This article needs additional citations for verification. (September 2016) (Learn how and when to remove this template message)
|Theme music composer||Jay Durias|
|Opening theme||"The Flight" by Richard Gonzales|
|Ending theme||"Ikaw Nga" by South Border|
|Country of origin||Philippines|
|No. of episodes||166|
|Camera setup||Multiple-camera setup|
|Running time||20-41 minutes|
|Production company(s)||GMA Entertainment TV|
|Original network||GMA Network|
|Picture format||480i (SDTV)|
|Original release||August 2, 2004– March 18, 2005|
Mulawin is a Philippine television drama fantasy series broadcast by GMA Network. Directed by Don Michael Perez and Dode Cruz, it stars Richard Gutierrez, Angel Locsin and Dennis Trillo. It premiered on August 2, 2004 on the network's Telebabad line up. The series concluded on March 18, 2005 with a total of 166 episodes. It was replaced by Darna on its timeslot.
The success of the series led to television spin-offs - Encantadia in 2005 and Iglot in 2011. While continuations of the series, the film Mulawin: The Movie was released in 2005 and the television series Mulawin vs. Ravena was broadcast in 2017.
Before Ferdinand Magellan arrived in the Philippines, flying human birds ruled the archipelago. Agiluz, a young Mulawin, was tasked by his father, who is left dying after a bout against the Ravenas Rasmus, Tuka and Kuwak, to find and protect the half-Mulawin/half-human Sugo, the one from the egg he was trying to protect from the Ravenas. Alwina, the Sugo, lives as a human under the care of Lourdes, the mangkukulam or healer of Tierra Fuego, while Aguiluz protects her from the shadows, both as a fulfillment of the promise he made to his father, and due to his growing feelings for Alwina. Things are complicated when Gabriel, the childhood friend of Alwina and is the only son of the Montenegros, the richest family in town, and Alwina grow feelings for each other. After they have decided to remain friends, it prompts Aguiluz to sacrifice his wings and his existence as a Mulawin in order to get closer to Alwina, who remains unaware of her true role.
Cast and characters
- Richard Gutierrez as Aguiluz – Human/Mulawin/Ravena, tasked by his father Aguilar to protect Alwina at all cost. He later falls in love with Alwina. It was revealed that he is the biological son of Ravenum, the leader of the Ravenas and the younger brother of Gabriel. Also a "Sugo".
- Angel Locsin as Alwina – Human/Mulawin/Ravena, prophesized to be the Sugo (chosen one) who will unite the Mulawins and humans. She later joined forces with the Mulawins as she discovers her real identity.
- Dennis Trillo as Gabriel – Human/Ravena, the childhood friend of Alwina who has developed feelings for her since childhood. He was purified into a Ravena by his father Ravenum and was hailed as the Prince of the Ravenas. Later on, he was turned back into a human. He is also the older brother of Aguiluz as revealed in the series' near-end.
- Ara Mina as Vultra / Violeta / Veronica – Ravena/Human/Mulawin, the queen of Halconia and the wife of Rasmus. She transformed herself into a human named Violeta to kill the Sugo (Alwina). She was later purified into a Mulawin as Veronica. She was revealed as the wife of Bagwis and the biological mother of Alwina.
- Gary Estrada as Rasmus – Ravena, the king of Halconia and the second husband of Vultra. He was a Mulawin before turning into a Ravena. He was later purified back into a Mulawin to join forces against the Ravenas in the last war. He is the best friend of Bagwis who was later revealed to be an illegitimate son of Ravenum.
- Amy Austria as Lourdes – Human, she found a giant egg which hatched Alwina whom she eventually adopted. She is accused as a witch in Tierra Fuego. She was forcibly purified into a Ravena queen by Ravenum. She is the mother of Aramis.
- Zoren Legazpi as Bagwis – Mulawin, the protégé of Dakila favored to be the next leader of Mulawins. He is the father of Alwina and the first husband of Vultra (who was later purified into Mulawin as Veronica).
- Romnick Sarmenta as Habagat – Mulawin, the brother of Bagwis who secretly longs to be the next leader of their race. He later joins forces with Ravenas. He is the husband of Linang and the father of Mulagat.
