the truth. What is more, it is like an alchemical elixir of life: it gives youth and strength to whoever owns it. Although the Balasik rightfully belongs to the Mulawin, this clever bird pledges allegiance to no one.
Time passed on, and human beings and Mulawin grew to distrust one another. The Mulawin, fearing their own extinction at the hands of men, saw the latter only as selfish and destructive to the environment. For their part, humans made no distinction between the Mulawin and the Ravena. They taught their children to fear and despise both races of bird-men, even though it was only the Ravena who would attack and prey upon humans. As humans encroached more and more into the territories of the bird-men, Mulawin and Ravena alike fled farther away and were seen less and less often. Hence, people came to regard the idea of bird-men as nothing more than a myth, an old wives’ tale to frighten naughty children.
Now, it was foretold by the Balasik bird that a savior was about to be born. One who would unite the races of men and the Mulawin against the forces of evil. But before the child could be identified, the Ravena stole the Balasik from the Mulawin. With Balasik went the knowledge of the savior's identity to the kingdom of Halconia.
That is how our hero's and heroine's journey begin.
Film Sequel: Mulawin
Although it was the only film rated "A" by the Philippine Cinema Evaluation Board in the aforementioned film festival, it failed to garner any awards.
As a sequel, the characters who had died in the TV series were not included. However, new characters were introduced such as the Tres Aves – Banoy, Langay and Palong, Tayag and characters from Encantadia – Amihan, Pirena, Alena, Danaya, Ybarro, and Muros.
In October 2004, GMA Records released an album entitled Songs Inspired By Mulawin which also serves as the fantasy series' original sound track.
Mulawin mobile game
It is a vertical scrolling shoot 'em up game, similar to 1942 video game and Raiden arcade game. During game play, the player can switch between Alwina and Aguiluz, shoot Ravenas and other Mulawin enemies, and acquire extra health and power points. Towards the end of each level, a strong opponent will appear that should be defeated before advancing to the next level.
- List of shows previously aired by GMA Network
- List of telenovelas of GMA Network
- Mulawin: The Movie