Munford High School
This article needs additional citations for verification. (May 2008) (Learn how and when to remove this template message)
|Munford High School|
1080 Mclaughlin Drive|
Munford, Tennessee 38058
|School district||Tipton County School District|
|Principal||Dr. Courtney Fee|
|Faculty||69.9 (on FTE basis)|
|Grades||9 to 12|
|Student to teacher ratio||18.7|
|Color(s)||Red and White|
Munford High School is noted in West Tennessee for its diverse academic offerings, high quality teachers, and its commitment to athletics and the arts, most notably its band program, regarded by some to be one of the best in Tennessee. The test scores show the school to be about the state average if not above average in some areas such as math. Munford High School's English and EOC Gateway exams were the highest in the state for the 2005-2006 school year and its 2009 State Writing Assessment scores were in the 99th percentile. The principal as of September 2013 is Dr. Courtney Fee. The assistant principals are Dr. Sharon Ivie and Octavia Winfrey-Crawford.
The school's location since 1983 is 1080 McLaughlin Drive. Previously, it was located on the current site of the Munford City Hall. Its mascot is the Cougar, adopted in 1983. Previous mascots were the Black Cat and the Tiger. The yearbook at one time was called the Conqueror, at least from 1947 to 1957, but is no longer published under that name. The school graduated its first class in 1930.
The school offers several academic courses, with many options in agriculture, health sciences, and industrial arts/vocational tech courses. A small number of AP courses are offered. A Dual Enrollment program with Dyersburg State Community College is also an option for some core classes, including English and History. A number of visual arts courses are offered, but few other arts courses are part of the curriculum.
The school receives most recognition for its band program, established in 1946. The band has won 18 University of Memphis Bandmaster's Championships since 1995. In 2007 and 2010 the band was named USSBA State Champions, and placed 3rd in their class at the USSBA National Championships in Baltimore, MD. In 2009, the band returned to the USSBA National Championship, placing 2nd overall, as well as receiving Highest Visual Score, Highest Percussion Score, and the United States Marine Corps "Esprit de Corps" award. In 2011, the band took first in the USSBA National Championship with the tightest National Championship winning margin in USSBA history, garnering twenty-five hundredths of a point higher than Immaculata H.S. from Somerville, N.J. Barry Trobaugh is the Director of Bands and Gary Fite (MHS c/o 86) and Mr.Doug Young. (MHS c/o 05) are the assistant directors. The school also has a baseball team, which was the 1991 state champion with a 29-1 record. The school softball team made its first state appearance at Murfreesboro in 2011 and has made back to back appearances since. The girls return in 2012 resulted in their first win at this level. In 2013, the school's advanced placement choir performed in Carnegie Hall with Z. Randall Stroope and with Foreigner as part of the band's 2013 tour.
- Aaron Fultz, pitcher who has played on several MLB teams, including the San Francisco Giants and the Cleveland Indians,
- Johnnie Jones, NFL and CFL football player, and a team captain for the 1984 Tennessee Volunteers football team
- Jacob Noe, football player; professional MMA fighter
- Hope Partlow, pop singer formerly on Virgin Records and Decca
- "Munford High School". National Center for Education Statistics. Retrieved 2008-05-20.
Students: 1310 (2005-2006)
- "Munford High School Test Scores". GreatSchools.net. 2006. Retrieved 2007-11-11.
- "Munford Band Awards". munfordband.com. 2010. Retrieved 2010-01-07.
- "Munford Band 2007 Awards". munfordband.com. 2007. Retrieved 2008-09-11.
- "Munford Band 2009 Awards". munfordband.com. 2010. Retrieved 2010-01-07.
- "2011 Open Class National Championships Review". http://www.yea.org/site/PageServer?pagename=ussbaUSSBA. 2011. Retrieved 2011-11-14. External link in
- "Munford Band Directors". munfordband.com. 2010. Retrieved 2010-01-19.
- "Softball Previews: Munford looks to stay a top district and return to State for third season". Millington Star. 2013. Retrieved 2013-10-21.
- "Aaron Fultz Statistics". The Baseball Cube. Retrieved 2008-05-20.