Munali Secondary School
|This article needs additional citations for verification. (December 2013) (Learn how and when to remove this template message)|
Under this name there are three branches. Namely, Munali Boys Secondary School, Munali Girls Secondary School and Munali School for the Deaf and Blind. The school's slogan is "Only the best is good enough for Munali." The school produced the entire 1964 Independence Cabinet of the first Republican President of Zambia, Dr. Kenneth Kaunda, who himself is a former “Munalian”. The former President Mr. Rupiah Banda is also a former “Munalian”. One unofficial slogan is "Once a Munalian, always a Munalian".
Classes are called M, U, N, A, L, I, S, E, C from Grade 8 to Grade 9 and M, U, N, A, L from grades 10 to 12. This is extracted from the name of the school: Munali Secondary School. 12M was known as the Kim Jong Il Class, named after the first President of the Republic of Korea. The class received financial support from the Korean Embassy until recently when the financial aid was terminated. The University of Zambia receives many students from Munali School. The school was a secondary school up until 2001 when it became a high school. It only recently became a secondary school again after the education system was changed by the late President Michael Sata.
Munali Boys Secondary School
The current headmistress is Mrs. Pwele, who took over from Mr. L. K. Yamboto in 2014. Mr. Chinkata took over from Mr. Saka, who was acting head for about three years.
All classes offer three mandatory subjects (Mathematics, English and Biology) and three optional subjects. There are three pure science classes: M, U and N. The other classes offer physical sciences.
The Munali Boys Debate Society is one of the oldest clubs. One of the most successful panels was made up of Jackson Ngoma, Arthur Kaoma, Mwanza Daka and Simon Ngoma. The Parliament Club which was headed by Auten Kazemba and Peter Changufu.
Other clubs that have been at the school are Munali News Agency, Commerce, Young Scientific researchers, children's rights club(crc), Red Cross, Anti-AIDS, Drama, ZICTA, Anti-Corruption, JETS, TEVO etc. Some have since died off.
under the able leadership of mwanza daka, the crc grew from strength to strength. unfortunately it died off after he left the school.
Munali Girls School
The girls school was headed by Mrs. Sumbwa and Mrs. Chanda.
The schools funded by the Government of the Republic of Zambia.
- Kenneth Kaunda, the first president of Zambia
- Rupiah Banda, the fourth president of Zambia
- Luke John Mwananshiku
- Innocent Musonda K.L.
- Ng'andu Peter Magande, former Secretary General of ACP Group of States and Minister of Finance and National Planning
- Clarence Konkola Mvula, Ex Munalian Association Director of information and publicity (eMaz)
- Yotham Muleya, long distance runner
- help provide books to African students - BookCrossing News May 16 2002 Retrieved 2007-10-10
- Verandahs of Power: Colonialism and Space in Urban Africa By Garth Andrew Myers
- Times of Zambia - Mwananshiku: An icon in Zambia’s economic history Retrieved 2007-10-10
- Facebook profile Retrieved 2010-07-27