- Lloyd Samartino as Lucio Montenegro – Human, the adopted father of Gabriel. He is a ruthless landlord and the richest man in Tierra Fuego. He was later killed by a Ravena warrior with a gunshot.
- Karen delos Reyes as Savannah Montenegro – Human, a social climber whose main goal is to get closer to Gabriel and his inheritance, no matter what stands on her way. She hates Alwina because Alwina mainly gets all of Gabriel's attention. Later on, she joined forces with the Ravenas as an evil princess.
- Bearwin Meily as Kuwak / Makisig – Ravena, joined forces with the Tagubas and the Mulawins and also the Long Lost Brother of Maningning.
- Bryan Revilla as Lino – Human, an orphan living with his grandmother. He wants to seek revenge against the winged beings who killed his parents.
- Pia Pilapil as Lucila Montenegro – Human, mother of Gabriel. She is a depressed suicidal wife of Lucio.
- Marissa Sanchez as Tuka – Ravena, revealed as the adopted mother of Lawiswis and allies with Mulawins.
- Alicia Alonzo as Rosing – Human, grandmother of Lino.
- Kiel Rogriguez as Terong – Human, a peasant in the Hacienda de Montenegro and a close friend of Gabriel. Terong's death at the hands of the Ravenas made Gabriel realize that siding with the Ravenas is a wrong decision.
- Bianca King as Aviona – Mulawin, has a hidden unrequited love for Aguiluz.
- Jaja Bolivar as Biba – Human, a playful neighbor and the best friend of Alwina.
- Happy Lynn Sy as Yolly – Human, the mother of Savanah who will do everything to help her daughter achieved her dreams.
- Eddie Gutierrez as Dakila – Mulawin, the leader of the Mulawins.
- Miguel Tanfelix as Pagaspas / Gas – Owl, the owl pet of Alwina who transforms into a young boy when he is together with another owl, Lawiswis.
- Sam Bumatay as Lawiswis / Wis – Owl, the owl friend of Pagaspas who transforms into a young girl when she is with him. She was later revealed as the adopted daughter of Tuka.
- Tricia Roman as Pamela – Human, friend of Savanah.
- Michael de Mesa as Ravenum – Ravena, the surrogate father of Rasmus, the real father of Aguiluz and Gabriel, and the evil lord of the Ravenas.
- Kurt Perez as young Aguiluz
- Kristel Fulgar as young Alwina
- Paul Salas as young Gabriel
- Shammel Leask as young Aviona
- Carmina Villaroel as Ina / Salimbay – Mulawin, the mother of Aguiluz and the guardian of the Molave Tree.
- Richard Gutierrez as Aguilar – Mulawin, a great warrior-hero and the father of Aguiluz. Later in the series, Aguilar turns out to be just a mere "creation" of Dakila to hide Aguiluz's real identity and origin.
- Tanya Garcia as Paloma – Mulawin, a mysterious Mulawin living in the city, and could transform herself into a real bird. Flashbacks reveal that she is the daughter of Dakila, and that she self-exiled because of a misunderstanding with him. She later dies at the hands of the Ravenas shortly after she confessed her love to Gabriel.
- Isabella de Leon as Mayi – Mulawin, she can transform into a maya bird. She is usually sent to spy the enemies.
- Rainier Castillo as adult Pagaspas
- Dennis Laurel as adult Lawiswis
- Eagle Riggs as Dak-dak
- Ang-ang - Potrayed by
- Bidz dela Cruz as Ngas-ngas
- Sasi Casas as Gad-gad
- Michael Roy Jornales as Kuskos
- Musmos - Potrayed by
- Sakmal - Potrayed by
- Laab - Potrayed by
- Hampas - Potrayed by
- Procopio - Potrayed by
- Bianca- Potrayed by
- Princess Punzalan as Maningning
- Cristine Reyes as Estrea
- Shermaine Santiago as Oyayi
- Ehra Madrigal as Dalaginding
- Giselle Toengi as Ynang Reyna
- Sheryl Cruz as Linang
- Nancy Castiglione as Muyak
- James Blanco as Aramis
- Bettina Carlos as Florona
- Katarina Perez as Banayad
- Mayumi - Potrayed by
- Daluyong - Potrayed by
- Jay Aquitania as Mulagat – Mulawin/Diwata, the son of Habagat and Linang.
