||This biography of a living person needs additional citations for verification. (July 2009) (Learn how and when to remove this template message)|
|James "Munky" Shaffer|
Munky performing at Rock im Park 2016
|Birth name||James Christian Shaffer|
|Also known as||Munky, Munk|
June 6, 1970 |
Bakersfield, California, United States
|Genres||Nu metal, alternative metal, funk metal|
|Occupation(s)||Musician, songwriter, producer|
|Labels||Emotional Syphon, EMI, Virgin, Roadrunner|
|Associated acts||Korn, Fear and the Nervous System, LAPD, Creep|
Munky was ranked at No. 26 of Guitar World's 100 Greatest Heavy Metal Guitarists of All Time. Shaffer's work with Korn has resulted in over 35 million albums sold.
February 22, 2005, Brian Welch left the band. Munky accepted his friend's choice and the two remained on good terms. When drummer David Silveria left the band, Munky said in an interview that he had a strong friendship with him and was very sad to hear that he had to leave.
On an interview about Brian Welch's departure, Munky said he felt pressure, because they were always working together, writing songs, and creating albums. But when Head left, he had to write all the guitar parts into one part, so Korn could play live, and he continued to play like that until Korn got a backing guitarist. Brian "Head" Welch officially returned to the band on May 2, 2013 to work on a new album to be released in October.
Fear and the Nervous System (2008–present)
On March 4, 2008, it was announced that Munky would be releasing a solo record on August 8, 2008 with his solo band Fear and The Nervous System which would feature Munky doing vocals and guitar, Brooks Wackerman of Bad Religion (who also performed on Korn's 8th album) on drums, Leopold Ross on guitar and programming, Bill Gould of Faith No More fame, and Zac Baird (Korn's keyboardist) on keyboards and programming. The record will be produced by Munky and Ross Robinson. Guitarist and friend Wes Borland originally recorded guitars for two songs on the album but they will not make the final cut. Borland also created cover art which will still be used. The band's debut album was originally due out August 8 but has been pushed back as the album has yet to be completed.
Recently on Modlife in October 2009 (Korn.com), Munky had explained that he would not be doing vocals on the new Fear and the Nervous System album because he's not "very good at singing". It was later announced that Steve Krolikowski of Repeater would be handling vocal duties.
Emotional Syphon Recordings (2006-present)
In 2006 Shaffer founded Emotional Syphon Records to give daring and diverse bands a chance to be heard. The first bands to be signed were Droid and Monster In The Machine, however Shaffer says he doesn't want to limit himself to only releasing metal acts but to create a multi-genre label.
On January 15, 2000 Shaffer married Stephanie Roush. Together, they had a daughter, Carmella Star Shaffer (born on June 23, 2001). In 2004 Shaffer and Roush got divorced. Shaffer then started to date the Albanian-American actress and model, Evis Xheneti in 2005. They were married on January 2, 2012, in Paris, France. They have two sons together: D'Angelo DraXon Shaffer (born on November 7, 2012) and Rocky Rebel Shaffer (born on August 20, 2015).
Shaffer predominantly uses Ibanez guitars, most often his signature model the Ibanez Apex 7-string model and Mesa Boogie Triple Rectifier & Diezel guitar amplifier. Like Brian did before leaving the band in 2005, he uses many pedals and effects to shape the distinct Korn sound. Munky describes his live pedal board as a "spaceship" because of the large, diverse quantity of effects he uses.
- With L.A.P.D.
- With Korn
- 1994 – Korn
- 1996 – Life Is Peachy
- 1998 – Follow the Leader
- 1999 – Issues
- 2002 – Untouchables
- 2003 – Take a Look in the Mirror
- 2005 – See You on the Other Side
- 2007 – Untitled album
- 2010 – Korn III: Remember Who You Are
- 2011 – The Path of Totality
- 2013 – The Paradigm Shift
- 2016 - The Serenity Of Suffering
- With Fear and the Nervous System
- 2011 – Fear and the Nervous System
- Family Tree Legends
- "Guitar World's "100 Greatest Metal Guitarists of All Time" – Blogcritics Music". Blogcritics.org. Retrieved June 8, 2011.
- Dinsdale, Nathan (August 19, 2004). "Munky Biz". Archived from the original on September 6, 2012.
- "News". KoRn Central. Archived from the original on March 15, 2012. Retrieved 2011-12-07.
- "Korn Guitarist James Munky Shaffer Marries Actress Evis Xheneti in Paris". January 6, 2012. Retrieved January 16, 2012.
- "Artist Direct Interview: James Muky Shaffer of Korn". Genres.artistdirect.com. Retrieved 2011-12-07.
- Korn – Munky Guitar Gear Rig and Equipment Uberproaudio.com Retrieved: 20099-05-15
- Ibanez APEX Archived October 2, 2008, at the Wayback Machine.
- "Munky and Fieldy of Korn". Mesa Boogie. Archived from the original on January 2, 2012. Retrieved 2011-12-07.
- "James "Munky" Shaffer". Guitar FX Depot. August 2, 2010. Retrieved 2011-12-07.