|Nickname(s): Twin City,City of Yoga|
|Founded by||Chandragupta Maurya|
|• Body||Munger Municipal Corporation|
|• Mayor||Kumkum Devi|
|• Municipal Commissioner||Prabhat Kumar Sinha|
|• Total||68 km2 (26 sq mi)|
|Elevation||43 m (141 ft)|
|• Rank||5th in Bihar|
|• Density||5,700/km2 (15,000/sq mi)|
|Time zone||IST (UTC+5:30)|
Munger (Angika and Hindi:मुंगेर) is a twin city and a Municipal Corporation situated in the Indian state of Bihar. It is the administrative headquarters of Munger district and Munger Division.It is the 5th largest city of Bihar and 2nd largest city in Eastern Bihar.
Historically, Munger is known for being an ancient seat of rule. The twin city comprises Munger and Jamalpur situated on the southern bank of the river Ganges. It is situated 60 km west of Bhagalpur, and 180 km east of capital city Patna.
|Climate data for Munger, India|
|Average high °C (°F)||23.5
|Average low °C (°F)||9.4
|Average precipitation mm (inches)||15
As per 2011 census, Munger Municipal Corporation had a total population of 3,88,000, out of which 2,00,000 were males and 1,88,000 were females. It had a sex ratio of 883. The population below 5 years was 42,260. The literacy rate of the 7+ population was 81.83 per cent.
Places of interest
- Munger Fort, covers an area of around 222 acres
- Chandika Asthan, a sacred Shakti-Peeth
- Kastaharni Ghat on the Ganges
- Bhimbandh Wildlife Sanctuary
Munger city has two railway station Jamalpur Junction and Munger Railway Station . Jamalpur Junction is the main rail head for the Munger city while Munger Railway Station , earlier called Purabsarai Railway Station act as suburban Railway Station and future major rail head connecting Jamalpur to the city.Jamalpur Junction(code:JMP) is situated around 9 km from Munger city center.
Munger is well connected to major cities of India like New Delhi, Mumbai, Kolkata, Banglore, Surat, Guwahati, Lucknow, Kanpur, Jammutawi, Vishakhapatnam, Bhagalpur, Patna, Gaya, Muzaffarpur, Ranchi, Jamshedpur and other major cities of the country by rail.a mega rail cum road bridge Munger Ganga Bridge connect Munger city to nearby cities of Begusarai, Khagaria and various other Districts of North Bihar. Now the bridge is open to public. it is the 3rd largest rail cum road bridge in India.Jamalpur Junction is one of the major railway junctions in India.
Buses, taxis and autorickshaws are available round the clock at Jamalpur Junction for Munger city. Jamalpur Junction is originating station for many Express and Passenger trains. The important trains originating from the Jamalpur Junction are: 1. Jamalpur-Howrah express 2. Jamalpur-Malda town Inter city Express and many passengers trains originate for nearby destination.
Munger is well connected to major parts of India by various National Highways and State Highways. It is well connected to major cities of Bihar and Jharkhand like Patna, Ranchi, Bhagalpur, Muzaffarpur, Jamshedpur, Dhanbad, Gaya, Bokaro and Darbhanga by NH 80,NH 333 and NH 333B and various other state Highways.regular Bus service are provided by BSRTC for all the major cities and nearby destination. Buses, Taxi and Auto Rickshaw are available for intra city transport. A mega Munger Ganga Bridge is under construction which will link Munger to various Districts of North Bihar and North Eastern part of the India by 2014 year end.
Munger has a small airport with no commercial service and used only for VIP movements. Nearest domestic airport with commercial service is Patna airport around 180 km away. Patna is served by all major airlines. Nearest international airport is Netaji Subhash Chandra Bose International Airport in Kolkata Which is around 480 km away from Munger.
