Munachi Gail Teresa Abii Nwankwo
|Occupation||Rap/hip hop recording artiste, songwriter, tv presenter, model|
|Height||5 ft 7 in (1.70 m)|
|Title||Most Beautiful Girl in Nigeria (MBGN) 2007|
Munachi Abii (born Munachi Gail Teresa Abii Nwankwo) is a Nigerian rapper / hip-hop artist, songwriter, television presenter model, and actress who performs under the name Muna. She is the winner of Most Beautiful Girl in Nigeria (MBGN) 2007. She is Igbo from Imo state.
Born and raised in Port Harcourt, Owerri-native Muna was encouraged by her family to pursue her passion for music and arts. After obtaining her O'Level qualifications from Federal Government Girls' College, Abuloma, she studied International relations and Diplomacy at the Benson Idahosa University.
During her second year at University in 2007, Muna won the Most Beautiful Girl in Nigeria pageant. Her platform as reigning queen was Polio and Sickle cell Awareness, and she represented Nigeria at Miss World in China later that year. In 2009, Muna worked with MBGN 2000 winner Matilda Kerry on a project to raise awareness on cervical cancer.
Prior to winning MBGN, Muna had performed as part of Port Harcourt-based rap group The Specimen A and collaborated with Terry da Rapman on the critically acclaimed My PH Girl. Contrary to popular belief, Muna did not start her music career with rap group Ijaw Boyz, although she did perform with them as a guest artist. As a solo rapper, she performed as Babyrella before changing her stage name to Muna, and as a songwriter, she has written songs for artistes such as J Martins and Waje. She also appeared in several music videos, most notably in P Square's "Ifunanya".
In June 2010, after years of collaborating with various artistes, Muna signed a multi-year management contract with Ayo Shonaiya's RMG company and started working on her debut album The Goddess, The Hustler, which will include the singles I Feel Real, and Killer Queen. Muna continues to collaborate with other hip hop artistes; in early 2011, she wrote the lyrics and featured on Waje's hit single So Inspired and also appeared in rapper Suspect's video for I No Send You.
Muna was one of the female rappers to feature and represent Nigeria on the globally televised BET Cypher for the BET Awards in 2011, and in April 2012, Muna released two singles Here To Stay and Down Down Low.
In April 2011, after shooting the video for her feature on Michael Word's Pop Sugar, she co-presented the television series Malta Guinness Street Dance Africa. Muna also presented the Mr Nigeria Pageant and in 2012, The Nokia Don't Break The Beat multi-city Rap Battle contest.
In 2019, Muna featured in the Nollywood movie Living in Bondage: Breaking Free.
- "Meet the Most Beauriful Girls in Nigeria". buzznigeria.com. Retrieved 6 November 2019.
- Felicia, Onuigbo (9 August 2018). "30Yrs Old Ex Beauty Queen". gistmania. Retrieved 6 November 2019.
- MBGN website Archived 1 May 2008 at the Wayback Machine
- Vanguard interview with Munachi
- "Welcome to Linda Ikeji's Blog". lindaikeji.blogspot.com. Retrieved 29 August 2017.
- Alex, Samade (16 January 2010). "Handing over a relief, Says Munachi Abii". Vanguard. Retrieved 29 August 2017.
- "Modern Ghana - Breaking News, Ghana, Africa, Entertainment". ModernGhana.com. Retrieved 29 August 2017.
- Linda Ikeji (27 June 2010). "Welcome to Linda Ikeji's Blog: Munachi Abii signs with RMG company". Lindaikeji.blogspot.co.uk. Retrieved 19 April 2014.
- "Munachi Abii Steps Up Music Career". PM NEWS Nigeria. 1 July 2010. Retrieved 29 August 2017.
- "OFFICIAL RELEASE: Muna - I Feel Real (The David Guetta Mix)". NotJustOk. 16 September 2010. Retrieved 29 August 2017.
- "Muna - Killer Queen ft Buckwylla". NotJustOk. 9 January 2011. Retrieved 29 August 2017.
- "Waje - So Inspired feat. Muna". NotJustOk. Retrieved 6 November 2019.
- "Muna's Biography". AFROBIOS. Retrieved 21 August 2014.
- "VIDEO: BET Hip Hop Awards Nigerian Cypher 2011 (MALE & FEMALE)". NotJustOk. Retrieved 19 April 2014.
- "Muna – Here To Stay ft IBK (Spaceship Boi) + Down Down Low". NotJustOk. Retrieved 19 April 2014.
- "BN Exclusive: Munachi as the new Face of LUX Soap – A Sneak Peek of the TV & Print Ads". BellaNaija. 12 May 2011. Retrieved 19 April 2014.
- Johnson, Ayodele (2 August 2016). "Ex Beauty Queen becomes TV Presenter". Pulse.ng. Retrieved 6 November 2019.
- "Nokia Don't Break The Beat Competition Pulls A Huge Crowd in Abuja". Jaguda.com. 4 April 2012. Retrieved 19 April 2014.
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to Muna (rapper).|