Mumbai Railway Vikas Corporation
This article has multiple issues. Please help improve it or discuss these issues on the talk page. (Learn how and when to remove these template messages)(Learn how and when to remove this template message)
|Public Sector Undertaking|
|Founded||12 July 1999|
|Headquarters||Churchgate, Mumbai, India|
|Mumbai metropolitan region|
|Prabhat Sahai (Chairman & MD)|
Ministry of Railways (51%)|
Government of Maharashtra (49%)
Mumbai Railway Vikas Corporation is a Public Sector Undertaking of Govt. of India under Ministry of Railways (MoR) was incorporated under Companies Act, 1956 on 12 July 1999 with an equity capital of Rs. 25 crore shared in the ratio of 51:49 between Ministry of Railways and Government of Maharashtra. MRVC is responsible to execute the projects under Mumbai Urban Transport Project (MUTP) as sanctioned by Ministry of Railways. The Corporation will execute a number of suburban rail improvement projects for enhancing suburban rail transportation capacity thereby reducing the over crowding and meeting future traffic requirements. The corporation will also be involved in the planning and development of Mumbai Suburban Rail system. The main objectives of MUTP are:
- Bringing down the passengers per 9 coach to 3000 as against existing 5000.
- Segregate the suburban train operation from the main line passenger and freight services
Current Projects of MRVC status as of January 2010
(1) Kurla - Thane 5th & 6th Line - Started the use of the same.
(2) Thane - Diva 5th & 6th Line - to be used for Local E.M.U. services.
- Integrate suburban rail capacity enhancement plans with urban development plan for Mumbai and propose investments.
- Implement the rail infrastructure projects in Mumbai suburban sections.
- Commercially develop Railway land and airspace in Mumbai area to raise funds for suburban railway development.
- Resettlement & Rehabilitation of Project Affected Households.
OVERVIEW OF THE EXISTING MUMBAI SUBURBAN RAILWAY:
- The Suburban Railway System in Mumbai is the most complex, densely loaded and intensively utilized system in the world.
- It has the highest passenger density in the world – 7.2 million commuters travel every day.
- Two zonal Railways, Western Railway (WR) and Central Railway (CR), operate the Mumbai Suburban Railway System.
- It is spread over an expanse of 319 route km.
- The suburban services are run by Electric Multiple Units (EMUs)
- 196 rakes (train sets) of 9-car, 12-car & 15-car composition are utilized to run more than 2600 train services.
- It is operated on 1500 Volt DC power supply from overhead catenary(until April 2016 when the whole network is converted into AC).