|Origin||Murshidabad, West Bengal, India|
Munni Begum was born in Murshidabad, West Bengal, India. The youngest child of seven children, she first started taking music lessons from the famous singer Ustad Khwaja Ghulam Mustafa Warsi. Subsequently, she studied in the school of music for three years, and thereafter she launched her career.
Her parents migrated from India to East Pakistan in the early 1950s; East Pakistan later became independent Bangladesh. She studied in PAF Shaheen School, Dhaka; however, she moved to Pakistan before graduating from high school, due to Bangladesh Independence War of 1971.
Munni Begum begum career as a singer in Karachi in 1970s. Begum released her first album of ghazals in 1976. It became a smash hit and broke all previous records.
Munni Begum is married, and has two daughters, Muniba Hasnain and Minara Umer, and a son Syed Asad Ali.
As for Begum’s hit ghazals, the list is nearly endless - listen to Munni Begum's famous ghazals online. Some of these are:
- Jhoom barabar jhoom sharabi
- Har qadam zehmatein…
- Tumhare sheher ka mausam bada suhana lage…
- Ek Bar Muskura Do
- Awaargi Mein Had Se Guzar Jaana Chahiye
- Bewafa Se Bhi Pyar Hota Hai
- Bhoolne Wale Se Koi Kehde
- Dil Ko Hale Karar Mein Dekha
- Idhar zindagi ka janaza uthe ga
- bhujhi hoi shama ka dhuaan hun
- Mareez e mohabbat unhi ka fasana
- Munni Begum Khoobsurat Ghazlein Vol 1
- Awagi Vol-28
- Meri Pasand Vol. 1
- Meri Pasand Vol. 2
- Masti Mein Surahi Jhoomti Hai Vol. 1
- Masti Mein Surahi Jhoomti Hai Vol. 2
- An Evening With Munni Begum
- New Ghazals Vol. 26
- Munni Begum Vol-21
- Munni Begum Vol-20
- Meri Pasand
- Munni Begum
- Munni Begum In Concert Vol. 4
- Munni Begum In Concert Vol. 3
- Munni Begum In Concert Vol. 2
- Munni Begum In Concert Vol. 1
- Pride of Performance Award (2008)
- "Hit Songs of Munni Begum". Pakistan Television Corporation. Retrieved 19 November 2009.[dead link]
- "Munni Begum: A Symbol of Simplicity". Pakistan Music. April 1, 2003. Retrieved 19 November 2009.