- Balasik - Potrayed by
- Geneva Cruz as Haraya
- Botchok - Potrayed by
- Ching ching - Potrayed by
- Daragit - Potrayed by
- Caloy / Laki / Hidalgo – Winged water buffalo.
Long ago, in the dense forests of the Philippines, there lived a race of "bird-men" called Mulawin, men and women with feathers and wings like an eagle's. In those days, this noble and peace-loving race freely interacted with human beings, although they never moved too far away from the forest because it is from trees that bird-men draw their strength. But, as the human population grew in number, the people's demand for territory and resources also increased. They deforested more and more of the lands that were the Mulawin's home, and the bird-men were forced to seek refuge high in the mountains, away from greedy humans.
Despite what they suffered from the common people, the Mulawin would not harm them in return; they wanted only to preserve their way of life as best they could without coming into conflict with men. However, a splinter group soon formed with quite different intentions. This group broke away from the main tribe and became the Ravena, a fierce new race of bird-men with black and red plumage and a fearsome appearance. The Ravena's sole ambition was and is to subdue both the Mulawin and human beings.
The Mulawin founded a new home for themselves, naming it Avila, whereas the Ravena called their own realm, Halconia. At this time, the Queen of the Diwata (fairies) presented the Mulawin with two gifts: the Molave tree and the bird, Balasik. The Molave tree is the most treasured possession of the Mulawin, for if it is lost or destroyed, Avila will also lose its power and be conquered by the Ravena. The Balasik is a magical bird. Like an oracle, it knows and always speaks the truth. What is more, it is like an alchemical elixir of life: it gives youth and strength to whoever owns it. Although the Balasik rightfully belongs to the Mulawin, this clever bird pledges allegiance to no one.
Time passed on, and human beings and Mulawin grew to distrust one another. The Mulawin, fearing their own extinction at the hands of men, saw the latter only as selfish and destructive to the environment. For their part, humans made no distinction between the Mulawin and the Ravena. They taught their children to fear and despise both races of bird-men, even though it was only the Ravena who would attack and prey upon humans. As humans encroached more and more into the territories of the bird-men, Mulawin and Ravena alike fled farther away and were seen less and less often. Hence, people came to regard the idea of bird-men as nothing more than a myth, an old wives’ tale to frighten naughty children.
Now, it was foretold by the Balasik bird that a savior was about to be born. One who would unite the races of men and the Mulawin against the forces of evil. But before the child could be identified, the Ravena stole the Balasik from the Mulawin. With Balasik went the knowledge of the savior's identity to the kingdom of Halconia.
That is how the hero and the heroine's journey begin.
Mulawin: The Movie (2005)
Mulawin vs. Ravena (2017)
In October 2004, GMA Records released an album entitled Songs Inspired By Mulawin which also serves as the fantasy series' original soundtrack.
It is a vertical scrolling shoot 'em up game, similar to the 1942 video game and Raiden arcade game. During game play, the player can switch between Alwina and Aguiluz, shoot Ravenas and other Mulawin enemies, and acquire extra health and power points. Towards the end of each level, a strong opponent will appear that should be defeated before advancing to the next level.
- Mulawin. 2005. GMA Network. Retrieved on February 1, 2010.
- Mulawin: The Movie. 2005. GMA Network. Retrieved on February 1, 2010.
- Encantadia. 2005. GMA Network. Retrieved on February 1, 2010.
- Etheria. 2006. GMA Network. Retrieved on February 1, 2010.
- Tuazon, Nikko (2 January 2017). "Mulawin sequel, Full House with Regine Velasquez, included among GMA-7 shows for 2017". PEP.ph. Summit Media. Retrieved 3 April 2017.
- "Mulawin" (2004) - A million stories for a billion people - HOOQ". www.hooq.tv. Retrieved 2017-08-17.
- "Mulawin (Full Episodes) - YouTube". Retrieved February 16, 2018.
- "Will Dennis Trillo topbill Mulawin remake?". Philippine Entertainment Portal. November 9, 2016.
- "LOOK: Muling pagbabalik ng mga Mulawin, magaganap na ba sa 2017?". GMA Network. November 9, 2016.
- "THE SOURCE: Dennis, lilipad na sa March 2017!". Abante. November 12, 2016.