Mule Creek State Prison
|Population||4,149 (126.3%) (as of 22 August 2018)|
|Managed by||California Department of Corrections and Rehabilitation|
|Warden||Joe A. Lizarraga |
Mule Creek State Prison (MCSP) is a California State Prison. It was opened in June 1987 and covers 866 acres (350 ha) located in Ione, California. The current population is 4,149 or 126.3 percent of its designed capacity of 3,284. The prison has a staff of 1,242 and an annual operating budget of $157 million.
In 2005, MCSP became the only California state prison exclusively for Sensitive Needs Yards (SNY) inmates. SNY inmates are segregated from the general prison population for their own safety. Many are gang dropouts, informants, sex offenders, and former law enforcement officers.
Notable former and current inmates
This section needs additional citations for verification. (August 2018) (Learn how and when to remove this template message)
- Robert John Bardo
- Michael Carson
- John Linley Frazier
- John Albert Gardner
- Patrick Kearney
- Roger Kibbe
- Suge Knight
- Bruce Lisker
- Big Lurch
- Andrew Luster
- Charles Manson (deceased)
- Lyle Menendez
- Herbert Mullin
- Gregory Powell (Onion Field Killer)
- Geronimo Pratt
- Hans Reiser
- Rollen Stewart aka Rainbow Man
- Charles "Tex" Watson
- Offender Information Services Branch (3 January 2013). "Monthly Report of Population" (PDF). California Department of Corrections and Rehabilitation: 2. Retrieved 22 August 2018.
- "CDCR - Mule Creek State Prison (MCSP)". Cdcr.ca.gov. Retrieved 2018-04-15.
- Mule Creek State Prison (MCSP) (2011). "Institution Statistics". California Department of Corrections and Rehabilitation. Retrieved 2011-05-16.
- "Easing the Hard Time - latimes". Articles.latimes.com. 2005-09-16. Retrieved 2018-04-15.
- CNN, Steve Almasy and Brandon Griggs,. "Charles Manson, leader of murderous cult, dead at 83". CNN. Retrieved 2017-12-06.
- Mule Creek State Prison – Official website