Mulegns

From Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Jump to: navigation, search
Mulegns
Former municipality of Switzerland
Mulegns.jpg
Coat of arms of Mulegns
Coat of arms
Mulegns is located in Switzerland
Mulegns
Mulegns
Mulegns is located in Canton of Graubünden
Mulegns
Mulegns
Coordinates: 46°31′N 9°37′E / 46.517°N 9.617°E / 46.517; 9.617Coordinates: 46°31′N 9°37′E / 46.517°N 9.617°E / 46.517; 9.617
Country Switzerland
Canton Graubünden
District Albula
Area
 • Total 33.80 km2 (13.05 sq mi)
Elevation 1,481 m (4,859 ft)
Population (Dec 2014)
 • Total 25
 • Density 0.74/km2 (1.9/sq mi)
Postal code 7455
SFOS number 3534
Surrounded by Avers, Bivio, Ferrera, Marmorera, Riom-Parsonz, Savognin, Sur, Tinizong-Rona
Website surses.ch/RM/surses/vischnancas/mulegns.html
SFSO statistics

Mulegns is a village and a former municipality in the Sursés in the district of Albula in the canton of Graubünden in Switzerland. On 1 January 2016 the former municipalities of Bivio, Cunter, Marmorera, Mulegns, Riom-Parsonz, Salouf, Savognin, Sur and Tinizong-Rona merged to form the new municipality of Surses.[1]

History[edit]

Around 600-500 BC, a copper mine and smelter were built in the Val Faller (Faller valley) near modern Mulegns. The village was founded by a Walser group during the 15th Century. It was first mentioned in 1521.[2]

Geography[edit]

Piz Platta, near Mulegns

Mulegns had an area, as of 2006, of 33.8 km2 (13.1 sq mi). Of this area, 30.1% is used for agricultural purposes, while 9.8% is forested. Of the rest of the land, 0.4% is settled (buildings or roads) and the remainder (59.6%) is non-productive (rivers, glaciers or mountains).[3]

The former municipality is located in the Surses sub-district of the Albula district. It is along the road to the Julier Pass (the Julienstrasse) at the entrance to a side valley of the Val Faller. Until 1943 Mulegns was known as Mühlen.[4]

Demographics[edit]

Mulegns had a population (as of 2014) of 25. Over the last 10 years the population has decreased at a rate of -23.5%.[3]

As of 2000, the gender distribution of the population was 50.0% male and 50.0% female.[5] The age distribution, as of 2000, in Mulegns is; 3 people or 9.1% of the population are between 0 and 9 years old. 1 person or 3.0% is 10 to 14, and 2 people or 6.1% are 15 to 19. Of the adult population, no one is between 20 and 29 years old. 6 people or 18.2% are 30 to 39, 1 person or 3.0% is 40 to 49, and 5 people or 15.2% are 50 to 59. The senior population distribution is 8 people or 24.2% of the population are between 60 and 69 years old, 6 people or 18.2% are 70 to 79, there is 1 person or 3.0% who is 80 to 89.[6]

In the 2007 federal election the most popular party was the CVP which received 63.3% of the vote. The next two most popular parties were the SVP (20%) and the FDP (8.3%).[3]

In Mulegns about 62.5% of the population (between age 25-64) have completed either non-mandatory upper secondary education or additional higher education (either university or a Fachhochschule).[3]

Mulegns has an unemployment rate of 1.56%. As of 2005, there were 12 people employed in the primary economic sector and about 5 businesses involved in this sector. people are employed in the secondary sector and there are businesses in this sector. 1 people are employed in the tertiary sector, with 1 businesses in this sector.[3]

The historical population is given in the following table:[2][5]

year population
1850 120
1900 146
1950 109
1960 57
1970 66
1980 50
1990 37
2000 106

Languages[edit]

Most of the population (as of 2000) speaks Rhaeto-Romance (57.6%), with the rest speaking German(42.4%).[3]

Languages in Mulegns
Languages Census 1980 Census 1990 Census 2000
Number Percent Number Percent Number Percent
German 4 8.00% 10 27.03% 14 42.42%
Romanish 46 92.00% 27 72.97% 19 57.58%
Italian 0 0.00% 0 0.00% 0 0.00%
Population 50 100% 37 100% 33 100%

References[edit]

  1. ^ Amtliches Gemeindeverzeichnis der Schweiz published by the Swiss Federal Statistical Office (German) accessed 27 April 2016
  2. ^ a b Mulegns in German, French and Italian in the online Historical Dictionary of Switzerland.
  3. ^ a b c d e f Swiss Federal Statistical Office accessed 30-Sep-2009
  4. ^ Amtliches Gemeindeverzeichnis der Schweiz published by the Swiss Federal Statistical Office (German) accessed 23 September 2009
  5. ^ a b Graubunden in Numbers (German) accessed 21 September 2009
  6. ^ Graubunden Population Statistics (German) accessed 21 September 2009


External links[edit]