Mumbai Film Festival
||It has been suggested that this article be merged into Mumbai Academy of the Moving Image. (Discuss) Proposed since October 2015.|
|This article relies too much on references to primary sources. (May 2012) (Learn how and when to remove this template message)|
Mumbai Film Festival (mumbaifilmfestival.com) is an International film festival held in Mumbai each year. Organized by the Mumbai Academy of the Moving Image (MAMI), the festival previews new films of all genres from around the world with a range of Competitions and Showcase categories.  The 14th Edition of MFF was held from October 18 to 25, 2012.
In 1997, a group of film industry stalwarts headed by late Hrishikesh Mukherjee founded the Mumbai Academy of Moving Image as a not for profit trust with the intention of organizing a renowned annual International Film Festival. MAMI aims to foster a climate of good cinema through the appreciation of good cinema, stripped of the limiting labels of art and commercial which can only come about through exposure to the best of films the world has to offer. The festival is the first step in that direction.
MAMI Board of Trustees clarified in their Mission Statement in 1997, “We feel it is the need of the hour to disseminate and inculcate good cinema among Indian audiences. The only way to achieve this is to celebrate cinema by hosting an international film festival in Mumbai (birth place of Indian Cinema), India 's film and entertainment capital. Mumbai Academy of Moving Image is committed to start Mumbai's first independent international film festival organized by practicing film makers.”
Trustees of MAMI
MAMI is chaired by Indian filmmaker Shyam Benegal.
The other Trustees of MAMI are:
- Amit Khanna, producer, lyricist and Chairman of Reliance Entertainment
- Amol Palekar, actor-director
- Ashutosh Gowarikar (Oscar Nominee for Best Foreign Language Film for Lagaan)
- Farhan Akhtar, director
- Jaya Bachchan, actress
- Karan Johar, director-producer
- Shabana Azmi, actress
Former Trustees of MAMI
- Late Yash Chopra, producer and director
- International competition for the first feature films of directors
- This selection aims to attract fresh talent to the festival. The competition is open to debut filmmakers from all over the world.
- Dimensions Mumbai
- A short film competition of five-minute duration or less in any format by the Youth of Mumbai below the age of twenty five, on any aspect of this bustling metropolis, Mumbai.
- Harmony celebrate age
- This competition aspires to encourage filmmakers from all over the world to look at the spice, fun, adventure and concerns of growing older.
- World cinema
- World Cinema showcases the best cinema of the year which are selected from important global film festivals.
- Above the cut
- Films in this category screens a package of debut feature films which could not be accommodated in the International Competition.
- Films in this selection present films from the past.
- Indian frame
- Features the very best of Indian Cinema from all regions of the country.
- New faces in Indian cinema
- Screens first and second feature films of Indian directors to provide a platform for emerging Indian filmmakers.
- The real reel
- Showcases award-winning and critically acclaimed feature length documentaries which carry strong opinions on issues concerning social lives, human nature and many other topics.
- Film India worldwide
- The global face of Indian cinema, which has gone beyond reflecting diaspora.