Muni 2: Kanchana
Kanchana Theatrical Poster
|Directed by||Raghava Lawrence|
|Produced by||Raghava Lawrence|
|Written by||Raghava Lawrence|
|Edited by||Kishore Te.|
|Distributed by||Sri Thenandal Films|
|Budget||₹9 crore (US$1.4 million)|
|Box office||₹20 crore (US$3.2 million)|
Kanchana (Tamil: காஞ்சனா–முனி-2) is a 2011 Tamil comedy horror film directed, written and produced by Raghava Lawrence as a sequel to his previous venture, Muni (2007). The film features himself in the lead role with Sarathkumar in titular character and Lakshmi Rai in other roles. The film released on 22 July 2011, while a dubbed same-titled Telugu version was released a week earlier in Andhra Pradesh. In spite of mixed reviews from critics, the film became a commercial success in both languages. Now it is also going to remake in Sinhala in Sri Lanka and the unusual lead character is going to be portrayed by Ranjan Ramanayake.
Raghava (Lawrence Raghavendra) is a typical jobless youth who spends his days playing cricket with friends. He suffers from an irrational fear of ghosts, and retreats to the safety of his home after sunset. His fear is so great he prefers to sleep with his mother (Kovai Sarala) and have her accompany him to the bathroom at night. This creates major annoyance in the household, including Raghava's brother (Sriman), sister-in-law (Devadarshini) and their children.
One day, Raghava and his friends are forced to abandon their usual cricket ground and find a new one; they unwittingly select an abandoned ground which is rumored to be haunted. A bizarre weather change scares them away. Raghava brings home his cricket stumps, which have been stained with blood from a buried corpse in the ground. He focuses on wooing Priya (Lakshmi Rai), the sister of his sister-in-law. In the following days, his mother and sister-in-law are witness to several paranormal phenomena at night; prominently a ghost haunting the hallways. On consulting a priest, they perform 3 rituals to ascertain if the house is haunted:
1. They keep a coconut on a rangoli and pray to Lord Shiva. The coconut rotates on its own.
2. They make a cow eat food. The cow runs out of the house without eating the food.
3. They leave a lit lamp and two drops of blood and leave the house. A ghost of a woman appears before them and licks the blood.
Scared senseless, Raghava's mother and sister-in-law hire two priests (Mayilsamy and Manobala) to rid their home of the ghost. The priests, however, are conmen, and escape with their lives. That night, the ghost possesses Raghava, who begins acting increasingly effeminate, alienating himself from Priya and wearing women's clothes and jewelry. His family angrily confronts him, when it is revealed that there are actually three ghosts who have possessed him: a violent woman, a Hindi-speaking Muslim, and a mentally retarded boy. Raghava's family hires an exorcist, who successfully drives the spirit away from Raghava's body. The ghost of the woman, trapped, reveals her story.
Kanchana (Sarathkumar) is a transgender who was disowned by her parents. She is offered shelter by a kind Muslim (Babu Antony), who has a mentally retarded son. Regretting that she couldn't become a doctor as she intended, she adopts another young transgender, Geetha, and works hard to support her financially. When Geetha leaves to study medicine abroad, Kanchana buys a plot of land where Geetha intended to construct a hospital for the poor. That ground is unlawfully taken by crooked MLA Shankar (Devan). Kanchana angrily confronts the MLA, who cunningly kills her. He also kills Babu Antony and his son. Before she died, she vowed to kill Shankar, his wife, and his henchmen. The bodies are then buried in Kanchana's own ground.
The exorcist sympathizes with her, but remains duty-bound and traps her. After hearing her story, Raghava is touched; risking the danger, he allows Kanchana to possess him once again. Raghava/Kanchana confronts the MLA, and disposes of his henchmen gruesomely. The MLA seeks refuge in a Narasimha temple which Kanchana is forbidden from; but she asks the deity for justice and manages to chase him inside the temple. The three spirits combined kill the MLA. A few years later, Raghava has constructed the hospital for Geetha as per Kanchana's wishes. It is revealed that Kanchana exists symbiotically in Raghava's body to help him out when the need rises.
