|Coordinates: 19°10′48″N 73°01′21″E / 19.18000°N 73.02250°E|
|• Type||Municipal Corporation|
|• Body||Thane Municipal Corporation|
|• Total||13.97 km2 (5.39 sq mi)|
|• Density||64,000/km2 (170,000/sq mi)|
|Time zone||UTC+5:30 (IST)|
|Vehicle registration||MH-04 Thane city|
|Lok Sabha constituency||Kalyan|
|Vidhan Sabha constituency||Mumbra-Kalwa|
Mumbra is a town in Thane district in Western India in the state of Maharashtra, a Mumbai suburb within the Mumbai Metropolitan Region. It is administered by Thane Municipal Corporation.
Mumbra was a flourishing shipbuilding center in early times.
Much of the land around Mumbra was agricultural land until 1975. Between 1968 and 1975, Mumbai experienced significant population growth and greater population density. Then, about 1975, Mumbra's agricultural land was urbanized. This signaled an expansion of the greater Mumbai area, which realized significant population growth in the 1980s. Wafa Hill's "A, B, C" was one of the first planned Thane Municipal Corporation (TMC) approved buildings developed in the 1990s. Which lead the foundation for urbanization in Mumbra.
In 1991 there were about 44,000 people. After the riots of 1992 many Muslims fled Mumbai and settled in Mumbra; 10 Sq mile land was allotted by state Government under custody of state waqf board for resettlement of fled Muslims of different part of Mumbai. It is India's largest Muslim locality also known by India's largest Muslim Ghetto.
The population of Mumbra was 9 lakhs as of 2012. More than 80% of Mumbra's residents are Muslim.
Bus service is available through the Thane Municipal Transport (TMT) and Navi Mumbai Municipal Transport (NMMT).
Rail service is available at the Mumbra railway station on Central line, also called as mainline. Mumbra is 29 kilometres (18 mi) from the Mumbai airport.
The main source of Transport in Mumbra is Auto-Rickshaw. Mumbra didn't have any bus starting from Mumbra railway station and hence Auto-Rickshaws was the only possible conveyance.
But now, TMT Thane Municipal Transport runs bus service starting from Mumbra Railway Station to Bharat gears company.
State transport (MSRTC) operate regular bus service between Panvel, Bhiwandi, and Shil Phata.
Mumbra is known for its green lavish mountains and waterfalls enhancing the beauty of the city.
- ^ Metropolitan planning and management in the developing world: spatial decentralization policy in Bombay and Cairo. United Nations Centre for Human Settlements (UN-HABITAT). 1993. pp. 39–40. ISBN 9211312337. OCLC 32406987.
- ^ Mumbracity.com online portal on Mumbra
- ^ a b "Thane building collapse: Mumbra tragedy a fallout of illegal construction boom". Indian Express. 9 April 2013. Retrieved 9 April 2013.
- ^ Peer, Basharat (10 June 2016). "In India's largest Muslim ghetto". The Hindu. Retrieved 5 July 2022.
- ^ Halarnkar, Samar (24 November 2011). "Lesson from Mumbra". Hindustan Times.
- ^ "Direct Mumbra-Vashi bus service from today". The Times of India. 5 October 2008. Archived from the original on 29 June 2013. Retrieved 8 April 2013.
- ^ "Mumbra Local Station Information". Mumba Life Life. Retrieved 9 April 2013.
- ^ "Distance from Mumbra to domestic airport at Mumbai". Distances Between. Retrieved 9 April 2013.