Mumbai Metropolitan Region
Mumbai Metropolitan Region (MMR)
|• Metro||6,355 km2 (2,454 sq mi)|
|• Density||4,764/km2 (12,340/sq mi)|
|Time zone||UTC+5.30 (IST)|
Mumbai Metropolitan Region (MMR) is a metropolitan area consisting of Mumbai and its satellite towns in Maharashtra, India. The region has an area of 6,355 square kilometers and with a population of over 26 million it is among the most populous metropolitan areas in the world.
Developing over a period of about 20 years, it consists of nine municipal corporations and fifteen smaller municipal councils. The entire area is overseen by the Mumbai Metropolitan Region Development Authority (MMRDA), a Maharashtra State Government organisation in charge of town planning, development, transportation and housing in the region.
The MMRDA was formed to address the challenges in planning and development of integrated infrastructure for the metropolitan region. The areas outside Brihan Mumbai (Greater Mumbai) and Navi Mumbai have lacked organised development. Navi Mumbai, developed as one of the largest planned cities in the world, was promoted by a Maharashtra Government-owned company, City and Industrial Development Corporation (CIDCO).
The region has had problems related to haphazard and illegal development as a result of rapid urbanisation. Villages along the NH3 in Bhiwandi Taluka are examples of haphazard developments in the MMR, with some of the largest warehousing areas in India. Government agencies such as the Town Planner and Collector of Thane have had challenges in addressing unorganised development.
- Navi Mumbai
- Mumbai City (complete)
- Mumbai Suburban (complete)
- Thane (partial)
- Palghar (partial)
- Raigad (partial)
- Pune metropolitan region
- Kolkata metropolitan area
- Chennai metropolitan area
- Delhi metropolitan area
- List of metropolitan areas in Asia by population
- MMRDA cities table
- Mumbai Railway Station Names
- Mumbai Metropolitan Region Development Authority - Who We Are
- "Metropolitan region now covers Palghar, Vasai | Mumbai News - Times of India". The Times of India.
- "INDIA STATS: Million plus cities in India as per Census 2011". Press Information Bureau, Mumbai. National Informatics Centre (NIC). Archived from the original on 30 June 2015. Retrieved 7 February 2012.
- "Mumbai Metropolitan Region Development Authority – About MMR". mmrda.maharashtra.gov.in. Retrieved 21 February 2017.
- "Mumbai metropolitan area" (in Italian). Projectsecoa.eu. Archived from the original on 6 October 2014. Retrieved 14 March 2013.