Doorway to highrange
Cypress vine spotted in Mundakkayam
|• Body||Mundakayam Grama Panchayath|
|• Total||82.67 km2 (31.92 sq mi)|
|• Density||300/km2 (770/sq mi)|
|• Official||Malayalam, English|
|Time zone||IST (UTC+5:30)|
|Lok Sabha constituency||Pathanamthitta|
Mundakayam (Malayalam: മുണ്ടക്കയം) is a town in Kanjirappally Taluk in the eastern end of Kottayam District, Kerala state, South India. It is the Doorway to the high ranges of southern Kerala, and is at the border of Kottayam and Idukki districts. The nearest town, Kanjirappally, is 16 km (9.9 mi) from Mundakayam. Mundakayam has rubber plantations, and greenery. The Manimala River runs through Mundakayam.
Mundakayam is a land of coffee, pepper, cocoa and natural rubber. The rubber plantations in India had originated from Mundakayam, which was introduced by Mr. J.J.Murphy around 1910. An All India Agricultural & Industrial Exhibition was held here in 1967 which was inaugurated by Hindi film maker Sunil Dutt.
Places of worship
- Town Juma Masjid, Mundakayam
- Masjid Al Wafa, Mundakayam
- Salafi Juma Masjid, Mulamkayam, Mundakayam,
- Juma Masjid, Puthenchanda, Mundakayam
- Varikkani Juma Masjid, Varikkani, Mundakayam
- Vandanpathal Juma Masjid, Vandanpathal, Mundakayam
- Velanilam Juma Masjid, Velanilam, Mundakayam
- Highway Masjid, Paingana, Mundakayam
- Masjid, 31st mile, Mundakayam
- Juma Masjid, Chotty, Mundakayam
- Karinilam Juma Masjid, Karinilam, Mundakayam
- Masjid, 35th Mile, Mundakayam
- Parthasarathy Temple, Mundakkayam
- Valliyamkavu Devi Temple, Paloorkkavu
- Sree Dharma Sastha temple, Amaravathy
- Sree Subhramanya Swami temple, Boyce estate, 35th mile.
- Our Lady of Dolours Forane Church
- St. Thomas orthodox church, Paingana
- Holy Trinity C.S.I church
- St.Mary's Latin Church
- St Joseph's Malankara Church
- Bethel Marthoma Church
Cost of Living
The Malayala Manorama Daily once listed Mundakayam as the place with the highest cost of living in India. But it was a fake news. It is still included in the list of places whose consumer price indices are published by the Indian government Union Labour Ministry at regular intervals.
Mundakkayam is well connected to places like Kottayam, Kumily, Kattappana, Erumely and Koottikkal. N.H 183 from Kollam to Theni passes through Mundakayam town. Both privately operated and state-owned buses operates here from dawn to dusk.
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to Mundakayam.|