Muncie Central High School
|Muncie Central High School|
|801 North Walnut Street
Muncie, Indiana, Delaware County 47334
|Type||Public high school|
|School district||Muncie Community Schools|
Muncie Central High School (MCHS) in Muncie, Indiana is a public high school. As of the 2013–14 school year, it had 913 students. Opened in 1868, the school is today part of the Muncie Community Schools Corp.
Opened in 1868, Muncie High School produced a first graduating class of six students. In 1881, the school was renamed Muncie Central High School, and in 1915 it moved to a four-story building on South High Street in Muncie. In the early 1920s, it became was one of Indiana's first schools to adopt a mascot.
In 1974, the school moved to its present location on Walnut Street in downtown Muncie. The school was originally open concept with almost no interior walls, but it has since been remodeled to a traditional format.
After the 2013–2014 school year, Muncie Central merged with Muncie Southside High School to form one high school.
The school has a strong athletics history, with eight state basketball championships and three consecutive state volleyball championships.
- Ron Bonham: University of Cincinnati basketball player. Drafted by the Boston Celtics in 1964.
- Jim Davis (basketball): Played for the University of Colorado before being drafted 27th overall in the 1964 NBA draft. Played for the Atlanta Hawks, the Houston Rockets, and the Detroit Pistons.
- Ryan Kerrigan: Former Muncie Central High School and Purdue University football standout. Drafted 16th by the Washington Redskins in the 2011 NFL Draft.
- William "Pete" Lee: Super Heavyweight Greco-Roman Wrestler in the 1976 Olympics. Placed 5th.
- Ray McCallum: Two time state basketball champion at Muncie Central. One of only two retired basketball jerseys for Ball State. Drafted by the Indiana Pacers in the 8th round of the 1983 NBA. Currently the head basketball coach of the University of Detroit.
- Bonzi Wells – former professional basketball player for the NBA's Portland Trail Blazers, Memphis Grizzlies, Sacramento Kings, Houston Rockets and New Orleans Hornets.
- Official website
- Muncie Community Schools High School Consolidation Records Archives and Special Collections, Ball State University Libraries (PDF)
- Muncie High School Consolidation Oral History Project Digital Media Repository, Ball State University Libraries