List of cities and towns in Bangladesh
|This article is part of a series on the
politics and government of
According to Bangladesh Bureau of Statistics, The administrative populated areas which have population of 100,000 or more than that can be defined as a city in Bangladesh. The administrative populated areas which have population less than 100,000 are classified as towns. The following is a list of cities and towns in Bangladesh.
Large cities governed by City Corporations
Major cities of Bangladesh are governed by City Corporations.
Cities governed by pourashavas
|4.||Cox's Bazar||24.45||223,522||Cox's Bazar||Chittagong Division|
|7.||Nawabganj||32.09||180,731||Chapai Nawabganj||Rajshahi Division|
Towns governed by Pourashavas
Dhaka is by far the largest urban area as well as the largest metropolitan area in Bangladesh. Chittagong is the second largest city and urban area in Bangladesh as well as second largest metropolitan in Bangladesh while Rajshahi is the third largest metropolitan in Bangladesh. Other major cities with a population of more than 300,000 include Mymensingh, Narayanganj, Sylhet, Khulna,Rangpur,Bogra, Barisal and Comilla. The following table shows the largest populated area within a local government area.
- "Population Census 2011: National Volume-3: Urban Area Report" (PDF). Bangladesh Bureau of Statistics. p. 8. Retrieved 26 September 2017.
- "Population Census 2011: National Volume-3: Urban Area Report" (PDF). Bangladesh Bureau of Statistics. p. 24–25. Retrieved 26 September 2017.
- "National Volume-3: Urban Area Report" (PDF). Population and Housing Census 2011. Bangladesh Bureau of Statistics. August 2014. pp. 23–24.
- Subsequent to the 2011 census, the boundaries of Dhaka were significantly expanded: Partha Pratim Bhattacharjee; Mahbubur Rahman Khan (7 May 2016). "Govt to double size of Dhaka city area". The Daily Star. and "Dhaka City expands by more than double after inclusion of 16 union councils". bdnews24.com. 9 May 2016. Population has not been recalculated.
- Subsequent to the 2011 census, Comilla became a city corporation combining two pourashavas: "Welcome to Comilla City Corporation". Comilla City Corporation. Population has been recalculated accordingly.
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to Cities in Bangladesh.|