Multi Caliber Individual Weapon System
|Multi Calibre Individual Weapon System (MCIWS)|
The Multi Caliber Individual Weapon System (MCIWS)
|Place of origin||India|
|Designer||Armament Research and Development Establishment|
|Manufacturer||Ordnance Factory Tiruchirappalli|
|No. built||Preproduction prototypes only|
|Weight||3.4 kg (7.5 lb) (empty)
4 kg (8.8 lb) (loaded with magazine)
|Length||910 mm (36 in) (including butt)|
6.8mm Remington SPC
|Action||Gas-operated, Rotating Bolt|
|Rate of fire||600-650 rpm|
|Muzzle velocity||715–890 m/s (2,350–2,920 ft/s)|
|Effective firing range||500 meters |
|Feed system||30-round detachable box magazines|
|Sights||Iron sights, various day and night optical sights|
Multi Calibre Individual Weapon System (MCIWS) is the new assault rifle developed by ARDE Pune of DRDO and likely to be manufactured by OFT Trichy of OFB, India. It was first seen at the DEFEXPO 2014 exhibition.
The Indian Army has decided to go for an indigenous assault rifle to replace the problematic INSAS rifle. The decision that could save thousands of crores in foreign exchange and boost local manufacture was taken recently by Army Chief General Dalbir Singh. The Army then cancelled a problematic Rs 4,848 crore order for importing Multi Calibre Assault Rifles on June 15-first reported by Mail on July 1.
The assault rifle is configured to fire in 5.56 NATO, 7.62×39 and in 6.8 Remington SPC. Its design is influenced by both the AR-15 and the FN FNC. The barrel assembly appears to be based on the AK-47. The design would allow soldiers to configure it according to the needs of the missions by changing rifle barrels. The MCIWS uses a gas operated short stroke piston design.
The MCIWS would include an indigenous under barrel grenade launcher to fire airburst-type grenades which can take out targets up to 500 meters. Various sights can be mounted on the picatinny railing on the upper receiver.
The gun is made up of high grade aluminium alloy and is of superior finish. The modular design of MCIWS helps the soldier to strip and assemble the gun much more easily by removing a pin, also the rivet-less design helps it to work better in combat environment.
- MCIWS specifications
- "DRDO multi-calibre guns undergoing trials - The Times of India". Timesofindia.indiatimes.com. 2012-12-28. Retrieved 2015-06-23.
- Johnson, Steve (2014-02-18). "India's Prototype MCIWS Rifle In Detail". The Firearm Blog. Retrieved 2015-06-23.
- "ARDE designs multiple-calibre rifle, begins prototyping | Sakal Times". Sakaaltimes.com. Retrieved 2015-06-23.
- "Saurav Jha's Blog : A new year for DRDO". Ibnlive.in.com. 2014-02-04. Retrieved 2015-06-23.
- "India-made automatic rifle production stuck in red tape | Business Standard News". Business-standard.com. 2015-01-11. Retrieved 2015-06-23.
- "Multi-Calibre Assault Rifle: Made in India vs Make in India". Indiandefencereview.com. Retrieved 2015-09-13.
- PDF file of Indian defence review, 2015
- "The Assault Rifles Of The Near Future (Updated)". 21st Century Asian Arms Race. 2014-03-01. Retrieved 2015-06-23.