Munger city has many industries in and around the city. The Indian Railway has one of Asia's largest and oldest railway workshops at Jamalpur. This workshop was set up by the Britishers in the year 1862. Junior railway Minister Adhir Ranjan Chowdhury released a commemorative postal stamp on Jamalpur Locomotive Workshop on the completion of 150 years of the workshop. Munger has India's oldest tobacco manufacturing unit. Initially it was started by Britishers; later it was taken over by ITC Limited. The tobacco manufacturing unit was started in 1905. Munger is also famous for gun manufacturing. Gun manufacturing in Munger is more than 200 years old.ITC Limited is also going to set up its first dairy plant in India in Munger city by mid-2014. It will be a modern state-of-the-art dairy plant set up at cost of 150 cr. Together with Jamalpur Locomotive Workshop, Gun Manufacturing and ITC Limited Dairy plant Munger has got Total investiment of around 500cr. Munger city has many small scale industries in and around the city.
- Saraswati Vidya Mandir, Munger.
- Vidya Sanskar, Munger.
- Notre Dame Academy, Munger (Estd.1957).
- Notre Dame Academy, Jamalpur(Estd.1950).
- Kendriya Vidyalaya, Jamalpur(Estd.1973).
- Dav Public School, Purabsarai.
- New Era Public School.
Munger Municipal Corporation operates many primary and secondary schools.
- RD&DJ College (Estd. 1898).
- Balmiki Rajniti mahila College (Estd. 1958).
- RSS Evening College, Munger.
- JMS College Website(Estd.1964).
- Jamalpur College (Estd. 1969).
- JRS college, Jamalpur.
- Indian Railways Institute of Mechanical and Electrical Engineering (Estd. 1928) Jamalpur
- Bihar School of Yoga (deemed university for yogic studies)
- Jamia Rahmani Khanqah (Urdu university)
Print Media available in the city are The Times Of India, Hindustan Times, The Telegraph, Dainik Jagran, Prabhat khabar and Hindustan. Radio broadcasting is provided by All India Radio and various other FM channels. Tele communications are provided by BSNL, Airtel, Aircel, Idea, Vodafone, Uninor and Reliance. The city based local TV channels are NK channel and MCN channel.
- Paramahamsa Niranjanananda Saraswati, famous yoga Guru
- Paramahamsa Satyananda Saraswati, founder of world famous Bihar School of Yoga
- Nandlal Bose, renowned Sculptor and Painter
- Krishna Singh, First CM of Bihar, freedom fighter and a Gandhian
- Kumar Suresh Singh, Director-General of Anthropological Survey of India and Zamindari family of Nayangaon
- Ramdhari Singh Dinkar, National Poet
- Brahmanand Mandal, famous political leader from Munger
- Ramdeo Singh Yadav, famous political leader from Munger
- "Census of India Search details". censusindia.gov.in. Retrieved 10 May 2015.
- "CDP Munger" (PDF). Urban department, Government of Bihar. Retrieved 21 March 2014
- "CDP Jamalpur" (PDF). Urban Department, Government of Bihar.Retrieved on 21 January 2014
- "Climate Data for Munger, India". weatherbase.Retrieved on April 8, 2014
- "weatherbase.com". weatherbase. 2014. Retrieved on April 8, 2014.
- "Cities having population 1 lakh and above" (PDF). Provisional Population Totals, Census of India 2011. Retrieved 2012-04-16.
- "census of india:Socio-cultural aspects". Government of India, Ministry of Home Affairs.Retrieved on 9 March 2014
- "Munger bridge likely to be operational by 2014 year end". The Times of India. 15 Apr 2013.Retrieved on 14 May 2014
- "top ten rail road bridges in india". walkthroughindia.Retrieved on 10 May 2014
- "Minister releases stamp on Jamalpur railway workshop". Times of India. 28 Nov 2013.Reterived on April 18, 2014
- "ITC begins construction of milk plant". Economic Times. 17 December 2012.Retrieved on 15 April 2014
- "Munger gets investiments worth Rs 500 cr". Times of India. 18 Feb 2015.Reterived on 16 march,2015
.comRetrieved on 12 APR,2014
.notredamejamalpur .orgRetrieved on 14 Aug 2014
.comRetrieved on 13 March 2014
.nepsmunger .comReterived on 17 Nov,2014
.bih .nic .in /MUNGER .xls /