- Raghava Lawrence as Raghava
- Sarath Kumar as Kanchana
- Lakshmi Rai as Priya
- Sriman as Raghava's brother
- Devan as MLA Shankar
- Babu Antony as Bhai
- Kovai Sarala as Raghava´s mother
- Devadarshini as Kamakshi
- Priya as Geetha
- Manobala as fake priest 1
- Mayilsamy as fake priest 2
|1.||"Nillu Nillu Nillu Nillu"||Raghava Lawrence||Tippu|
|3.||"Karuppu Perazaga"||Vivega||Suchith Suresan, Darshana KT|
|4.||"Kodiavanin Kadhaya"||Vivega||Sriram, MLR.Karthikeyan and Malathy Lakshman|
Rediff wrote:"It is torturous and tedious to watch, the chills and thrills are not spine-chilling and a soundtrack that is supposed to be eerie is anything but. There's quite a bit of unintended comedy too". Greatandhra wrote:"As for Lawrence, his intention was to target the mass audience and he has been fairly successful in his attempt as compared to his prequel by infusing good depth and emotional intensity". Sify wrote:"On the whole, Kanchana is an entertaining affair and can be watched once".
According to Sify, Kanchana emerged 2011's most successful Tamil film based on return on investment. Its publicity cost was ₹1.5 crore, while its Telugu dubbing rights were sold to Bellamkonda Suresh for ₹4 crore. The film grossed a share of ₹20 crore at the end of its run. The film completed 50-day run at the box office. the film eventually completed 100 days and became a super hit
- Best Actor in a Supporting Role - Sarathkumar
Muni is the prequel of Muni:2 Kanchana this film released on March 9, 2007.
Sequel and remakes
In early 2012, sources claimed that Raghava Lawrence was planning to make a third part of Muni. Furthermore, it was suggested that Lawrence's brother might play the lead role in the sequel. Instead, he danced with his brother in a cameo for the film. Eventually the third installment Kanchana 2 was released on 17 April 2015. It was also a commercial success.
It has also been reported that Lawrence will be directing a Hindi remake of Kanchana with Shahrukh Khan in the lead, making his Bollywood directorial debut. Initially, Lawrence wanted to cast Salman Khan in the film, but the rumors were denied. Sanjay Dutt will be playing an important character as well. Rama Narayanan, who distributed the Tamil version has directed the Kannada remake of the film titled Kalpana with Upendra playing lead role and Sai Kumar playing the role of transgender and Lakshmi Rai playing the same role which was released in September 2012. In Sinhalese remake of Kanchana, Ranjan Ramanayake is playing the role initially portrayed by Sarath Kumar as Kanchana.Also been remade in Philippines as Da Possessed.
- Kanchana budget was 9 crore
- Lawrence`s Kanchana strikes gold
- "Friday Fiesta 220711 - Tamil Movie News". IndiaGlitz. 2011-07-22. Retrieved 2012-08-06.
- "'Kanchana', a big hit than expected". IndiaGlitz. 2011-07-22. Retrieved 2012-08-06.
- The New Indian Express - News on India, Politics, Business, Cricket & Sports
- Sheilah Wenning says: (2012-01-31). "Kanchana Muni — Part 2 (2011) Tamil MP3 Songs,Soundtracks,Music Album Download". Download South MP3. Retrieved 2012-08-06.
- "Review: Kanchana is torture to watch". Rediff. 2011-07-15. Retrieved 2013-06-24.
- Published Date : 15-Jul-2011 06:33:45 GMT (2011-07-15). "'Kanchana' Review: Horror On Emotion". Greatandhra.com. Retrieved 2013-06-24.
- "Movie Review : Kanchana". Sify. Retrieved 2013-06-24.
- "Kanchana review: Kanchana (Telugu) Movie Review — fullhyd.com". Movies.fullhyderabad.com. Retrieved 2013-06-24.
- "Kanchana Review". Behindwoods. 2011-07-04. Retrieved 2012-08-06.
- Ramachandran, Rohit (2011-07-22). "Kanchana Review". Nowrunning.com. Retrieved 2012-08-06.
- Kanchana completed 50-day run
- "Will There Be A Muni 3?". Behindwoods. 2012-03-01. Retrieved 2012-08-06.
- "Make way for 'Munni 3'! - Tamil Movie News". IndiaGlitz. 2012-02-29. Retrieved 2012-08-06.
- February 29, 2012 By Anupama Subramaniam DC chennai (2012-02-29). "Lawrence gearing up for a sequel". Deccan Chronicle. Retrieved 2012-08-06.
- Nabanita (2011-11-28). "Shahrukh Khan replaces Salman in Kanchana remake". Entertainment.oneindia.in. Retrieved 2012-08-06.
- Ramchander (2011-11-03). "Upendra to remake Kanchana?". Oneindia. Retrieved 2013-06-24.
- "Ranjan as Kanchana". Gossip Lanka News. 2012-05-04. Retrieved 2012-08-06.