Mumbai Urban Transport Project
The Mumbai Urban Transport Project (MUTP), is a project formulated by the Mumbai Metropolitan Region Development Authority (MMRDA) to bring about improvement in the traffic and transport situation in the Mumbai metropolitan region with the assistance of the World Bank.
The parties involved in the project include:
- Government of Maharashtra
- Mumbai Railway Vikas Corporation (MRVC)
- Indian Railways (IR)
- Mumbai Metropolitan Region Development Authority (MMRDA)
- Brihanmumbai Municipal Corporation (BMC)
- Brihanmumbai Electric Supply and Transport (BEST)
- World Bank
Phase I began in 2002 and was completed in 2011. The total estimated cost of the MUTP Phase I was ₹4,526 crore (US$630 million). Most of the money was spent on railway projects, while less than a fourth was spent on road projects.
The following projects were proposed to be implemented under MUTP:
|Project||Sanctioned cost (₹crore)||Revised cost (₹crore)|
|CST-Kurla, 5th and 6th track||659||923.78|
|Mumbai Central-Borivali, 6th track||522||1049.91|
|Thane–Diva, 5th and 6th track||133||287.62|
|Extension of Harbor Line to Goregaon||103||147.60|
|1500 V DC to 25000 V AC power conversion||293||739.91|
|EMU train procurement||2930||3041.13|
|Maintenance facilities for EMU trains||205||323.67|
|Stabling lines for EMUs||141||178.91|
|Resettlement and rehabilitation of PAPs||124||124|
|Station improvement and trespassing control||128||128|
Phase III of the Mumbai Urban Transport Project was approved on 8 December 2011. It will cost ₹52,000 crore (US$7.2 billion). The feasibility study for the project cost ₹100 million (US$1.4 million). The project includes a fast corridor from Chhatrapati Shivaji Terminus to Panvel with a connection to the proposed new Navi Mumbai International Airport, extending the Harbour Line to Borivali, and multiple additional tracks being laid on existing routes. The project is scheduled for completion in 2031.
- MUTP enters final stage as railways roll out funding plan - Mumbai - DNA. Dnaindia.com. Retrieved on 2013-07-16.
- MMRDA. "Mumbai Urban Transport Project". MMRDA. Retrieved 7 April 2014.
- "Mumbai Urban Transport Project". MMRDA. Retrieved 2014-03-27.
- Bonanza for Mumbai rail commuters. Business Standard (2012-03-15). Retrieved on 2013-07-16.
- "MRVC wastes Rs 1,700 crore by delaying key rail projects". Mid-Day. 2014-03-01. Retrieved 2014-03-27.
- "State sanctions Virar-Panvel rail project, fast track for CST Panvel". Mumbai Mirror. 2011-12-09. Retrieved 2014-03-27.