Mundaring Branch Railway
It has had a number of names in WAGR records – including the following:
- Smiths Mill Line (locality later known as Glen Forrest) after the Eastern Railway was moved to the new line to the north – 1890s to 1920s.
- The Mundaring Loop – 1930s to 1950s. also the Mundaring Line.
There was confusion in the naming of the Mahogany Creek Deviation. The Mahogany Creek railway stopping place was on the Mundaring Branch Railway between Glen Forrest and Mundaring. However the Mahogany Creek Deviation was the incorrect name for the new line that followed the line of the Jane Brook to Mount Helena It was on the second route of the Eastern Railway constructed of the Eastern Railway (Western Australia) 1880s to early 1890s, and it passed through the Swan View Tunnel, well to the north of the original Mahogany Creek stopping place and the creek itself.
It connected with the newer line at Mount Helena.
Mundaring was the junction point where the Mundaring Weir Branch Railway commenced.
Traffic ceased running 1954, the line was not closed by Parliament until 1966.
Following closure, it eventually became part of the Railway Reserve Heritage Trail.
Stopping places and sidings
- from Bellevue...
- Greenmount Quarry siding
- Mountain Quarry siding
- Hudman Road Quarry siding
- Glen Forrest (originally Smith's Mill)
- Statham Brickworks Siding
- Zamia (highest point on line at 1,007 feet)
- Mundaring Weir line just outside Mundarin railway yard
- Sawyers Valley
- then to Mount Helena...
- "SMITH'S MILL RAILWAY SERVICE". The West Australian. Perth: National Library of Australia. 9 January 1909. p. 9. Retrieved 4 April 2012.
- "SPECIAL EXCURSION to MUNDARING WEIR". The Sunday Times. Perth: National Library of Australia. 26 October 1913. p. 16. Retrieved 4 April 2012.
- "HILLS TRANSPORT". The West Australian. Perth: National Library of Australia. 9 December 1937. p. 14. Retrieved 4 April 2012.
- "THE PUBLIC WORKS DEPARTMENT". The Inquirer & Commercial News. Perth: National Library of Australia. 22 November 1895. p. 12. Retrieved 4 April 2012.
- "HILLS ALLOTMENTS". The West Australian. Perth: National Library of Australia. 25 May 1933. p. 15. Retrieved 4 April 2012.
- Le Page, J. S. H. (1986) Building a state : the story of the Public Works Department of Western Australia 1829-1985 Leederville, W.A : Water Authority of Western Australia. ISBN 0-7244-6862-5 page 216.
- "SAWYER'S VALLEY REQUESTS". Western Mail. Perth: National Library of Australia. 21 January 1898. p. 48. Retrieved 4 April 2012.
- Spillman, Ken (2003), Life was meant to be here : community and local government in the Shire of Mundaring, Shire of Mundaring, ISBN 978-0-9592776-3-0 chapter 7 Unmaking Tracks pp.105-120 for a good summary of events
- Affleck, Fred N. On track : the making of Westrail, 1950 to 1976 . Perth : Westrail, 1978. ISBN 0-7244-7560-5
- Elliot, Ian Mundaring a History of the Shire. 1983. ISBN 0-9592776-0-9
- Quinlan, Howard & Newland, John R. Australian Railway Routes 1854-2000 2000. ISBN 0-909650-49-7
- Watson, Lindsay The Railway History of Midland Junction. 1995. ISBN 0-646-24461-2